Low oil volume

-

BPTracing

Reaction score
The 273 in my Dart appears to have been rebuilt at some point in time since it currently has hydraulic lifters. The rocker shafts have shims under them, so I am guessing there has been some block/head work.

While adjusting the rockers, I found there seems to be very little oil getting to the rockers. With the engine running, there is barely any oil making it out the rocker holes. I do see some running down the shaft stands.

I am afraid the low volume ( but 55 psi ) could indicate the cam bearings not properly installed.

Or maybe I am over-thinking it and removing the shims, and changing to proper length pushrods, will cure the problem.

Any thoughts or insights??? I really don't want to do a motor swap or rebuild, but will do what is necessary.

My knowledgeon small blocks is limited, but currently on a steep learning curve.

Last edited:
I would inspect the shims at the oiling holes in the rocker pedestals. If they are partially blocking the oil feed holes, that could cause your issue.

Could be the shafts are installed backwards which does what you are saying

I would inspect the shims at the oiling holes in the rocker pedestals. If they are partially blocking the oil feed holes, that could cause your issue.
That or the shims may be causing a massive oil leak.

Last edited:
Could be the shafts are installed backwards which does what you are saying
That was my first thought as well, but I removed the shafts and double checked. They are correctly installed.
That or the shims may be causing a massive oil leak.
I don't see "massive" oil anywhere in the top. But there is oil running down the stands, so there is some leakage there. So maybe a combination of blocked passage and poor seal?
Hydraulic lifters with adjustable rockers?
What year of 273? 69 had hyd lifters. 67 adjustable...68 not sure
The motor is the original 67, so I can only assume the cam was changed and the original rockers were retained.

Last time I primed the oil system, absolute tons of oil came off the rockers so fast it went down the side of the block. No expert but I share your concern. Standard volume pump

"there is barely any oil making it out the rocker holes."

Are you referring to the rocker shaft or rocker tip?

Pull the shafts, pull the distributor, and intermediate gear, and prime it with a drill. Watch the oiling hole in the rocker stand. It should shoot oil about 3 feet high and all over everything. (Ask me how I know) That will tell you if it’s a cam bearing misaligned or plugged up shafts or shims. You’ll have to look up the oil timing and rotate the engine to where it oils in the rotation.

"there is barely any oil making it out the rocker holes."

Are you referring to the rocker shaft or rocker tip?
The hole on top of the rocker that oil is supposed to run down the top of the rocker to the valve tip.

I had the engine at 2000 rpm to get oil to #2 rocker. Plenty of oil pressure according to the gauge (55), but no volume. So I am guessing I am chasing a restriction somewhere.

Are they oil through push rods? You sure they're hydraulic lifters?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240207-134807.png

If you have 273 solid lifter rockers and pushrods the oiling should be only from the rail.

It is definitely not a push rod oiled motor. I have plenty of those to work on! Lol.

Looks like I will need to pull the rocker shafts and check them for blockage, and spin the motor to see how much oil is getting up to the rocker shafts.

I am just not looking forward to pulling the motor if the cam bearing is put of position. If I pull it, I will likely just go ahead and get a 318 long block to put in.

Unfortunately I already have several other "major" projects that need done first. (Houses and cars) I was hoping this would be a "quickie" and I would have something to play with now.

Race season starts in 2 weeks, which is my "day" job, so my next break to play with my toys won't be til June.

20240207_150815.jpg

If the cam bearings are the issue...

Pull the radiator out and the front timing cover off and pull the cam and replace the bearings

Doesn't matter if the shafts are installed upside, or hole orientation reversed. Rockers still get oiled, just takes longer for oiling to initially start.

The oil supply is poor because oil is not making it into the shafts, instead the oil is running down the stands. Fixing this should be done first & it will probably fix the problem.

If the cam bearings are the issue...

Pull the radiator out and the front timing cover off and pull the cam and replace the bearings

Yeah, radiator, condenser, A/C compressor....if I take that much apart, I may as well pull the motor and put in a little more HP. Add headers, 4bbl, ....its a slippery slope!

In addition to what was mentioned to look for, if you have not already, inspect the shafts to see if they are clogged with dirt and sludge. I have seen a few that are pretty clogged.

-
Back