Look what i found !

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Cleaning up my 4spd trany & look what I found. Never thought I would find this.

001.JPG

I'm stupid. What's the significance? Is that some kinda original factory marking?

Damn Rob, you ARE slippin. That's the rare never heard of "602" A833!!

Damn Rob, you ARE slippin. That's the rare never heard of "602" A833!!

I must be. lol

I wasn't makin light of it. I was really askin. I don't know a lot about factory markins like that. Probably cause I blasted most of mine off through the years. LOL

Maybe its just me but I got excited when seen this. You don't see things like this to often. Its a 47 year old car. All the 4spds, rear ends & cars them selves that I have cleaned up I never saw any factory paint or crayon markings. Does anyone know of a site that I can go on that will tell me where to find factory markings & what they mean ?

Last edited:
Nice to have original documentation! Galen's books have those trans codes in, it designates what model, engine and year the trans was installed to

Check if you have the broadcast sheet. That number 602 might appear in the transmission box. It csn also be the 3 last dogits in the pinion box indication gear ratio for the speedometer. X might be for checked transmission.

I'm pretty(somewhat) sure that the x means it's got oil in it. That's what they did on rear ends. As to the 602, who knows?
Find out who "Rock" is while you're researching.

Maybe its just me but I got excited when seen this. You don't see things like this to often. Its a 47 year old car. All the 4spds, rear ends & cars them selves that I have cleaned up I never saw any factory paint or crayon markings. Does anyone know of a site that I can go on that will tell me where to find factory markings & what they mean ?

That "X" could be for when a supplier ships a part with a defect, then has to certify all stock coming in for the next three months to be free of that defect. They are required to mark the certified stock somehow so they can identify it later if it comes up with another defect... It happens daily at a manufacturing plant...

They don't keep track or publish that information... The only people that would have it would be the supplier and the supplier quality representative at the assembly plant, and that info would have been weeded out/thrown out long ago....

A "X" marking means checked and completed. The 602 has to do with shift and personal. IIRC

An "X" doesn't mean defect, defective, etc.....

We do similar markings at my job in the shop. The simple markings are for the torqued bolts. Once tightened to spec, a liquid wax pen is used to run a head on the bolt head down onto the main body of the structure or conn front part.

The Chrysler part number for that trans is 3410608 and the CDE number is 602. That code is correct for a 1969 A-Body with a 383 4-speed and was also used with other engines in a 69 A-Body. That code is also on your broadcast sheet for the trans and would be on a Lynch Road Plant Fender tag if that car was produced there. Good chance it could be your original trans and your pad should show your vin sequence if it is. I have had a lot of 4-speeds through the years with these type of 3 digit codes on and every one i checked matched what was in the book for CDE with what car/engine combo it came from, all the way from a Hemi Cuda to other 6-pak cars including AAR & T/A which have their own numbers. Like i said very important documentation especially if the trans is vin matching to your car

The 602 was stenciled on so the guy reading the 602 on the broadcast sheet knew which transmission to pick out for the car.

602.JPG

The Chrysler part number for that trans is 3410608 and the CDE number is 602. That code is correct for a 1969 A-Body with a 383 4-speed and was also used with other engines in a 69 A-Body. That code is also on your broadcast sheet for the trans and would be on a Lynch Road Plant Fender tag if that car was produced there. Good chance it could be your original trans and your pad should show your vin sequence if it is. I have had a lot of 4-speeds through the years with these type of 3 digit codes on and every one i checked matched what was in the book for CDE with what car/engine combo it came from, all the way from a Hemi Cuda to other 6-pak cars including AAR & T/A which have their own numbers. Like i said very important documentation especially if the trans is vin matching to your car
Thank you for the info. Yes the vin # on the trans matches the # on my dash. So does the engine block. I could not find the build sheet & the fender tag is gone.

Nice I know 2 yr old thread but here are some my old factory grease marks under hood 1971 340 Duster. I replicated the marking “W” under the hood was cool to find I believe it was used for the V24 “wedge340” callouts Other is 3 and 4 not sure what those meant

74FB6F48-18C3-43E7-BA38-632C7492C37B.jpeg

2633676F-DDC0-4602-9251-7B1E5BE28BC5.jpeg

1EE4D098-A0C2-47DC-952A-16133E387C21.jpeg

02676AB0-C542-4CA9-86E8-82C73CBAF4B1.jpeg

BFC76CC9-57A9-477A-B287-C6DEF133A638.jpeg

C4EF80F4-EA83-4C96-931F-E008BFF95012.jpeg

-
Back