Looking for some measurements on 273 commando valve covers.

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
I have a 66 Dart convertible that I'm slowly trying to finish. but have run into a little problem with the wife's car that I'm trying to get giong before I do more on mine.
She saw the 273 commando valve covers and liked them. (the finned part)
now I've got a DIY CNC that might just mill aluminum slowly(really slow, but it works to make the prototypes parts to work on my car) and decided that since I have a couple of chunks of rectangular bar stock that I could possible mill down to simulate the finned look. Does anyone have measurements of the finned part so I can see if it's even possible to make them for her 66 dart with stock 273 valve covers. Or just break down and get her some when I start her engine rebuild. yeah I know it's probably be cheaper to just buy them,but I would like to try.
need length,width (6 fins right?). and approx height of fins and spark plug wire holders. I don't need it to the thousandth (more like 3 x/x something or another by x x/x) since I'm going to move the spark plug wire holders into different wider spread location for a smoother look.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year.

Lots of measurements. Hope they help. If u end up with a good model on ur cnc, I would love a second set. Tryin to post pics, phone app won't let me, second reply ciming soon.

Posted via Topify on Android

Ask leanna, aka cudachick. She usually has a few on hand. The tops are rounded and polished. The rest/sides look anodized.

Pics of measurements

Attachments

• 2013-12-24 09.54.52.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 2013-12-24 09.55.29.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 2013-12-24 09.59.02.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 2013-12-24 09.59.58.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 2013-12-24 10.00.32.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 2013-12-24 10.01.22.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 133
The rest

Attachments

• 2013-12-24 10.03.43.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 2013-12-24 10.03.18.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 2013-12-24 10.02.51.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 2013-12-24 10.02.24.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 2013-12-24 10.01.59.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 2013-12-24 10.04.19.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 141
I have a 66 Dart convertible that I'm slowly trying to finish. but have run into a little problem with the wife's car that I'm trying to get giong before I do more on mine.
She saw the 273 commando valve covers and liked them. (the finned part)
now I've got a DIY CNC that might just mill aluminum slowly(really slow, but it works to make the prototypes parts to work on my car) and decided that since I have a couple of chunks of rectangular bar stock that I could possible mill down to simulate the finned look. Does anyone have measurements of the finned part so I can see if it's even possible to make them for her 66 dart with stock 273 valve covers. Or just break down and get her some when I start her engine rebuild. yeah I know it's probably be cheaper to just buy them,but I would like to try.
need length,width (6 fins right?). and approx height of fins and spark plug wire holders. I don't need it to the thousandth (more like 3 x/x something or another by x x/x) since I'm going to move the spark plug wire holders into different wider spread location for a smoother look.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year.

They sell extruded heat sink material. I'd look at that first, you might be able to get pretty close. Good Luck!

goog search for "extruded aluminum heat sink stock" got lots of interesting hits. Milling (even slowly) might be just the challenge that the OP wants, but for us with no milling interest some of those vendors might be worth checking on.

BC

Thanks all for the measurements AND the extruded heatsink idea is AWESOME if I can find a close match . that might be a good way to go just so I don't have to wait forever for my light weight CNC to mill down the fin"s in about 6 hours per run per fin (X6SUCKS). I have to use this CNC machine right now since funds are not available for me to upgrade my rig to better stuff yet.
The measurements are going onto the valve covers in grease pencil right now to see if they will fit stock valve covers and how they might be massaged to look like I want them to. I don't want a clone of the commando ones Just something the wife can live with and I don't have to say it's a commando clone just a custom wire harness loom holder since I want the spark plug wires separated more for a cleaner look of the wires and valve cover. I'm gonna CNC the plastic pieces to hold the wires so the shape of the holder can be modified to just a taller Slot the plastic fit's over instead of cutting wire guide holes and then making the plastic piece fit over that.

ok about 1.75 or so inches wide =.75 or .8 tall on the wire loom piece, .3 on the short fins and about a .25 or so fin gap. gotta go look at the single length hmmmmmm , a hair over 6.5 . that just might be doable or close with an extrusion hmm. if I get taller and cut down the non wire holding ones and make a tab in the tall one to hold wires. yeah might work and save me a ton of time and CNC stress.

THANKS ALL! I'm looking an extrusion that's close to this.

-
Back