Looks like my float finally sunk...

-

cooljjay

Proud Owner Of Christy
Reaction score
Looks like my fuel float finally gave up, I have been having that problem since I bought it, get a full tank and its only half full, now I am always on empty. So question is do you have to drop the tank to put a new sending unit in or can you get to it from behind the rear end? my grandmothers 81 chrysler the whole tank had to be dropped.

No need to drop the tank. You can get to it from underneth. Jacking the car up is all you will need to do.

Do you suspect a problem with the sending unit, other than the sinking float? If not, here are some useful part numbers I clipped off a thread at slantsix.org:

Float: Ford P/N COAZ-9202-B
Strainer "sock": GM P/N 5651 705
Gasket: Chrysler P/N 6031 475
Sender grounding clip: Chrysler P/N 2258 862

My son recently bought one of the brass floats from our local Ford dealer for about $10. While you are in there, go ahead and replace the strainer.

Jerry

New sender normally comes with a new seal.
If you plan on servicing the sender go ahead and buy a new seal before you start.

Jack the *** end up as high as your floor jack will go, and put some jack stands under the frame, letting the rear end drop back down. Pull the right rear tire off and it makes things so much easier.

-
Back