Lookie what I built!

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been going to school the past few weekends to learn how to build guitar amplifiers and I just finished my 18 watt amplifier head today! It sounds bloody amazing too! :mrgreen: :evil4:

Attachments

• IMAG0299.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 345
  • IMAG0300.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 322
I still cant get over how damn good this thing sounds, and I built it all. Looks like I have a new expensive hobby..... :headbang: :rock:

The pre-amp tubes are 12ax7s, and the power tubes are el84s. I want to build another one with el34s, which would be closer to 50 watts depending on the transformers I use.

class ab push pull vacume tube amplifier. grate havent heard of anyone building one of those for 40 years. i used to be into that stuff. did transistor amps to

Very cool stuff. Post up a clip or two of how it sounds...

I've wanted to build a bass amp, but it's pretty low on the project list.

Nice! I can dig it. Can you build one to run an 12 vdc? And have a cig. adapter?

Thanks everyone. I'm actually thinking about switching to a larger set of power tubes, since I still have 3 more weeks of class and a pair of tubes and tube sockets aren't too expensive, probably a set of el34s which would bump the wattage up to around 40-50. I'm also considering what kinda cabinet I want to build for it, maybe something out of thick colored plexiglass with vents cut for the tubes of course.

This is a Marshall jtm 45 build that I thought was pretty cool. Someday soon I want to build myself a jmp 2204 clone 50 watt Marshall head..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6U08udfjMQ"]How To Build a British JTM 45 Plus - YouTube[/ame]

Trust me, I know. Lol It's been on Craigslist the past couple weeks. Been looking for a decent slant six a-body but there isn't really one around right now in my price range. One with working ac, and that got more then 20mpg would be nice too. who knows what will happen with that.

That's really cool! Isn't it a blast to build something and it works really good when you're done. I have a customer on my tool route that has built some cool lectric' guitars. My son has built some kick azz computers. I built the engine in my Dart. It must be a guy thing. LOL You'll have to take a video so we can hear it in action. Nothing like a tube type amp!!!!! tmm

Trust me, I know. Lol It's been on Craigslist the past couple weeks. Been looking for a decent slant six a-body but there isn't really one around right now in my price range. One with working ac, and that got more then 20mpg would be nice too. who knows what will happen with that.

you were given up by your neighbor at MATS lol...

Very cool Rockerdude. I cut my teeth on repairing old tube type and hybrid TV's in the 70's when I was just a kid. I never built any audio amps, except for pre-amps, but I did build a few RF amps for my ham radio gear. Right now I'm in the middle of a 300 watt transistor HF amp with built in power supply project.

I like the idea of the see through Plexiglas cabinet but don't forget to make a way for all the heat to get out or them tubes won't last long. Some air holes in the Plexiglas and in the chassis with a sucker fan under the chassis drawing through it will vent it good and keep the Plexiglas nice and cool.

-
Back