Loop or Essex? Need new carpet! Opinions welcome.

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I just changed up my column shift 3spd auto car to a non-console 4spd manual. Along with this obviously comes the need for new carpeting.

It looks like there are two general choices in reproduction carpets: loop or "Essex." Loop is sold as the basic factory type stuff. Essex looks like the short-fuzzy that just came out of my '73 low option car but it seems to be a bit more expensive.

It also comes "backed" (with sound deadener?) or not... I'm not sure how much I care about that.

Which would you choose? What were your criteria?

Do you think the Essex is worth the extra cash?
How much weight does the sound deadening backing add?

Do these carpets usually come with grommets or whatever else we need to install?

Thanks for any insight.

I bought a loop carpet kit for my 65 and found an NOS rubber deadener for it too. The deadener weighed 40 lbs in its rolled shipping container and laid in nicely, it was almost an asphalt on a backer. layed out smooth and conformed to floor, It helped immensly with road noise and floorboard vibration noises.

Sounds like the quality of the loop is nice enough. That will certainly work for me.
I'm still curious as to what makes Essex more expensive.

The deadener weighs 40lbs? Damn. I appreciate that insight...I'm going to try to get by without it, maybe add that later if I absolutely have to.

Gives you some info on the difference in essex and cut pile.

I personally wouldn't go with anything other than loop. It's a thousand times easier to vacuum and clean. I think essex is easier to clean than cut pile but if you wind up with the type that is difficult to clean, your floor will wind up looking like it's carpeted with a 70s bush after a while.

-
Back