looking for reasonable front brake upgrade.

-

arnie_human

Reaction score
Hello guys

Now that Im finally getting the 440 into my 74 Dart, Im also looking into upgrading the front brakes.

Are there any cheap swap option instead of getting a complete willwood setup right away ??

Are 4 piston Kelsey Hayes calipers interchangeble ?? Can I use these on my excisting brake rotors and knuckels ?

Hope to get some pointers and maybe some tips and tricks on the how to.

gr Arnoud

I'm a big fan of the conversion. I have it on my 71 Swinger and it stops great. You can keep a SBP with scardbird of you want as well.

Hello guys

Now that Im finally getting the 440 into my 74 Dart, Im also looking into upgrading the front brakes.

Are there any cheap swap option instead of getting a complete willwood setup right away ??

Are 4 piston Kelsey Hayes calipers interchangeble ?? Can I use these on my excisting brake rotors and knuckels ?

Hope to get some pointers and maybe some tips and tricks on the how to.

gr Arnoud

Do you have front disks now? I did a 440 in a 74 dart also, my front work great and I added rear disks to the 8 1/4 and it stops great.

KH if you're wanting SBP or 73 and later BBP single disk. Both are fairly inexpensive, in the US. I don't know how difficult they will be to find where you are at though.

Are you currently SPB or BBP?

11.75 rotor, large bolt drum spindles and 4 piston viper calipers. Not the cheapest but works very well. Funny how everyone wants expensive motors and cheap brakes - I don't get it....

I dont want the cheapest brakes. I know brakes are maybe even more important then the engine. But I am looking for a nice upgrade which hopefully wil bolt on to the standard knuckles.

That Viper setup what will I need for it? And will it bolt straight on?

Gr Arnoud

Back about 1970, either Car Craft or Hot Rod Magazine did an interview with Dick Landy. He was going into detail about how to do the brakes correctly. They asked him, "Are brakes really that important? You only have to stop once."

His classic answer, "Yea, but you only get once chance to stop."

11.75 rotor, large bolt drum spindles and 4 piston viper calipers. Not the cheapest but works very well. Funny how everyone wants expensive motors and cheap brakes - I don't get it....
I use single piston 74 calipers on my 11 3/4 with EBC red pads and 11 x 2 1/2 drums with good shoes on the back. That car stops on a dime, no fade. I live at the top of a long hill and have never driven a car with brakes that good. The larger rotors really help and good pads or use Viper rotors. I rebuilt the front end, Firm Feel steering box and reinforced Kframe and brake upgrade before the new motor went in. It's not cheap.

-
Back