Longer torsion bar bolt?

-

Operator23

Sevare Vitas
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can put longer torsion bar bolts in an A body LCA. The one on my driver side is screwed in Flush with the LCA. The one on the passenger side still has about 1/2" left to screw in. I am trying to get another 1/2" to 1" of lift on the front end of my 67 barracuda. I just went from stock wheels and tires to 15×7s with 225s and I'm trying to get some more clearance.

Thank you Gentleman. I think I know the answer to this one but...if I try to buy used ones is there anyway to tell if they are still in good shape?

You need a total of ZERO knicks or scratches, and once they are installed, they are indexed side to side with the numbers out the back where you can see them. Don't fool around. Put them in how they came out of the donor. Attention to clocking preferred.

PS: don't fear bigger bars. The spring rates stock are laughably soft, for that 70's 'cloud ride' bullshit they we're into back then.

The possibilities... bars failing is certainly possible.
Big block sitting where a slant 6 was.
Maybe the suspension has been apart and bars were not clocked properly at reinstall.
As these bars bow as they age. That can be checked with a straight edge.
If you see new lower ball joints, etc.., maybe reassemble can cure it.

if ya added superstock springs, it takes more screwing on one side than the other to compensate for the difference in the SS springs???????

Thank you Gentleman. I think I know the answer to this one but...if I try to buy used ones is there anyway to tell if they are still in good shape?

No, you can't tell how good of shape they are in. All springs fatigue and it builds up over time. I do not know why people like to reuse old leaf springs and torsion bars that already have some fatugue in them, it's only going to get worse... There is no way to tell how much fatigue in in a spring or torsion bar.

Do you buy food that has already been chewed???

Buy a new set.

I bought a used set of 383 bars for my 340 car and they work great but they were in great condition when I bought them.

In my experiences I have found 2 lengths of T-bar bolts. IIRC, 3" & 3-1/2". Also coarse and fine threads. My 68 now has a 73-76 style K with matching LCA's to use the matching sway bar. The t-bar bolts are coarse thread so that may be the switch-over date. The 68 parts I removed were fine thread and 3" long. Because of the collection of parts I put together, one side is 3" and the other 3-1/2". Shrugs. I'd prefer they were matching 3" but it works fine.

Maybe your adjusting bolts are 2 different lengths.

A lot of great input, I am taking it all!

Is there a good you tube video or other straight forward instructions on changing torsion bars.

Does anyone know if you can put longer torsion bar bolts in an A body LCA. The one on my driver side is screwed in Flush with the LCA. The one on the passenger side still has about 1/2" left to screw in. I am trying to get another 1/2" to 1" of lift on the front end of my 67 barracuda. I just went from stock wheels and tires to 15×7s with 225s and I'm trying to get some more clearance.

They will turn in until they are inside the lower control arm, did you try adjusting them yet?

-
Back