Loose wheel nuts, REALLY, Earnhardt?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Had the NASCAR on "in the background." The useless drizzeling commentators said something about Earnhardht having a loose wheel. It occurs that as long and "his crew" has been allegedly "in racing" that these kindergarten mistakes should not happen, eh?

Not really. They are trying to do the pit stops as fast as possible. If that means venturing into the grey area where you only get 3 or 4 nuts tight, and the wheels don't come loose, that's what they are going to try.

I never got why nascar doesnt use the singe nut axles like the bog boys do

NASCAR are the "big boys". They stay with 5 lug nuts because that's what is in your production car. Also it makes the pit stops more challenging.

What about the loose nut behind the steering wheel???

Would anyone like to see production car racing again? Add some safety features and turn the ponies loose? I think it would be interesting.

i say they let Honda , Lexus and Hyundai out there along with Toyota and let them bash it out on the high banks with no safety features or additions of any kind. now that would be fun

Would anyone like to see production car racing again? Add some safety features and turn the ponies loose? I think it would be interesting.

They do that down under. http://www.v8supercars.com.au/ However, these are all road races, no ovals. For $40 you can watch all the races this season on live streaming: https://www.v8supercars.com.au/v8superview

Bright-Clipsal-03-HMS1.jpg

Smart move on the part of Nascar to let the teams shoot themselves in the foot on this one. And how much time do they really save by not hitting all five lugs? Especially if they have to come back in to fix it. They're usually waiting on the gas man anyway.

They would need the GPS to navigate all of those left turns... :D

Too much distraction... :???:

NASCAR are the "big boys". They stay with 5 lug nuts because that's what is in your production car. Also it makes the pit stops more challenging.

we're not really trying to keep up that look are we?
there is no point arguing that is where nascar started but they left that ages ago

the aussie cars you posted might be no further removed from stock but at least I can tell the make and model by the shape of the car, and they use single lug axles
come to think of it, so does the german DTM league
now there are some "stock" cars for you

we're not really trying to keep up that look are we?
there is no point arguing that is where nascar started but they left that ages ago

thats what i was thinking too..

I remember back in the sixties I got my Roadrunner home from the Chrysler/Plymouth dealer and only two lug nuts were installed on one wheel. The other lug nuts weren't on the wheel at all.

I don't think too many productuion cars come with knock-off hubs, or one-nut hubs, or whatever you want to call them. Almost everything coming out of the automobile factories has 4 or 5 lug nuts holding the wheels on. So by your twisted definition, what's more "stock", DTM, NASCAR, V8 Supercars, or ???? Everyone knows that no professional series race cars are just like what you can buy off the showroom floor. So what's the big deal? If you don't like NASCAR for some reason, why not just ignore it, instead of telling everyone whats wrong with it? There are lots of sports I can't stand, but I'm not going to start a thread bashing them. What's the point?

I remember back in the sixties I got my Roadrunner home from the Chrysler/Plymouth dealer and only two lug nuts were installed on one wheel. The other lug nuts weren't on the wheel at all.

not as bad as that but i had a 68 coronet that had a wheel stud that was never threaded.

-
Back