Lost all oil and oil pressure while driving (Need help diagnosing)

-
i'll agree to that. some of us do come off a little roughshod, especially when we're trying to help and getting less than decent information in return. nobody here has a crystal ball.

on the flip side of that, i've noticed an uptick lately of people asking advice and then getting chirpy when they don't get the info back that they wanted spoon fed to them, or they just don't like the answer.

i'm sorry, sometimes the answer is that you have to take it apart a little and look at it, maybe open a FSM and see what the parts are, snap some pics and ask follow up questions.

not all of us was born dick first with a double stack tool box attached to our umbilical cord, ratchet in hand. we all had to learn too. the good part is we've made a lot of mistakes along the way and we'll help you avoid those potholes.
I just had to call my mom and ask if I was born dick first. She laughed and said no.
:rofl:

I had the top of the oil pressure sending unit blow offf a few years ago same exact issue.

OK perfect. So it has no 90 degree adapter. I would remove the filter and inspect to see if it has two gaskets on the filter. If it does, there's your problem. Make sure one of them is not crushed beyond use and press it back into the filter and throw the other one away. Screw the filter on tight and fill it with oil. You should be good. OR you could put a new filter on. Either way, make sure there's only ONE gasket, if there are two there when you remove the filter.
I agree with the possibility of two gaskets. But I would just go ahead and install a new filter, since it will be off, anyway, and could have a defect.
PS: I don't like Fram filters (looks like that is in the photo) Not the best, and I have found some with holes almost rusted through on the can.

Throw away the Fram filter. I've seen more fram filters spring leaks than every other filter brand combined. Also their filter media is garbage.When i worked at the parts store we cut open every filter brand we carried. Fram was the worst. Even rusty inside. The cheapie no name bulk filters I sold to commercial accounts for a bout a buck and a half a piece were better made with better filter media.
I remember a guy blew up a pretty new Harley because the fram filter media disintegrated and plugged up oil passages.

A long time ago I was getting on a highway in my 340 4 speed road runner and getting up to speed which didn't take much, I see smoke all over the place so I pull over and check under my car and oil is leaking badly. Car was running fine......Had the car towed and the shop where it ended up called me to let me know my filter was ripped. Apparently that inspection cover that bolts on and covers the flywheel is important for something......Who knew?....

Is that 55-60 lbs of oil pressure hot and at idle? If so, that is pretty high, if so it seems like the pressure relief valve in the pump is stuck. Not a horrible issue, but it will find weak spots in a questionable filter or sender. You are not going to “hurt” it with high oil pressure at idle, but you kinda don’t want the “stuck” relief valve to change to sticking open. Dumping a good bit of pressure. I run Mobil 1 or K&N filter without issues. Don’t take any questions as criticism. This hobby is a bit of a gruff group, but no real malice. If someone tells you that you are a moron. You’ll know it, happens to me all the time! :)

Carquest 85085 Premium Oil Filter, with Red Silicone anti-drainback.

Screenshot_20230906-100022_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20230906-100042_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Throw away the Fram filter. I've seen more fram filters spring leaks than every other filter brand combined. Also their filter media is garbage.When i worked at the parts store we cut open every filter brand we carried. Fram was the worst. Even rusty inside. The cheapie no name bulk filters I sold to commercial accounts for a bout a buck and a half a piece were better made with better filter media.
I remember a guy blew up a pretty new Harley because the fram filter media disintegrated and plugged up oil passages.
First issue I saw.

what about the gaskets that a go with either the 90 degree adapter or the plate under the filter if it doesn't have a 90 degree adapter...?

He may have just gone to bed and then had to work today. Maybe he'll be back later?
This ^ Just got home.

It ended up being a faulty oil filter seal I suppose.

Once the new filter was installed I had no problems, the non fram oil filter also brought my idle oil pressure from 55-60 to 30-35.

Thank you all for the help!

This ^ Just got home.

Once the new filter was installed I had no problems, the non fram oil filter also brought my idle oil pressure from 55-60 to 30-35.

ah... sounds like the filter was too tight of mesh or just **** (fram) and the pressure blew out the seal... glad it was nothing serious :)

This ^ Just got home.

Likely the filter media was crap inside. They are so bad I always felt guilty selling them even when people demanded them.

We had a couple Fram Racing filters blow the can apart but that was back in the late 70's. They were better back then.

1972 Plymouth Duster
340ci

So I was driving down the road, and then all of a sudden I lose all oil pressure, and all the oil in the car sprays all down the road.

I pull into a parking lot, stop the car and get on the ground to look under.

The oil is leaking all down my headers right below the oil filter.

I assume it's the oil filter so I jack up the car, put it on stands.

I removed the oil filter, the seal falls out onto the ground. I clean everything off and reinstall the filter (hoping it just vibrated loose).

I fill the car back up with oil, and then crank it. Oil immediately starts coming out again.

I am going to buy and put on a new filter tomorrow and hopefully that fixes it. What I wanted help with from y'all is why this happened?

My first thought is the oil pump relief valve isn't working properly, the cars oil pressure is at around 55-60 psi.

I attached a picture, which I think is the relief valve but I'm not sure. But the thing in the picture was also covered in oil (Maybe from all the oil spraying? I'm not sure)

Let me know If I can supply any additional pictures or information to help trouble shoot. I am a new classic car owner and not the most knowledgeable at this time.

I appreciate any information and help! Thanks!

*Edit:

I just remembered, yesterday I was out for a nice drive, it was quite hot outside and after I parked up the engine temp went up to about 180-185 C . And my oil started leaking everywhere only about 300 yards from my house.

This is my list of potential problems, let me know if you think I'm missing something:

1. Faulty oil filter seal
2. Oil filter bypass is stuck closed
3. Oil pressure relief valve is stuck closed

View attachment 1716138028
Could the seal from a previous oil filter stuck on the block. If this happens you have two seals and one will blow out, dumping the oil real quickly. Towed a car in years ago from a town a few miles away. He had the oil changed and they left the old seal on the block. Pulled the extra seal out, wiped the surfaces and put the filter back on and filled the oil. No knocks and oil pressure was good. The driver had been watching and noticed smoke from oil on the exhaust so pulled over. This was long before cell phones so he walked to the farm house about 1/4 mile away and called. There was still about a quart of oil in it.

Back when I had the 340 in the old Landcruiser, had a 100psi SW gauge and that thing ran against the peg a LOT. It had what had supposed to be a hi volume pump. Wix filters, and no 90 adapter

-
Back