Low gear set 904, pro’s and Con’s

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Giving some thought to maybe installing a low gear set when tranny gets freshened.
cars weighs 3350, always hooks, has what I consider a lazy 60.
yea or nay?

I've never seen what all the hooplah was. A bodies are so dang light, they just don't need the low gear set. I'd love to see some comparisons between the two. You can do anything to a car to the point of diminished returns.

I've never seen what all the hooplah was. A bodies are so dang light, they just don't need the low gear set. I'd love to see some comparisons between the two. You can do anything to a car to the point of diminished returns.

3350 is considered heavy for a drag car. From the little bit of research I have done, a heavy car like mine should see some benefit….but…that is why I posted to get others takes on it

3350 is considered heavy for a drag car. From the little bit of research I have done, a heavy car like mine should see some benefit….but…that is why I posted to get others takes on it
I have no clue why the HELL I missed the weight. Yeah with that much of a fatass, the low gear set might show an advantage.

helps not just the weight but 3.23s and 3.55s if you wantto run them

haha…the driver:realcrazy::rofl: is 330….but it’s good weight
Not a pro-drag guy here, but the hardest part is the start. I'd say if You've got the right converter for the engine, it would be a plus in this instance.

We Always use 2.75 in our stockers at that weight even though
they are 500+ HP. Expect close to a full tenth in your 60 if ir still Hooksd!

I wouldn't spend the money to make it happen. The effect will be negligible in a light car. If you're one of those who will do anything for a 1/10 of a second, go for it. I had a buddy that scraped undercoating off a car (30 lbs) in search of the ever elusive tenth of a second, then again he was a NHRA Class racer.

My Big block Dart has a low gear set for the 727.... It was expensive, but the car is heavy, launches nice now and the fun factor is improved.

I got a vague :) overall question, trying to work this out in my head how it would workout, isn't it gonna take a certain amount of mph eg.. 30-40 mph before any gearing catches up to the stall speed ? Which at that point probably at least 1/2 of the 60', more 1st will catch up slightly quicker but also have to shift a lot sooner with a wider drop ratio. Would the change have an effect on the speed it stalls at ? From what I understand lowers it. Wouldn't more stall be a better route if something is off ?

I got a vague :) overall question, trying to work this out in my head how it would workout, isn't it gonna take a certain amount of mph eg.. 30-40 mph before any gearing catches up to the stall speed ? Which at that point probably at least 1/2 of the 60', more 1st will catch up slightly quicker but also have to shift a lot sooner with a wider drop ratio. Would the change have an effect on the speed it stalls at ? From what I understand lowers it. Wouldn't more stall be a better route if something is off ?

the second gear ratio is almost the same as with a standard gearset. Very little difference.
In the case of my car, it’s kinda doggy at the hit , but really starts moving in second gear.
I expect the vert to flash a bit lower if I was to do this, but my plan, either way, is to bump the flash up about 400 rpm from where it’s at now.
I have seen in the past that picking up on a car’s 60 really wakes up an overall time slip. More than anywhere else.

Cons, none that I've seen.

If you can do it yourself, go for it. Simple enough to swap out the set ups.

I wouldn't spend the money to make it happen. The effect will be negligible in a light car. If you're one of those who will do anything for a 1/10 of a second, go for it. I had a buddy that scraped undercoating off a car (30 lbs) in search of the ever elusive tenth of a second, then again he was a NHRA Class racer.

the car isn’t light, it’s 3350 with me. Have typed that several times

Cope did a low gear set in my 904. Unfortunately I don't have a before and after 60ft to provide since it's a new build. John seemed pretty sure it would be beneficial. I'm at 3,170lbs with me in the car

-
Back