Looking for overdrive trani advice for /6, please help

-
Wow, this is just what I have been looking to see and I'm glad to see someone that is doing it! What is the vehicle that this is going into and how soon is all of this going down? Good luck, I'll be watching!

Vehicle is a '69 Dart,I went with the 727 just to satisfy my Beefier is better mentality (contrary to what may actually be) !! If everything goes as expected,I should be getting the car back within the next few days,and the engine within the next couple of weeks !! I already have the tranny on order,and I was told it will be a few weeks,and that was a week or so ago !! So my goal is in about 1 more month it should be on the road !!!Yes,I've got my fingers crossed !! I was hoping to make this months local cruise,but I think it won't happen 'till May !!

Vehicle is a '69 Dart,I went with the 727 just to satisfy my Beefier is better mentality (contrary to what may actually be) !! If everything goes as expected,I should be getting the car back within the next few days,and the engine within the next couple of weeks !! I already have the tranny on order,and I was told it will be a few weeks,and that was a week or so ago !! So my goal is in about 1 more month it should be on the road !!!Yes,I've got my fingers crossed !! I was hoping to make this months local cruise,but I think it won't happen 'till May !!

Wow, I'm so happy & excited for you with all of this very cool stuff happening so fast. Enjoy!!!

Wow, I'm so happy & excited for you with all of this very cool stuff happening so fast. Enjoy!!!

I hear ya !! This will be my 3rd Dart,and the highest performance one yet !! If you decide you're going to rebuild your motor,I may have some parts that might be of interest to you !!

Yes, I have the Clifford headers, dual exhaust. (the exhaust system has an annoyingly loud, howl between 45 and 60 mph) I bought the car about six years ago and the odometer said 97000 and was disconnected. There was not much of any history given to me about the vehickle. Its burning some oil, leeks oil from the oil pan and needs a motor mount badly all of which, I have been told, can only be repaired by by pulling the engine. Nothing else has really been done to the engine except that I also have a complete supersix set-up sitting in a large box in my garage from a 1978 donar car waiting for?? I have heard mixed reviews from many people here about whether I should keep the Clifford or go for the SuperSix. I'm not anywhere near the league you mechanics are in but I'm dying to learn! I do not have that much money to work with which is why I'm going slow AND asking you guys for help so that I don't have to do this twice. Thank you Slantsixdan!!
That's a negative ghost rider. Both mounts went on my dart at the same time about 5 years ago and I didn't know it untill we (me and dad) found that the clunking noise was the alternater hitting the passenger fenderwell due to the engine sitting on the k-frame. Two jacks (one for the car, one for the engine) and some hand tools had the mounts swapped and the issue addressed in about 4 hours. The engine never left the car.

Change your mounts ASAP before you do some perminant damage to your driveline.

I hear ya !! This will be my 3rd Dart,and the highest performance one yet !! If you decide you're going to rebuild your motor,I may have some parts that might be of interest to you !![

Noted. Many thanks!

That's a negative ghost rider. Both mounts went on my dart at the same time about 5 years ago and I didn't know it untill we (me and dad) found that the clunking noise was the alternater hitting the passenger fenderwell due to the engine sitting on the k-frame. Two jacks (one for the car, one for the engine) and some hand tools had the mounts swapped and the issue addressed in about 4 hours. The engine never left the car.

Change your mounts ASAP before you do some perminant damage to your driveline.

Ok, good to know, thank you. Do you know if the engine has to be pulled to replace the seal on the oil pan?

I'm not sure about having to pull it,but it may need to be lifted to allow clearance !! But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I may offer a better answer !! My engines were always out of the cars when I changed mine !!

Yes, I have the Clifford headers, dual exhaust. (the exhaust system has an annoyingly loud, howl between 45 and 60 mph) I bought the car about six years ago and the odometer said 97000 and was disconnected. There was not much of any history given to me about the vehickle. Its burning some oil, leeks oil from the oil pan and needs a motor mount badly all of which, I have been told, can only be repaired by by pulling the engine. Nothing else has really been done to the engine except that I also have a complete supersix set-up sitting in a large box in my garage from a 1978 donar car waiting for?? I have heard mixed reviews from many people here about whether I should keep the Clifford or go for the SuperSix. I'm not anywhere near the league you mechanics are in but I'm dying to learn! I do not have that much money to work with which is why I'm going slow AND asking you guys for help so that I don't have to do this twice. Thank you Slantsixdan!!

OK, time for baby steps here, bucco. Dreaming of exotic transmissions or fuel injection solutions as a way of upping the car's fuel efficiency is fine, but you need to go back to basics.

1. Do a proper compression test followed be a leak down test. That's going to tell you how well the rings and valves are sealing. At this point you don't know if the rings are shot and you need to rebuild the motor, or if doing something as simple as replacing the valve seals will do away with the oil burning problem and let you move on to other areas that need your attention. Until the basic motor is sound, you're wasting your time on the peripherals.

2. When's the last time someone ran the valves? A 74 slant has solid lifters and just running (adjusting) the valves will make the motor run better and be more efficient. It's .010 on the intakes and .020 on the exhausts if memory serves me right. If not, someone here will correct me. Some like to do it static, but I prefer to do mine running. Done correctly, either way will get you there.

3. Go over to slantsix.org and do a search for the HEI conversion thread(s). Converting the ignition to HEI by using a GM 4 pin HEI module conversion is an inexpensive way to up your economy by making the ignition more efficient.

4. If that 4 barrel manifold is unheated, chuck it (at least over in a corner of the garage) and throw the SuperSix manifold on after carefully rebuilding the stock BBD. You may have to play around with the jetting a little to get the mileage up, but once you get it dialed, you shouldn't have to screw around with it. I do hope that when you acquired the SuperSix manifold you got the transmission kick down linkage, because if you didn't you'll need to find it. By the way, don't buy a rebuilt carburetor from the local supply house, they are usually (almost aways) JUNK! Just rebuild your own with a quality kit. If you want to keep your headers you will need to figure out a way of getting heat to the intake manifold, either by routing exhaust like the original manifold or plumbing water from the radiator to it. A simpler solution might be to get rid of the headers and go back to the stock manifold. Splitting the stock manifold to use the rear half that bolts to the intake and buying one of Doug Dutra's front ones is one way of having a fully heated intake (like stock) and keeping dual exhaust

5. Verify the rear end ratio, the Feather Duster used a 2.76 behind the automatics for a reason, and that reason was that Mother Mopar's engineers felt it was the best one to get the best fuel economy with the automatic behind a slant.

6. Jack up that motor and FIX THE OIL LEAKS! Working hard to raise your fuel mileage to save a few bucks is useless if you're blowing those same bucks buying case loads of oil. Might as well replace BOTH motor mounts when the motor is in the air to replace the oil pan gasket while you're at it. Don't want to replace them again anytime soon? There's a guy up in Oregon (www.polybushings.com) making polyurethane inserts to go into your existing brackets for 34 bucks a side.

7. If you're serious about fuel economy, don't run anything wider than the original size (narrow by today's standards) wheels and tires (195 cross section on a 5" wide rim).

8. Dual exhaust can be really annoying on a six, running a crossover pipe and adding in a second set of small mufflers will do alot to tame it down.

Just a start here and not very glamorous, but you'll probably be amazed what just doing the basics and doing them well will accomplish.

OK, time for baby steps here, bucco. Dreaming of exotic transmissions or fuel injection solutions as a way of upping the car's fuel efficiency is fine, but you need to go back to basics.

1. Do a proper compression test followed be a leak down test. That's going to tell you how well the rings and valves are sealing. At this point you don't know if the rings are shot and you need to rebuild the motor, or if doing something as simple as replacing the valve seals will do away with the oil burning problem and let you move on to other areas that need your attention. Until the basic motor is sound, you're wasting your time on the peripherals.

2. When's the last time someone ran the valves? A 74 slant has solid lifters and just running (adjusting) the valves will make the motor run better and be more efficient. It's .010 on the intakes and .020 on the exhausts if memory serves me right. If not, someone here will correct me. Some like to do it static, but I prefer to do mine running. Done correctly, either way will get you there.

3. Go over to slantsix.org and do a search for the HEI conversion thread(s). Converting the ignition to HEI by using a GM 4 pin HEI module conversion is an inexpensive way to up your economy by making the ignition more efficient.

4. If that 4 barrel manifold is unheated, chuck it (at least over in a corner of the garage) and throw the SuperSix manifold on after carefully rebuilding the stock BBD. You may have to play around with the jetting a little to get the mileage up, but once you get it dialed, you shouldn't have to screw around with it. I do hope that when you acquired the SuperSix manifold you got the transmission kick down linkage, because if you didn't you'll need to find it. By the way, don't buy a rebuilt carburetor from the local supply house, they are usually (almost aways) JUNK! Just rebuild your own with a quality kit. If you want to keep your headers you will need to figure out a way of getting heat to the intake manifold, either by routing exhaust like the original manifold or plumbing water from the radiator to it. A simpler solution might be to get rid of the headers and go back to the stock manifold. Splitting the stock manifold to use the rear half that bolts to the intake and buying one of Doug Dutra's front ones is one way of having a fully heated intake (like stock) and keeping dual exhaust

5. Verify the rear end ratio, the Feather Duster used a 2.76 behind the automatics for a reason, and that reason was that Mother Mopar's engineers felt it was the best one to get the best fuel economy with the automatic behind a slant.

6. Jack up that motor and FIX THE OIL LEAKS! Working hard to raise your fuel mileage to save a few bucks is useless if you're blowing those same bucks buying case loads of oil. Might as well replace BOTH motor mounts when the motor is in the air to replace the oil pan gasket while you're at it. Don't want to replace them again anytime soon? There's a guy up in Oregon (www.polybushings.com) making polyurethane inserts to go into your existing brackets for 34 bucks a side.

7. If you're serious about fuel economy, don't run anything wider than the original size (narrow by today's standards) wheels and tires (195 cross section on a 5" wide rim).

8. Dual exhaust can be really annoying on a six, running a crossover pipe and adding in a second set of small mufflers will do alot to tame it down.

Just a start here and not very glamorous, but you'll probably be amazed what just doing the basics and doing them well will accomplish.

Ok, this is an amazing amount of relavent info. Thank you for all of it!!! The oil leaks in my Duster are mostly drips but its still bad enough to know that something has to be done. The car does burn oil but not enough that really costs me anything, but I still keep an eye on it in order to keep it full. The Clifford set-up uses water from the cooling system for heat and I guess I don't know how efficient that is working. The exhaust system has an X pipe and so when I get finished with these engine corrections, I have to deal with that then. Thank you again!

It is proper board etiquette for me to send you a P.M. for a part from what I gather, but I don't know how to yet. The Deck-lid is in FL. (But it don't weigh much lol!) I didn't join to sell parts, but I would like to see it get used, as it's been put up for a while.

Yes, I have the Clifford headers, dual exhaust. (the exhaust system has an annoyingly loud, howl between 45 and 60 mph) I bought the car about six years ago and the odometer said 97000 and was disconnected. There was not much of any history given to me about the vehicle. Its burning a little oil, leeks a little oil from the oil pan and needs a motor mount badly all of which, I have been told, can only be repaired by by pulling the engine. Nothing else has really been done to the engine except that I also have a complete supersix set-up sitting in a large box in my garage from a 1978 donar car waiting for?? I have heard mixed reviews from many people here about whether I should keep the Clifford or go for the SuperSix. I'm not anywhere near the league you mechanics are in but I'm dying to learn! I do not have that much money to work with which is why I'm going slow AND asking you guys for help so that I don't have to do this twice. Thank you Slantsixdan!!

Ok, so this is not a science project as you first stated, but a refugee from the used car lot. Leaking oil with broken mounts...

Tune it up & fix the leaks. Put a pair of mounts in it. Drive it.

Disregard my other post. Any work like that is a waste of time in your case.

B.

Ok, so this is not a science project as you first stated, but a refugee from the used car lot. Leaking oil with broken mounts...

B.

I will disregard your posts. Glad to accommodate.

B.

Hey, lighten up a little. He's young, inexperienced, wants to learn how to fix his car himself, and is asking for our help. A least he wants to fix an old A body and learn WHAT he is doing and WHY he is doing it.
He could be another one of those young mushheads that thinks putting a fart pipe on his ricer after he ties the suspension down so tight there isn't any, just to run wheels and tires that don't fit and shouldn't be used, "improving" his "ride".
I for one, appreciate that he is interested in the cars the rest of us here all love and want to preserve, and want to help him learn how.

TGKELLY2

Damn,I guess I better try to trade off my two Fart Cans I bought for my Dart !! I thought they would look and sound kool !!!:-k

Hey, lighten up a little. He's young, inexperienced, wants to learn how to fix his car himself, and is asking for our help. A least he wants to fix an old A body and learn WHAT he is doing and WHY he is doing it.
He could be another one of those young mushheads that thinks putting a fart pipe on his ricer after he ties the suspension down so tight there isn't any, just to run wheels and tires that don't fit and shouldn't be used, "improving" his "ride".
I for one, appreciate that he is interested in the cars the rest of us here all love and want to preserve, and want to help him learn how.

Hey thanks twofosho! All of the help that you have given to me more than makes up for....whatever the other insult post was about. AND, no fart cans on my car ever!!! That was funny!

Ok, good to know, thank you. Do you know if the engine has to be pulled to replace the seal on the oil pan?
Sorry I didn't get back on this sooner and apparently nobody jumped on this question, I forgot all about this thread. I do not know if the motor has to be replaced for that. I'm thinking if you're talking about the gasket that seals the pan to the skirt of the block than you might be able to jack the engine up and drop the pan, put ceran wrap over the top of the pan so no junk falls in it when you scrape the skirt of the block clean to put the new gasket on. BUT I do not know what kind of clearance is between the pan bottom and the K frame that the engine sits on. You can just get under there and figure out that issue yourself, if you think you can at least drop the pan 4-6" from the bottom of the block with or without the engine being lifted up, GO FOR IT!:thumleft:

I farted. I just had to include somethin irrelevant.

I'll see if'n I can't get off my dead *** onto my dieing feet and get you some pics of the SMR/Gear Venders setup that I bought for the Dart tomorrow !!:burnout:

i get better than that with my 600 and 3.91's... cruzing around at 3 grand

Same here with 3.23 gears 14'' 215 70 R tires, 65 mph at 2.700 rpm all day long... my 390 cfm holley gets an easy 20mpg and on the back roads... HWY 23.. But hay,, It's just a 170/6 :glasses7: And I am tuned correctly Thanks to my fabo / tec's my Offey 4 barrel and split exhaust and only 2,700lbs :smile:I run a solid 32lbs of air all around and getting fresh air to the carb has got to be good for 1 MPG when it's 200 degree's under the hood :thumleft:

Axle bearings and drive line needs to be smoooooth :smile:

-
Back