Looking for some input on hood scoops

-

fishman

Reaction score
Just installed these repop hood scoops on the 69. And have been tossing the idea around in my head (bad place to visit alone) about maybe making these functional. I was thinking about drilling and grinding the fake grill out in these scoops. Then drill a hole in the hood and possibly fab. a duct to the air cleaner. Anyone seen this done or have anything to suggest. This was a 318 car that i'm trying to make kinda old school. It is now a 408 w/727 and 8.75 suregrip. I do plan on doing some drag racing nothing big.

grill and stering 016 (Small).jpg

grill and stering 018 (Small).jpg

grill and stering 017 (Small).jpg

grill and stering 019 (Small).jpg

Seem to remember reading somewhere once that you need 30 square inches of total scoop opening to be really benificial. Doesn't look like you have that much in those scoops.

Seem to remember reading somewhere once that you need 30 square inches of total scoop opening to be really benificial. Doesn't look like you have that much in those scoops.

Never heard that but I was just thinking a little more then what it is getting now wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the info.

It might not provide much air to the carb but, it may lower the temperature under the hood a little bit. It might also be worth doing for looks alone. Its not like you are worried about being 100% correct original. The hood on the 69's are very plain and at least its the right type of scoop for a 69.

I agree, you might get more benefit from lower underhood temp than ram air to the carb with those scoops. You could cut a 4 1/8" hole under the scoop and use the seal from a 70 340 dart and it would have a factory look.

Her is something else you might consider. Get a hood from a 73 up Dart. They fit and look the same from the outside. Do your scoop modifications to that hood and save the original. When you paint the car you can do both and have a choice.

30 square inches is correct. I have an old Direct Connection manual that says that. I found that the Mopar dual snorkel scoop I have on my car measures right at 30 inches.

They just look REALLY SMALL!!!! Please dont take offence to this but I personally think they look REALLY out of place on your car. They look like they are a joke or something. Just my opinion.

I agree that they are too tiny for cold air intake. However, if they were reversed, they could exhaust hot air from the engine compartment, possibly increasing flow through the radiator.

You could even mount them backward on the sail panel (somewhat like old Shelbys) for flow-through ventilation for the interior (fart extractor).

It might not provide much air to the carb but, it may lower the temperature under the hood a little bit. It might also be worth doing for looks alone. Its not like you are worried about being 100% correct original. The hood on the 69's are very plain and at least its the right type of scoop for a 69.

This is the first car i've ever altered for stock, i just want to have some fun with this one. I love the way mopar did all their cars. That is why I want to stick with the factory 69 scoops, just wanted to put a little twist on what the factory did on the first Cuda package. I plan to paint the hood the way it was in 69. I have done a lot of alterations to this car and dont plan on any kind of clone. I only changed this car this way because it was just a 318 car. But I'm not the kind to put a after market or duster hood on my Cuda. I have attached a pic of one that is the same color (not mine) and plan to use some of the same stripes as this car has. I agree with the comments about them looking small, last night when I put them on they looked funny. But as Longgone stated the stripes help them blend in better. Talked to a freind of mine today that races and asked him about cutting the scopes open. His reply was that it sure wont hurt so I may do it anyway

cuda10 (Small).jpg

Lose those small scoops. They don't look right.

Painted the same color as the stripes they look 100% better. I was too quick to judge. It's cool that they're something different from what you usually see out there.

DEFINATELY cut out the openings.... even if you dont really benefit much from it it will still look better with them being open.

-
Back