Look what I stumbled across yesterday...

-
If you REALLY want one...you will find one.

I've had the opportunity to buy:

65 Ute

68 Ute

74 Falcon

69 Wayfarer (wagon)

(oops that makes the 70 the FIFTH one!)

What I REALLY want is a 73 Brazilian Charger R/T (68/69 Dart with buttress panels and totally cool grille).

Wayfarer is not a wagon, That's the ute (upmarket version). The wagons are called Safari wagons

I have two Safaris (a '68 and a '70) and two utes (a '68 and '69)

Correct, must have had synaptic mis-fire.

I also miscounted.

Any of yours manual trans?

Are they 833 family or local source?

LOL at the dodgy hand stamped option plate on that yellow Charger. Aussie id/option plates are on the RHS cowl and feature VIN as well. And the claim that it's an R/T is just laughable.

That Aussie Charger is a CL (they stopped making R/T's fives years before that model) and an E49 car is worth big bucks (think American hemi-cuda money).

While in Australia that yellow CL charger would get $7-10K if it's rust free (good bodies are getting hard to find), it's not R/T and in the 'States it's gonna be hard to find panels.

Regardless of how many you have been around that were for sale, generally speaking, those Aussie A-bodies are RARE in the USA. $7k would be more than I would pay, but I could easily see someone paying that - and being very happy restoring it.

Correct, must have had synaptic mis-fire.

I also miscounted.

Any of yours manual trans?

Are they 833 family or local source?

One of the Safaris and both utes are factory manuals. Unfortunately we didn't get the 833. Chrysler Australia was big on using locally sourced parts so we got a relatively weak Borg Warner three-speed. None of our early A-bodies got 4-speeds. The 4-speed Borg Warner didn't come along until the Aussie Charger hit the scene in 71 and even the first Chargers didn't get them, the 4-speed came along in '72.

I'd like to convert my '68 wagon to Dart spec with a 833 4-speed, but I fear the 4-speed parts are just going to be too pricey.

Topic one- trans:

Thanks, that's good to know.
I knew the South American cars got locally sourced Eaton units with the shifter in the center of the trans tunnel if on the floor. The Safari I was looking at had a /6 three on the tree, and I was considering a floor shifter or 4 speed o/d box upgrade. Now I know that will be harder. Is the BW unit similar/interchange with T5 or something else stateside?

Topic 2- cobbled cars:

Quite a few that I have seen in the states have been cars with different front clips, and or marketed as things they are not. For me, I can live with that as long as I know what I'm getting and the price reflects it. Bogus VIN/tag, OTOH, is BS.

I actually did know the yellow car was not an R/T, but didn't really get a good look at an Aus fender tag until I saw that 70 up close.
It appears that they used some of the same codes for body style (23 for example), but lots of everything else is different.

Topic one- trans:

Thanks, that's good to know.
I knew the South American cars got locally sourced Eaton units with the shifter in the center of the trans tunnel if on the floor. The Safari I was looking at had a /6 three on the tree, and I was considering a floor shifter or 4 speed o/d box upgrade. Now I know that will be harder.

Topic 2- cobbled cars:

Quite a few that I have seen in the states have been cars with different front clips, and or marketed as things they are not. For me, I can live with that as long as I know what I'm getting and the price reflects it. Bogus VIN/tag, OTOH, is BS.

I actually did know the yellow car was not an R/T, but didn't really get a good look at an Aus fender tag until I saw that 70 up close.
It appears that they used some of the same codes for body style (23 for example), but lots of everything else is different.

Without a proper VIN I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. You can see the proper VIN on the Blue VG Coupe. Interesting to note though that they didn't get those VIN tags until the 1970 VG though, so if you do happen to find an earlier car it may not have a VIN tag (Some '69 VF got them but not all and nothing before that). The VIN is also stamped into the top of the inner RHS fender/guard on all Aussie Valiants.

As for the 833 4-speed conversion. It's not unthinkable, but not a bolt in. You'd have to do the same a-body floorpan conversion that US cars seem to have (the tunnel kickout) and if you kept it RHD you'd have to use a hydraulic throw-out bearing for the clutch.

Also remember that the 69/70 Aussie A-body car have longer factory sheetmetal and chassis rails up front. The 68 is the same as the Dodge Dart but later cars are longer by 3-4in and so you can't convert the sheetmetal over to Dart without doing some fairly heavy surgery.

If you need any help decoding or just want to know about Aussie A-body stuff just pop me a message.

I must have been editing my post while you were responding...

Do you think a T5 would work in place of the factory B/W 3 speed?

Yes, big fan of RHD.

I also stumbled on an RHD 2007 postal jeep last weekend.

Current owner bought it for $1000 at a yard sale!
Has turned down $3500, but that gives me a starting point :)

A little Aussie tidbit:The Valinats with parking lights on the front fenders like this, are called "Sergeant in arms" in Oz......If it was an aussie Charger, with a hemi & a 6pack, with a cogger, I'd be all over it....This is my buddies Nats Charger in oz, he bought it 3 years ago for $1500.00 australian, it all original, 3 on the tree, but no 6pack

Attachments

• pik 194.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 168
  • pik 196.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 164
This UTE:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/wow-r...item35c8cf94aa

I was at my buddies house outside Brisbane, and his friend comes over in one of these, with the biggests bad 'A' BB in it. It ran low 11's on street tires. They have to be really cool and keep a low profile there, because the police hassle them about everything. (no scoops etc.)
It has to go through a ridge inspection if anything is changed on the car.Turbo, engine swamp etc.
Lis which includes basic insurance (mandatory) is like $800.00 for a 4 cyl, $1500.00 for a 6 cyl, and 2 grand a year for a V8. I may be a little off, but this is close.
My buddy imported a 73 Cuda, converted it to RH, and it was a nightmare for inspection. You can now have Left hook cars in oz, if they are older. Funny thing is, you have to get out and walk around to pay your toll at the plaza's!
Gas is like $8.00 a gal, and the exchange is about the same.Our dollar is equal with theirs!

Rays Cuda, runs low 11's on street tires. It has 440 with a roller cam and aluminum heads. I got to race it at Willowbank 2/2/2002. The wildest thing is to have jet lag after flying 19 hrs. then climbing into the passenger side seat with the dash backwards.I have a 73 Cuda, so it really throws me off. If that isn't enough, you start driving through traffic on the wrong side of the road.

Attachments

• pik 019.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 156
  • pik 022.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 153
A little Aussie tidbit:The Valinats with parking lights on the front fenders like this, are called "Sergeant in arms" in Oz......

Um, What? Where did you hear that?

If it was an aussie Charger, with a hemi & a 6pack, with a cogger, I'd be all over it....This is my buddies Nats Charger in oz, he bought it 3 years ago for $1500.00 australian, it all original, 3 on the tree, but no 6pack

If he picked up that car for $1500 in the last three years that's the deal of the century. In Australia a limelight Charger looking as nice as that one is $15-20K minimum.

The get a feel for Charger prices here, think what you guys would pay for a '69 Cuda Fastback in similar condition.

That is a very tidy ute. It's a nice as anything you'll find here. It's missing the dash pad though, they've filled and smoothed the holes where it attaches - it took me a moment to work out what they've done there. I'd fix that striaght away because it looks odd as hell. But to find a ute as straight and rust free as this is very rare. It's nicer than either of my utes to be honest.

The Dodge was the base model of the Aussie utes. It's factory white with Tan trim (that colour trim isn't original) and the options indicate a 3.23 Sure-Grip Diff (D53) and a Laminated Windscreen (windshield) (G18). Who knows if either of those are still with the car. It appears to be a factory Auto ute as well. Not sure it's that rare but as far as I seen most of the econo-spec Dodges were workhorses and bought with column manual transmissions.

It's obviously been resto'ed at some point and some of the paint runs (and the way they've done the dash) makes me wonder about the quality of the resto. The engine is a non-factory colour. Get me an engine number and I'll tell you what it is, it could be a 215, 245, or 265. The 265 wasn't available in these utes but given that it's over 40 years old anything is possible now. If it's a 265 you're on a winner. To identify look at the engine number and the first two digits D1 = 215ci (which is poo, the slant is better), D2 = 245ci (okay), D3 = 265 which is want you want to see. to put it in perspective think small block v8s, 318 is meh, 360 is nice, but everyone wants the 340. :)

Someone has given it some love though, and condition of the tray area (especially the inner guards) leads me to believe it's had a very easy life. The air-con is non-standard and the car does look pretty good overall. Get your bondo magnet out though because the utes are moisture traps and prone to rust.

If the car is as rust free as it appears it's an easy $10-12K car here in Australia, but not particularly rare or special so don't feel bad if you want to drop a small block into it (I guess the Hemi would be a bit of a talking point over there though). If you're lucky someone has swapped a 265 into it as some point which would make it a lively driver.

What are they asking in terms of sticker price?

LOL, I just noticed the Ad does say 265 Hemi which is good (check the engine numbers anyway) but why the hell did they put the "Hemi 265" badges so far up on the front guards (front fenders)?

@blown hemi...Yes, $1500.00. My friend is a mobile mechanic in Loganlia area.This was an old customers car, and he laid it on them for this kind of cash.I wanted one that was clapped out so bad to import, and use for a race car here.But your right, there are just too dear now.
We went out to Waric (sp) one year to some road coarse (there was a dirt bike track and a 1/8th mile drag strip there too). There was a bunch of these Chargers. Some old bloke owned a radiator shop in Waric, and had a bunch of them that he was restoring, and making into Pro Street cars.A couple of the ones at the track had 340 V8's in them.Real nice cars.
"Sergeant in arms" is a term I heard in the Brisbane area several times by some of my friends there.
I have been there 4 times, I have a 3 page list of terms I picked up just listening to people. My favorite is "watch out for the barkers eggs". My friends are old school, and try to keep some of the older lingo going.
Sad, and don't take offense, but you guys have too much American TV and it kind of mellowed your awesome accent. But it is still funny when my friend visits here, because peoples eye's glaze over he starts talking, because my American friends don't get much of what he is saying. Like, He was giving me grief at the finish line, or I am going to ballon the baggies, or I want to throw a big skid.
I've been with Ray so much, we went over to New Zealand once together for 2 weeks,and he has been here several times, so I totally understand him. But there was a time when I had to stop him, and ask questions all the time about what he ment with what he said!
Ta Ta
Chris

@blown hemi...Yes, $1500.00. My friend is a mobile mechanic in Loganlia area.This was an old customers car, and he laid it on them for this kind of cash.I wanted one that was clapped out so bad to import, and use for a race car here.But your right, there are just too dear now.
We went out to Waric (sp) one year to some road coarse (there was a dirt bike track and a 1/8th mile drag strip there too). There was a bunch of these Chargers. Some old bloke owned a radiator shop in Waric, and had a bunch of them that he was restoring, and making into Pro Street cars.A couple of the ones at the track had 340 V8's in them.Real nice cars.
"Sergeant in arms" is a term I heard in the Brisbane area several times by some of my friends there.
I have been there 4 times, I have a 3 page list of terms I picked up just listening to people. My favorite is "watch out for the barkers eggs". My friends are old school, and try to keep some of the older lingo going.
Sad, and don't take offense, but you guys have too much American TV and it kind of mellowed your awesome accent. But it is still funny when my friend visits here, because peoples eye's glaze over he starts talking, because my American friends don't get much of what he is saying. Like, He was giving me grief at the finish line, or I am going to ballon the baggies, or I want to throw a big skid.
I've been with Ray so much, we went over to New Zealand once together for 2 weeks,and he has been here several times, so I totally understand him. But there was a time when I had to stop him, and ask questions all the time about what he ment with what he said!
Ta Ta
Chris

All you got to do is head out west and you'll here the iconic aussie accent loud and clear. I can remember as a kid a city teacher was transferred to our school and he started laughing at our accents. We were real bush kids.

Barker's Eggs - LOL. I've heard that a few times, but the Sergeant in Arms expression must be a QLD thing.

I can imagine our Aussie slang can be a bit confusing at times. I actually find myself modifying what I write on US forums quite a bit to put forward something that should be understood on your side of the pond.

The 1/8th mile Dragstrip must be Warwick. I've been past there a few time but never raced there. I live in southern NSW which puts me about 1300km from Warwick.

That Black RHD Cuda looks interesting. That WOULD be odd driving it!

@blownhemi:Yes, it is Warwick.Ray with the Cuda, has a Pantara, he broke it at the road coarse, then we had to get a tray to get it home.I had driven his Holden Ute out, so we had wheels. So we stopped at Willowbank on the way home there was a Test and tune and our other friend Andy was there in his BB blown Chevy.
I should have said my friends in Australia call those "Sergeant in arms", not that is what "they" call them, because it appears not everybody in Oz calls them that.
But "your alright mate"
@frankenduster: Yes it is strange.When you get on it, you are sitting on the other side of the torque. It feels real starnge.Willowbank drag strip at the time, used a 4 teenths blink down tree instead of a 5 teenths, that was hard to get used to.
The harder thing is Rays ute is 3 on the tree. It is on the left side of the column, but the pattern is backwards too. So when ever I stop, I have to think about where 1st is, then I always hit reverse shifting. He always tells me he has to put a new clutch and tranny in every time I visit!
We were there durning the big Brisbane floods in 2011. We were on Frazier Island, and came back through Rainbow beach.Only because Ray knew all the back roads to take we barely got back to Brisbane, then the next day, barely got out of the airport, because they closed the big bridge (gateway) over the river because of all the boats and docks coming down. But we did get out, and went to Sydney.

Yes, we were riding Harley's too, and kept going south along the coast to get away from the rain.It was O.K. at "Surfers Paridise".It was quite an adventure.
Didn't get to do some "Captian Cooks" we wanted to do. Didn't get to go to Australian Zoo. I had been there twice,saw the man before he died, but my wife hadn't.
We did get in a day of the New Years Nationals at Willowbank, and got to see all those toads in the womens toilets!....Man you are up early? Or haven't gone to bed yet?

So...I'll take a 15% finder's fee, if anyone is interested...

Think it sold at the Indy Mecum auction in may

Didn't look real close, but was a dirty turd when I 1st seen it. The clean up guys done their magic, as much as they could, to clean it up before the sale.

Go to Mecum.com and find selling price

The get a feel for Charger prices here, think what you guys would pay for a '69 Cuda Fastback in similar condition.

That's exactly what I do, but I add a bit for odd or wow factor.

Some people seem to think something is worth twice as much as a similar US car in the same condition, just because it's from somewhere else.

I checked several times on import cost when I wanted one so bad I was thinking about importing. That was a few years ago, and it was 2K and I'm sure if I dug deeper (it was a pro car importer) I could have done better.
(There's a reason stuff is cheaper to make in china and ship here)

I don't know the sticker price for the Ute, I only saw the listing.
I agree it does look better in the pics, than the 2 door, but the 2 door looked 5 times better in the pics than it actually was.

The fiero convertible I originally stopped to look at was indeed bought at the Kiss Mecum auction. I was told a price of 4K, but the Mecum record shows 14K!!! 4-5K is the actual going price for those cars in that condition. IDK on that.

Um, I can't see the front markers on the car I was supposed to look at the front markers.....

This has turned into quite the interesting and informative thread.

Thanks to you folks from Down Under for sharing.

How about my B/W T5 question?

Just reviving this old post...

...it seems I've located yet another Australian car near me that may be for sale.

It's a 73 falcon and is in a lot owned by people I'm somewhat acquainted with.

It is not currently for sale, but several other cars in the lot are.

Their reply to my correspondence indicated that it may be for sale soon.

I'll update when I have more info.

-
Back