Lookin for help

-

dropshot1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, dont know were to start, my 340 has started with a pretty loud ticking noise, dont know were to start or what to do. Looking for some advice pls and thank you

Try to isolate where it is coming from and the tempo . And is it a tick or a knock ?

What does it make the noise? Startup, when cold, when warm, when under acceleration, when in gear, when driving? Have you done any work to it lately like exhaust modifications? How is the oil pressure?

Open a YouTube account and post your videos there. Then post link here. Videos can't be directly linked here unfortunately.

A loud tick could be an exhaust leak. I've used an 18" long socket extension holding one end towards my ear and the other end on different places of the exhaust manifolds to narrow down where a noise is coming from.

Keep far away from the fan and the battery!!!!

A little more info would help. Could be many things, exhaust leak, valve adjustment, a hyd lifter going away, torque converter bolts, even a fuel pump going away.

I agree that a video would be helpful and i'm sure if you have a oil pressure gauge nothing drastic has happened there.

did it start right after an oil-change?
Mine did that once .........................
Which led to a bigger cam, an overdrive and a deeper starter gear. I'ma thinking that mightabin a $5000C dollar touch. Make it $6000C cuz I think I installed a new clutch shortly after that, lol.

Put this on your mechanical fuel pump area and listen for the arm to jump off the actuator lobe attached to your cam.

Screenshot_20231126-225210.png

Stethoscope is good. A long piece of heater hose also works by moving one end around the engine and the other end in your ear.

As a retired mechanic, I've found nothing pinpoints where sound is coming from better than a long 3/8" drive extension. Just put the male end different places on the engine while running and stick the female end against your ear. As mentioned, keep clear of the battery, fan and belts. You can even put the car on jack stands and use it to pinpoint noises under the car. Good luck!

-
Back