Lost reverse in 904 while driving. Any ideas??

-

retractable

Reaction score
We were starting a 5 day car cruise and I lost reverse after the first 40 miles. Trans was working fine before this. I have all forward gears and forward shifts fine. No leaks. Trans is all stock and no shift kits. Trans was completely rebuilt 5 years ago and has had no problems. Thanks

going to need to drop the pan and look at the rear band...rear band servo...and/or rear band adjuster...

Could be as simple as adjustment issue or linkage damage with your shifter. Believe the 66's had an adjustable rod swivel assembly.

IMG_0548.JPG

I have checked all linkage and it checks out ok. Floor shift. I have park, N, and all forward gears. Both shifting manually and in D range.

Instead of going park to reverse as you would do normally try starting car and going from park to drive. Let drive engage and then put in reverse. If it catches you will probably here clunk and just need to adjust low/reverse band. If still nothing you most likely have band damage as others have stated.

I have tried that also and nothing. How does reverse band break driving in high? I backed up after filling gas and drove 40 mile and had no reverse?

I have tried that also and nothing. How does reverse band break driving in high? I backed up after filling gas and drove 40 mile and had no reverse?
Simple, the last time you used reverse the material and band separated and upon release of the band...the friction material fell out from the metal band and now it's probably in the pan and the band is junk.
Usually they just pop, as in metal band snaps apart at or near the ends when you initially put it in reverse.

I was hoping for an easy fix but I see it will need to be rebuilt . Thanks for all the help. I will try and get picture when it is apart.

BTW this is how I knew the trans needed rebuilding in my fastback, after around 225K. One day, driving around, reverse stopped working.

5 years isn't much of a lifespan. You might try another shop this time.

I lost reverse in one years ago. I found the bar between the servo and the band laying in the pan. I believe (don't quote me) The band is for reverse and manual low only. You may be able to re install the link, properly adjust the band, and be fixed easily. tmm

I lost reverse in one years ago. I found the bar between the servo and the band laying in the pan. I believe (don't quote me) The band is for reverse and manual low only. You may be able to re install the link, properly adjust the band, and be fixed easily. tmm
I've seen this too. Simple fix. Worth a shot at dropping the pan and checking before you condemn it

Trans is rebuilt and in. The reverse band was burned out. Shop thought it was out of adjustment and that was the cause . Transmission special shop did the work this time and it was done in 2 days. I should be good for many miles.

How much did it cost? Did you drive in and drive out? Or bring the transmission to them? Same people who rebuilt it 5 years ago ?

Trans is rebuilt and in. The reverse band was burned out. Shop thought it was out of adjustment and that was the cause . Transmission special shop did the work this time and it was done in 2 days. I should be good for many miles.

Different shop this time. A special transmission shop. They took trany out ,rebuilt it and installed it. Cost me $775.00 I didnt think was a bad price. They seemed to know what they were doing and as of right now I would take more work to them.

-
Back