lost oil pressure

-

green1

Reaction score
Installed a new eddy 750 on the 440, was playing with the springs, etc, ran out of gas, more gas, re-started (was fine before); lifters clattering, no oil pressure.

Pulled the dist and intermediate shaft, spun cc with priming rod, get 5 #. 300 miles on the engine, always had 45 at idle. The 2800 rpm drill never really bogged down, and seems to spin up at times, like sucking air again.

Before we start tearing the world apart; pump? pick up? relief spring? lifter laying in valley? It was almost tuned perfect until the last primary rod change. Mech gauge.

pull valve covers and look...but the last one i seen do that still had 35 psi rev'd up.
u could also unbolt oil pump and check it.

whats the oil smell like?

if u had dirt get into the relief ....it will do the same thing and not give more than around 25 psi' rev'd up.

throw a lifter? Thatll do it...bent pushrod, lifter pops out, oil has .994 inch port to flow out of.

100 miles on the oil, great. Just got it off the dyno again tuesday, only took it to 5400 rpm. drove 15 miles home, 10 minutes running off and on while changing metering rods, then start again- clackety clack.

Somethin stoppin up the pickup?

Wix, 100 miles. Trying to get your all experience before we start blindly pulling the engine apart. I have never seen a mopar not prime to 30 or 40 with a drill. I am a small block guy, learning BB's. I have never seen this happen, co-incidence that playing with carb, and new pump goes out?

Not flooded out, the carb was still too lean, but getting better as we started the primary richening, with the rods and springs. We didn't build it, but supposedly, the new pump is hv, with a standard relief spring; think we should look there first? Of course, it is a BB, and everything is a biatch to get to.

Trying to rule out dead ends; running on all 8, change a carb rod; bent a pushrod and spit a lifter? It kicked back thru the carb, but no flame, just gas. Never opened the secondaries, playing with primary metering.. sigh.

Since the messed with relief spring , that we know of- if it broke, would that kill the pressure? The guy has so much $ in this engine, I just helped install and wire and plumb.

And I can't make any sense of what happened. We ran it on the back roads, and it was great, just needed a little primary leaning(black pipes, smell run you out of the shop, black sooty plugs). Until this bs.

Oh, last Eddy carb, sooty, nasty stinking pos, tried to change jets- forget it, already to tight and too boogered to remove, that's why new carb; it did smell better, before the oil fiasco.

Okay first off you are turning the oil pump shaft CCW right. If everything was good the drill should start grunting after only a 1/2 dozen turns as the oil pump starts to build pressure. If no pressure the 2 cheapest checks are first to pull the valve covers and check that all the pushrods are in place and you can look down through the head casting openings and see the tops of all the lifters. If everythings good then next is to drop the pan and check if the pickup is loose or the screen is plugged. Third pull the oil pump and check that the relief valve isn't stuck open. Fourth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just called the owner, he double checked the oil again, correct level, no gas. We'll pull the valve covers Mon AM.

Thanks, guys.

Ok, pulled the intake and valley. #3 intake lifter laying in the valley, pushrod not bent, roller rocker ok. Had this happen on a Ford 300 6 years ago, all I could figure out was the lifter collapsed over night, giving the clearance to toss the pushrod.

But this happened within 1/2 hour, while we changed springs on the Eddy carb. Any suggestions. experiences? 400 miles on all new parts.

Let me add; When we re-primed, had oil pressure, started to adjust the roller arms, then realized some lifters were still collapsed. Loosened everything, and cranked it over with the starter, until all the hydraulics were pumped up; then went through and tightened all 3/4 turn after couldn't spin the pushrod. Sound good?

Sounds like maybe a faulty lifter.

Ok, pulled the intake and valley. #3 intake lifter laying in the valley, pushrod not bent, roller rocker ok. Had this happen on a Ford 300 6 years ago, all I could figure out was the lifter collapsed over night, giving the clearance to toss the pushrod.

But this happened within 1/2 hour, while we changed springs on the Eddy carb. Any suggestions. experiences? 400 miles on all new parts.

I Nailed it! I dont think the lifter can collapse enough to unseat the pushrod, did you have a preload on it? Glad it was something EZ and free (well, maybe those paper gaskets on the used valley pan...)

are your roller lifters bar retainer style or slotted lifter bore? Small blocks can get a Milodon lifter valley pan that stops lifter pop-out

A sticky valve will cause enough gap between the rod and rocker arm then kick out the push rod then the lifter and no a collapsed lifter is not going to give the gap required to kick it out.

Making sense now, the builder admitted to only putting 1/4 turn preload on today( flay hydraulics) Other ? The intake that was shut, had about a teaspoon ful of oil on it, in the head. ????????

Confused again; the valve was shut, with oil holding in the head. If it stuck open; no clearance; stuck closed, some preload.

It only went to maybe 2000 rpm, just goosing the carb, to watch the metering rods, to see if they stayed down at idle, and raised all the way on a blip. No problems before, drove it home from a dyno test. And blipped it in shop a lot.

What brand rockers?What o.d. on springs? How long are the pushrods?Those 3 qustions might provide your answer.

Will have to check in am; builder kinda secretive. Big pushrods. roller iron rockers, cam? you can tell not much duration, but looks like .500 lift. Harbor freight dial gauge got trashed after 1/2 of fighting it.

We are trying not too take the front of the engine apart. This is a 69 Charger, the pain of pulling all that stuff back out---custom denso, costum air, pos p/s , 3 row rad, and 2 old men bending over a long nose charger, lol.

crapola, but it ain't right. I already measured, to replace the cam; rad, a/c condenser, even a body strut cut. Just looking for a quick fix, but we know that ain't happening. Poop. Over a year, rotessorie and all; he is so bummed out.

-
Back