Looking at building a 360

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Looking at having a 360 built for me and wondering if the 302 heads are as good on a 360 as they are on a 318. If not what heads should I be looking for? Thanks

small valves and small ports will choke the 360 at about 4000 rpm...

any 360 head from 70s, 80s..

Yup- you'll want the '308' heads, which were for the roller cam'd 360 motors...

Ok, thanks for that. Now that it has been mentioned I was informed of that before. There is just so much info and combinations its hard to keep it all straight.

Staightline,if building from scratch 360,make sure you get some pistons.Compression kills these. Budget a matter. Pop for some K.B 's(107's ,are a favorite!),What's your budget? That 2 points compression,opens all kinds of possiblilities. Airflow/ camshaft/ compression,make it all possible.

Im having a engine shop build the motor for me and they are trying to find one more 302 head for me. I figured I better check to find out if those are a good match for the 360. Like I said, Ive researched so much on the 318 and 360 that I have numbers all over my head and cant keep them all in order. The engine is going to be built from the block on up but somewhat on a budget. It will need new pistons, cam, and all that so trying to figure out what the best bang for the buck is.

Since Im on it, what is the best cam to buy for a 360?

I know the XE 268 for the 318 is good for that but the 360??

Staightline,if building from scratch 360,make sure you get some pistons.Compression kills these. Budget a matter. Pop for some K.B 's(107's ,are a favorite!),What's your budget? That 2 points compression,opens all kinds of possiblilities. Airflow/ camshaft/ compression,make it all possible.

This depends,on the short block(lol). Compression figures in .any head porting? What gear? The local favorite,262 Comp hydraulic flat tappet hydraulic.

The best cam is the cam that works for you and your intended purpose.
For that, you lack every bit of information except engine size.
You have a lot of work in front of you.

Ok here is the run down of whats existing in the car. TTI headers, 727, 3:73 gears, Eddy 600cfm carb and if I go with a 360 probably the Eddy Air Gap, No intake right now.

As for porting, Im going to see how much that runs, but undecided if Im going to do it.

The 262 is also a cam I was looking, I just dont know enough about cams and what to choose. The car is still going to be streetable but would love to run it at the track on occasion.

This depends,on the short block(lol). Compression figures in .any head porting? What gear? The local favorite,262 Comp hydraulic flat tappet hydraulic.

I must be having a brain fart but what specs are you looking for? I kinda gave a run down of what parts I have, the car itself is a 71 Scamp. Engine, if possible is going to be a 360.

I must be having a brain fart but what specs are you looking for? I kinda gave a run down of what parts I have, the car itself is a 71 Scamp. Engine, if possible is going to be a 360.

I think he was typing when you posted by the looks of the post time. I would not use the 302's on the 360.

Ok here is the run down of whats existing in the car. TTI headers, 727, 3:73 gears, Eddy 600cfm carb and if I go with a 360 probably the Eddy Air Gap, No intake right now.

As for porting, Im going to see how much that runs, but undecided if Im going to do it.

The 262 is also a cam I was looking, I just dont know enough about cams and what to choose. The car is still going to be streetable but would love to run it at the track on occasion.

The Airgap would likely be too much intake for that small of cam. If you go 262 or 268 and Performer or equivalent might be better.

The Airgap would likely be too much intake for that small of cam. If you go 262 or 268 and Performer or equivalent might be better.

Thank you for that input, I would not have known that! I have a performer intake for my 318 but was told that will not fit.

See thats why I come here and ask so many dang questions! I cant remember who told me but it never sounded right, I just took there word for it. Glad I mentioned it. Looks like I saved a few dollars there.

How ever said the Performer will not fit should be shot, dragged, shot again, rapped by an ape, shot again, stoned (not weed) shot again, and then burned. If alive (he should be) set out in the summer sun to baked until dead. Kill all offspring to prevent stupidness from spreading.

Even on mild motor I think the air gap will work much better then a performer .

-
Back