-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For those that followed/remembered the "low dollar 318 hop up",
my Low dollar 318 hop-up project
well, I made it back down to the strip.
Here is a copy of the 1st run at the strip. Remember the "bog" I had?
Ran the "low dollar 318" in the Duster today

I sold the Eddy, and pieced together this 670 street avenger holley. Got back down there and ran a 14.95 at about 95 mph. My goal was to throw under 500 bucks at a 318 2bbl in a Duster with automatic with 2.76 gears (things that could be done with the motor in the car) and run with a Factory '73 340 Duster with auto/3.21 gears. They are well documented to go low 15's at 93 mph from the factory. I just barely exceeded them :) ..... no headers, factory stall, 2.76's

DSCN0872.JPG

Last edited:
Calculator says....

225 horse and the rear wheels. I think it's safe to say 300 at the crank through an automatic. Nothing wrong with about 1hp per cube. Especially for 500 bucks.

With 95 mph I bet you might be spinning a little. Might be able to lose another .5 seconds (or more?) with a little more traction!

Good build. I followed that thread. I always liked the idea that you don't have to throw thousands of dollars at an engine to make it run. And run well.

No big dollar parts? No brand name builder doing machine work? No multi-$$$ budget? Say it isn't so....oh the humanity!!!!!

Congratulation! This build is very good explained in every detail, so everyone with little knowhow can understand it.

Great job. Gives me hope to get in the 14s with my ride. I did get headers though. Got them from my dad so can't count against the budget

Congratulation! This build is very good explained in every detail, so everyone with little knowhow can understand it.
thanks. I did this for newbies with little knowledge and less money. I tried to document/explain each part and process (including videos) so they can enjoy the hobby.

Great job. Gives me hope to get in the 14s with my ride. I did get headers though. Got them from my dad so can't count against the budget
Headers help for sure. For a fact a cheap set of 135.00 dollar headers would have added to my mph and dropped my E.T.

great write up. way too many people seem to have to start off spending big $$ on builds that don't yield the results compared to $$ spent, or even need to be spent for what their intended use. or hobby was started decades ago with the hotrod mentality, but then too back then, used parts and knowow were much more commonplace. all is still obtainable and for pretty CHEAP!!!!!!

great write up. way too many people seem to have to start off spending big $$ on builds that don't yield the results compared to $$ spent, or even need to be spent for what their intended use. or hobby was started decades ago with the hotrod mentality, but then too back then, used parts and knowow were much more commonplace. all is still obtainable and for pretty CHEAP!!!!!!
I made that mistake. Out came the 292/508! That was nuts for my intended usage.And I gave up the race gears.And the CF-II disc(man that thing was brutal).
But,I Don't think I could make do with a 14 second car anymore.
I love that 2.328 60 ft! That's tirespin baby! My best is a 2.2something.
Congrats with putting your teener into factory 340 territory. And the 340 needed 3.55s,lol!

But,I Don't think I could make do with a 14 second car anymore.
l!
yeah, certainly not earth shattering. But a great start for a poor $$ newbie, and down the road if headers, 3.55 gears, and converter were added, you'd have a 13 second cheap 318.

Ok, this car has been sitting in storage, pulled out once and taken straight to the track this year, then back in storage. I have a B-body rear end for it waiting to be installed, and I'd like to throw some gears into it just to see what it will do. In fact, I have the housing, axles, backing plates, shock plates, and ordered green bearings and gaskets/vent tube from Dr. Diff. All I have right now is 2.94's in a 741. I need to buy U-bolts and get a shorter drive shaft..... and get some gears... 3.55? 3.91? 4.30? anything I come across that is cheap... LOL

I love that car! Hopefully it will be mine someday! :D
Lol
I talked to my wife about our conversation the other day and she said NO! No more cars until you finish the dart you dont need no more projects. I said its not a project it already runs. I said I will sale my dart to pay for it. She laughed and said you will never sale your dart. I just smiled and said yea your probably right Haha

Will there be a 2020, 318 challenge again?
This will most likely be the last go-around with this engine, even though it starts/runs perfect. I'll probably swap in a magnum, or a who knows what. Thought I'd give the poor girl at least one more small chance with some gears.

This will most likely be the last go-around with this engine, even though it starts/runs perfect. I'll probably swap in a magnum, or a who knows what. Thought I'd give the poor girl at least one more small chance with some gears.
and some nitrous. lol How high will a 318 go and for how long. E berg juiced a stock 318 and it held up pretty good for awhile.

and some nitrous. lol How high will a 318 go and for how long. E berg juiced a stock 318 and it held up pretty good for awhile.
yeah, I've seen it done as well. I'm just not into NOS. LOL... Can put a 200 shot on a slant and go fast once...… :D Besides, it's the original engine to my '76 Duster... LOL

-
Back