Low buck options for 17 inch wheels

-

myMoparHome

Reaction score
So looking to upgrade to 17 wheels, but looking for some lowbuck options. What do you think guys???

IMO..... I don't care for them on our A-bodies. I'm a bigNlittle kinda guy. 235/60-14s/245-50-15s on the front(24.6tall). And 295/50-15s out back(26.6).
At one time I had 275/60-15s(28s) back there. The height was good, but the width was sadly lacking. I like the 325/50-15sDRs(27.8 ), but the fit is so tight in the semi-stock tubs, it puts a damper on my driving style, and on the street, they offer no traction advantage on my combo.They sure look good tho IMO.

Mustang late model stuff, fits with intelligence on decisions.. Think 17" 's, & 45 series. What doe you have, for a car??( any modifications, would simplify this) .That, would help.

I got a real low buck option for 17s.

15s.

Not only that, but 17s are almost in the same boat as 14s. They are not used much anymore and the selection is getting smaller all the time.

IMO..... I don't care for them on our A-bodies. I'm a bigNlittle kinda guy. 235/60-14s/245-50-15s on the front(24.6tall). And 295/50-15s out back(26.6).
At one time I had 275/60-15s(28s) back there. The height was good, but the width was sadly lacking. I like the 325/50-15sDRs(27.8 ), but the fit is so tight in the semi-stock tubs, it puts a damper on my driving style, and on the street, they offer no traction advantage on my combo.They sure look good tho IMO.

I got a real low buck option for 17s.

15s.

Not only that, but 17s are almost in the same boat as 14s. They are not used much anymore and the selection is getting smaller all the time.

Boy, all those non related opinions to the original post really helps the guy out with his question...Way to keep it Classy FABO, you should all be real proud of yourselves.

I have to agree with AbodyBomber, a used set of Mustang wheels will be the cheapest way to go.

ok, here is my car....... keep in mind that my suspension is highly modified and my wheels are not cheep. but I have had "cheep" 17" wheels and stock suspension in the past.

You can find used mustang wheels for sale locally for pretty cheap. the only problem is going to be the back spacing on the rear. they are going to tuck in way too far on the rear. On most stock a-body wheel wells and suspension you can fit a 17x8 on the rear with a 245/45/17 and clear everything. on the fronts your going to need a 17X7 at the widest with a 215/45/17. i would look into the sets on ebay. they come mounted and balanced with wheels and tires for a pretty fair price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17x7-17x8-P...ash=item2ca46c7ea6:g:XV4AAOxyRhBSrnEt&vxp=mtr

these are only $1150 for 4 wheels and tires. mounted balanced and ready to go. they are new and ready to bolt on. they say they are for mustang but they would fit perfect on an a-body provided its been swapped to big bolt pattern. or a 73-76 model year already.

What car, what bolt pattern, what brakes, what rear end?
It matters

Yup, this would be really helpful...

And just ignore all the big wheel haters. Their opinions, like their choice of tires, are about 40 years out of date and completely irrelevant. It's your car. If they want to run hockey pucks and have lousy traction, that's their problem.

You can find 17" mustang rims that will work pretty easily, the ones that you'd want to be looking for are 17x8" with a 5.72" backspace. Those usually require a small spacer (3-5mm) in the front to clear the outer tie rod end, the backspace needs to end up around 5.6" to clear on most cars with stock suspension and BBP brakes. Also, most of the factory mustang rims will need the center bore opened up a little to clear the hubs on the mopar disks (assuming you have large bolt pattern disks).

Another option are the Legend 5's from Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-141h7865gm19/overview/

vsw-141h5761gm6_ml.jpg

They come in a 17x8" with a 5.25" backspace, which should work on the front and back of most A-bodies. A small spacer may be needed in the back on some cars depending on which rear axle you have and your tire choice, but again you're usually only talking about a 3 to 5mm spacer, which is pretty insignificant. The nice thing about the legend 5's is that the center bore is pretty big, so nothing has to be done to the rims to make them work. And if you have an 8 3/4 rear with BBP axles you probably won't need a spacer in the back.

I run the legend 5's on my Challenger. They have a nice, classic look to them and are pretty inexpensive as far as 17" rims go. The Challenger has the later 11.75" B/R body front disks and 11" rear drums, the rims clear everything just fine. Mine are 17x9's with 275/40/17 tires, which is a 25.7" tall tire. You can go a little taller with the tires (especially in the back) if you want a little more sidewall to minimize "big wheel" look.

IMG_3018.jpg

the cars are 67 barracuda and 73 valiant all have disk and big bolt pattern with 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 rears. im just looking to get better handling than 14 x 5.5 ralleys
jeff

Boy, all those non related opinions to the original post really helps the guy out with his question...Way to keep it Classy FABO, you should all be real proud of yourselves.

I have to agree with AbodyBomber, a used set of Mustang wheels will be the cheapest way to go.

There was nothing unrelated or not "classy" as you say. My comments were simply a direct answer to his question. What do you think fuels tire and wheel manufacturing? A small niche market like classic cars? Hardly. Cars and trucks being sold new everyday.

17s have been on the way out for a while now. Hardly anything comes with them anymore. Check around. 18s are way more popular.

I suggest instead of trying to make something out of something that's nothing, that you actually provide some solid input like the rest of us.

At first I didn't care for the bigger wheels but I think the 17's on my dart look good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 411
I believe the OP is looking for some cornering prowess,and you ain't gettin' that
on 15" rollers unless you want to run sizes that fit my omni or ShelbyZ,which are almost
only available in off brand or competition tires. There are way too many 'stang/STI/etc.
cars/fans out there for the 17" line to dry up anytime soon,you can't find anything more
than "T" rated junk for 15" these days,and I had to lol when a member said the traction
"wasn't bad" on Goodrich TA's!! Um,....yes it is,they're terrible.I don't understand why
speed rated decent compound tires in 15" aren't available anymore,but they just aren't.
OP, the above members have it right,and gave you the numbers to get it done.
Some of the crown vics shared steelies w/exploder-rangers etc. And I know 16" were
common,you can still get SOME decent 225/50-16 tires,but the wheel styles?? Anyway,
happy hunting!!! :coffee2:

Really.....You think that was related to what he asked ? No. Once again, you throw your comments that do not help or move the discussion forward. So Move on..

Happy Thanksgiving.

17s have been on the way out for a while now. Hardly anything comes with them anymore. Check around. 18s are way more popular.

This is partially true, there are a lot fewer 17" tires out there now than there was a few years ago.

BUT, there are still about 30x as many options as there are for 15's. Seriously.

If you don't believe me, just go to tirerack.com. If you do a search for 245/60/15's, you get 1 result. One. The BFG T/A hockey puck. If you do a search for 245/45/17's, you get 89 results. Now, if you limit that to performance passenger tires, you get 31. So, tire selection really isn't an issue. And price? Those BFG T/A's cost $147. Most of the tires that I would run in the 245/45/17 size are around $130. Yeah.

Now, 255/45/17's only give you 13 results for performance passenger tires, but again, you get 1 result for 15's. 275/40/17's have about 25 options, but those aren't an option for some A-bodies without modifications.

Yes, there are more options for 18" rims. And even 18's have seen their selection drop off a little lately, especially when you get up into the wide tires like the 295's I have on my Duster. Selection for 19's is better. But when you compare your options in 17's to your options for 15's its still a no contest.

Ross, I'm with you. way to much bashing going on here. If you don't like the topic or have some positive input to the thread move on. There is plenty to read and participate in a thread that's more suited to your particular taste.

-
Back