Looking for a great front suspension guy ....

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have collected the parts for my front end rebuild. I will need to find someone who knows about Mopar
Torsion bar suspensions (70) Dart)
To set it up with the parts I have.

I am aware of the Skosh chart for alignment, my assumption is that is applicable for stock parts, not for use with aftermarket parts.

Here's my parts:

60R 14 215 or 225 tires (brand not selected yet)
PST 1.03 Torsion bars
Offset upper control bushings
KYB gas shocks
Factory Kelsey Hayes Discs
Factory front sway bar
Greasable Polygraraphite lower control arm bushings
OE idler arm, tied rods and ends, ball joints etc

My concern at this point is finding a very good front end tech to make all the adjustments after I install all the parts.

I'm willing to trailer the car up to a 150 mile radius from Orlando

Aftermarket parts don't really affect what alignment specs you want, the Skosh chart is still applicable.

I don't have an answer myself, just moved to GA but you could call around to shops and ask if they do custom alignments and have experience with old Mopars.

My advice would be to call around to alignment shops and ask them if they can align an old car. I would avoid the national chain stores like Goodyear, Firestone, etc. I've had the best luck with privately owned shops that have had the same guy doing alignments for 25 years. Those chain stores bring the young guys that just adjust toe and send them out the door.

Ask local car clubs or go to the car show or cruise and ask around. These people will have experience.

you gonna call a shop, they will say “sure no problem, bring it in”

Ask local car clubs or go to the car show or cruise and ask around. These people will have experience.

you gonna call a shop, they will say “sure no problem, bring it in”

Well you do have to grill them a bit, ask what they've worked on and if you can talk to the alignment tech directly.

I did have this happen recently though. Took my '72 D200 in to a shop that had been recently bought out by a corporate chain and the super experienced tech who had custom aligned my Duster last summer was gone. Replacement guy was decent but not nearly as competent and experienced and wasn't able to adjust things to where I wanted. I won't be going back there but it's not like I could if I wanted, I moved to another state lol.

I rebuilt my front suspension like 4.5 years ago… eyeballed the alignment… pulled a touch to the right for a bit… eyeballed it a little to the left and left it. Wheels look pretty straight…

Drives fairly straight now. Keep saying I should get an alignment but…. It drives fairly straight now and I’d have to make an appointment to get an alignment and then… I come back to the conclusion that it drives fairly straight now.

I also drive the piss out of it.

CE48F0C7-760C-4F82-87E1-C13600618F16.jpeg

I used to work next door to an alignment shop and that is all the guy did. His father started the business and he took it over. He hated working on mopars due to their lack of adjustment but he would do my cars. Find an old timer who is familiar with old cars, mopars especially if you can since they are somewhat odd compared to others.
You may want to use offset UCA bushings if you want to get it dialed in perfectly. If not you may have to settle with "close enough".

I used to be " that guy" 15 years ago when I worked at the alignment shop.
It aggravates me nowadays not having Access to an alignment rack that I can do my own on...
And I am having a hard time finding anyone worth a $#1t.. all the guys I'd trust are either retired or Dead the last few of my own vehicles I've had to have aligned, the shop wouldn't listen to me as to how I wanted them setup, and I hate having to take something in 2x and pay 2x to get what I asked for.... I don't think they are used to a customer who actually knows what caster camber and toe are and how they relate.. I know that when I did alignments I don't think any of my customers did, just that they got an "all green" printout. But just because it's all green doesn't mean it's right. Carmakers leave quite a wide tolerance swing on front end specs...

-
Back