Looks like riding season is over.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Getting chilly, supposed to have a few days of rain. Bigger problem is they are here.....they being the 4 legged wrecking machines.....Bambi & her friends. Coming home from town yesterday seen a herd of 40 or so on the side of the road a few miles from our place. Seen 5 bucks just down the road from us as well......Fall is definitely on the way, went outside to "water the rocks" last night and heard them packing up down by the lake....Glad summer is finally over...

summer is finally over...

don't remind me ...im not happy about the time coming that I have to put my "hogs" away for winter and have to wait a few months to smell fresh cut grass in the sun again. :wack:

Attachments

• CIMG3116.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 267
Getting chilly, supposed to have a few days of rain. Bigger problem is they are here.....they being the 4 legged wrecking machines.....Bambi & her friends. Coming home from town yesterday seen a herd of 40 or so on the side of the road a few miles from our place. Seen 5 bucks just down the road from us as well......Fall is definitely on the way, went outside to "water the rocks" last night and heard them packing up down by the lake....Glad summer is finally over...

One of the perks of living in the South is that we can ride all year.

When I lived in Jersey I could get in a solid 5 months a year, sometimes even 6 months. Down here well unless its raining you con ride all year.

Some I'd the cold wimps down here put their bikes up for the winter, but for someone born and raised in the North, winters down here are pretty mild.

In nearly 30 years of living here, the coldest I can remember it getting was 19 degrees F, overnight, and by lunch te the next day it was in the low 60's. lol

I live in Ohio and ride all year long if the
roads are not covered in snow.

Don't think I'll be putting the bike away for a few more weeks. It's my only transportation until I can find a winter beater!

Attachments

• image Me on FAZER.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 225
One of the perks of living in the South is that we can ride all year.

When I lived in Jersey I could get in a solid 5 months a year, sometimes even 6 months. Down here well unless its raining you con ride all year.

Some I'd the cold wimps down here put their bikes up for the winter, but for someone born and raised in the North, winters down here are pretty mild.

In nearly 30 years of living here, the coldest I can remember it getting was 19 degrees F, overnight, and by lunch te the next day it was in the low 60's. lol

:poke: When I lived in NJ I was forced to ride year round once. Blew the motor up in my car. I had a 1978 or so Suzuki GS450. It was an absolute beater. Had gotten dropped/knocked over/fallen at least 18 times when I owned it. I fell, in the snow, at the same corner 1 mile from my folks home 3 days in a row.
When I lived in AZ I rode year round. First 6 years I was there rode every day unless the bike was down for maintenance. Got to the point where it just was not fun anymore, got burned out on it. :hello2:

I live in Ohio and ride all year long if the
roads are not covered in snow.

Do you normally get alot of snow? Problem with me is the dirt road. Last winter there was a lot of days that if the bike were running I would have rode it....except for the fact that our road gets a bit soupy for riding a street bike....Not to mention during the winter we have a tone of critters floating around. Not just deer but turkeys as well. Turkeys seem to congregate on the road. At times I think they are trying to play Russian Roulette with traffic.

True riding season for me is really just starting here, if you consider that for the past 2 1/2 months it's been raining with the possibility of hail nearly every day!

If you don't mind that (or your work schedule doesn't put you on the road at 3:00-4:30pm), then yes, you can ride dang near all year here.

The reason I don't currently have a bike is that IMO there are really only two, short 6 week seasons when it's not either raining every day or below 45 ish degrees in the morning.

True riding season for me is really just starting here, if you consider that for the past 2 1/2 months it's been raining with the possibility of hail nearly every day!

If you don't mind that (or your work schedule doesn't put you on the road at 3:00-4:30pm), then yes, you can ride dang near all year here.

The reason I don't currently have a bike is that IMO there are really only two, short 6 week seasons when it's not either raining every day or below 45 ish degrees in the morning.

Have got caught in more than one hail storm....Had welts from the one I got stuck in while riding thru the Four Corners area :wack:

Commuting in AZ was a drag on the bike for at least half the year. Had to be to work at noon so baking on the way in was pretty normal. Ride home at mid-night was tolerable..alot of nights the temperature was still over 100* but without the fireball beating down on you it was at least tolerable. I lived in East Mesa, land of the snow bird. So just as the weather would get a bit cooler our population doubled +. The snowbirds would at least provide entertainment at times. Seen more than one collision when two of them would be going for the same parking spot.....with neither one of them seeing the other....

I'll ride as long as I can here.I rode last year one morning no face shield,I got a brain freeze so bad I dry heaved the whole way to work.Funny thing is the more I heaved the warmer my face got.Not going to happen this year I broked down and bought a full faced helmet .Yes and all those four legged creatures are on the move here also always trie to be alert.

Up here I ride all year long, I didn't take the snow tire off ran it all summer.

Kenny

I will usually ride until the day they lay the White Death (salt) down...then it's over until the first major rainstorm of spring. Them's my rules and I don't break 'em...

We can ride all year round here.....doesn't snow here.....but it can be too hot to ride though in summer.

Attachments

• IMGP6503.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 187
Was a good day for a ride today, saw a few bikes out, but they will be getting put away here soon too. I still have my bike but havent ridden in a couple years again... seems so much else is going on I never get to it anymore. I remember when my brother rode his bike into november... high school... he was soooooo cold said it took all day for him to warm up at school then he had to ride home. LOL, I never rode mine past september.

I ride till the snow flies and then put her to bed till the rain clears the salt in the spring Now back in my early days i'd ride all year round if they plowed..some days I would have to wait till the plow went by and follow him to my street,,being 53 now and some days feeling like 83 having broke both legs and hip's numerous times i'll stick to snowmobiles in the snow and Harleys when the roads are clear..my wife says my nads aint shrunk my brain just grew..imagine that

Do you normally get alot of snow? Problem with me is the dirt road. Last winter there was a lot of days that if the bike were running I would have rode it....except for the fact that our road gets a bit soupy for riding a street bike....Not to mention during the winter we have a tone of critters floating around. Not just deer but turkeys as well. Turkeys seem to congregate on the road. At times I think they are trying to play Russian Roulette with traffic.

Ohio weather is unpredictable.
It can be -10 one day and 40's the next.
They do a very good job of road maintainace in this county,
so the snow is off the roads after a short time.
The only thing you have to watch out for is grit and sand around
the corners and stops.
I live in the boondocks but all the roads are paved, in town
the main streets are clean in a couple days after a heavy fall.
I always ride New Years day no matter what the conditions if
I can get out of the driveway.:cheers:

This is a pic of our club Christmas party.

Attachments

• baby 073.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 191
I hope I'm not high jacking you ink junkie but maybe we should turn this into a bike pics thread for Mopar guys that ride!

I am lucky enough to get to ride all year round!

Here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• Encore 1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 133
When I had my cruiser bike, I would ride whenever the sun was shining and the temps were in the 50's. But now I'm older and ride a finicky vintage two stroke bike, so the riding season is much shorter. I usually put it into storage around Thanksgiving and get it out once the temps are back up into the 50's on a regular basis.

After reading this thread, I think I'll go for a ride tonight!

I hope I'm not high jacking you ink junkie but maybe we should turn this into a bike pics thread for Mopar guys that ride!

I am lucky enough to get to ride all year round!

Here is a pic of mine.

Post away.....I rode every day for the first six years or so of living in AZ. Got burnt out....and that is the understatement......

View attachment seat02.jpg

Have some other pictures of it....will look for them.....

I am loving that chopper Inkjunkie! Like I said, I ride all year round but not every day. My place of work has nowhere to park in the shade and I would hate for my bike to bake in the sun every day. I live pretty close to work though so I will ride the bike in the winter if I get cabin fever. As long as the sun is shining.

I am loving that chopper Inkjunkie! Like I said, I ride all year round but not every day. My place of work has nowhere to park in the shade and I would hate for my bike to bake in the sun every day. I live pretty close to work though so I will ride the bike in the winter if I get cabin fever. As long as the sun is shining.

Thanks...When I rode every day I was forced to park my bike out in the sun. Went from what Honda called Fighting Red to sort of a light tomato orange kind of color. I ended up selling it because it needed new diaphragms on all 4 carbanators.....they were a bit over $200 a piece as well as the boots between the carbanators and the motor were dryed out....they were going to be $160 for the set. Have always wondered if the boots went bad from sitting out in the baking sun like that. Granted they were buried under some plastic but the plastic also retained a lot of heat.

Supposed to have some sunny days here coming up soon.....perhaps I will go out for one last ride....Still need to get my wife on the back of the thing.....

Too hot?! Your just just not moving fast enough! Lol

LOL.....when it's 105-110*F, and around 70%, nothing is cool.....end up with bitumen sticking to the bike, radiator, tyres, etc.....I have measured the temp of the road on a hot day, it cracks 190.....enough to blister the bottom of your feet, if you haven't got footware on.
I live on the Tropic of Capricorn.....we are the Equator in summer time.

-
Back