looking for some recommendations for a stroker

-

95teetee

Reaction score
ok, we're building a 416- going to be a Lunati roller cam, my brother couldn't remember the exact specs except that it's got a .535 lift- I can get the info later though. Either 9.1 or 9.5 to 1. W2 heads, headers...
I can get more info later, but we're looking for quick recommendations for intake and carb- what do you guys think is the best place to start our considerations?

its got to fit w2 heads i have a edelbrock victor 340 airgap for 200.00 + shipping you have to see if it fits w2 heads check summit or some 1 here

Intake manifold and carb selection depends on the rest of the build which includes the cam. Giving just the lift tells us nothing. Duration dictates the rpm window in which the engine will operate. If the cam is small you'll want a dual plane intake and probably a 750 carb. If it's a much larger cam you'll most likely want a single plane intake and 800-850 carb.

A Victor intake is not a air gap intake. The Victor has a gap under the runners. The intake was made before the RPM Air Gap term was coined. It's like calling a M1 single plane an air gap.

The Victor was also made for W2 heads.

Otherwise, what Fishy68 said. What is the target of the build, it's intended purpose?
Other info missing would be gear ratio, tire size, trans to be used, etc.....

Hopefully you can find W2 hedders also...My friend races with a W2 headed 416 with a AED Holley 950,just shy of high 10,s.Good luck.:D

I know I need some more info for sure -my brother had the exact cam specs, but couldn't remember them offhand.
(and I realized after I went to bed that I was woefully lacking in details about the usage lol)
It's going to still be a cruiser (bruiser?) with the 4.10s and the 727 that are in it now (I have the high-stall converter that used to be mated to the 340 I had, I think it's a 3500). So still just a street car (maybe the odd eighth mile pass).
Yes, the headers we have are for the W2 heads.

We were thinking single-plane intake and 850-ish carb- I know I see a lot of people using Demon carbs, but I've always been a Holley man myself...not really sure what good alternatives there even are nowadays.

4.11's behind a stroker aren't real street friendly unless your running 30" tall tires. Strokers don't need low gears so you may want to reconsider them. And I'd bet that converter will stall over 4000 grand behind a stroker. Remember, the more torque input to the converter the higher it stalls

The single plane and 850 sound good for a hot stroker with W2 heads as long as the cam is big enough.

As for the brand of carb I have always liked Holleys but lately have used some Quick fuel products with great success. Their an offshoot of a Holley like many others but they have some improvements in certain areas. Never ran a demon so I can't say anything about them but if I've heard Demon's are wet flowed so an 850 demon is more akin to a 900+ cfm Holley.

As for the brand of carb I have always liked Holleys but lately have used some Quick fuel products with great success. Their an offshoot of a Holley like many others but they have some improvements in certain areas.
thanks fishy- can you tell me whether the Quick carbs use Holley parts (specifically jets).

For street use , I think the 850 is a nice choice. QFT ( Quick Fuel )builds carbs based on 4150 and 4500 Holleys , and make a pretty nice piece in my opinion.
Strokers like duration.......with .535 lift , I am guessing that is with 1.5 rockers , if you haven't plunked down for rocker arms yet , I'd consider 1.6 , and hopefully the stick has 250ish degrees duration. That will behave like something in the 235 degree range in a smaller motor. Plenty driveable and still will have a nice sounding idle.
I have to agree......4.10 is a lot of gear too. That will be the least enjoyable part of the build in a street situation.......you'll be singing it pretty good at 55 m.p.h.
Should be a solid street performer though.

good to know that the Quick carb parts interchange...

I daily drove this car with the 4.10s for about 10 years (before parking it for about 10 years) with a 340. It was a well built 340 (about 400 horse) but still a 340.
85 mph was about 4500 rpm, so cruising at that speed wasn't too bad...

I did hear more specs about the cam today (darned if I can remember now, though) but that 250-ish seems to be about right.
I don't think the rockers have been ordered yet, maybe I'll mention the 1.6's to my brother (he's buying all the parts and building the engine to put in my car- yep, it's rough lol) and see what he thinks. Thanks tubtar

-
Back