Low ratio steering boxes

-
What alignment specs where used? For radial tires or bias ply tires? If your other stuff is good. I’d look into this, cus if was aligned to factory specs and you have radial tires it’s not a match and will “wonder”…

What alignment specs where used? For radial tires or bias ply tires? If your other stuff is good. I’d look into this, cus if was aligned to factory specs and you have radial tires it’s not a match and will “wonder”…
It has new radials and was aligned by a guy that does all the hotrod stuff in the area. He for sure knows what he's doing.

And finally, the coupler-shoes can be installed two ways; and the wrong way will introduce a chitstorm of slop.
I got this car a few years ago from a little ol' lady ( original owner) and only 72K miles on it so I know nothing has been replaced in the front end. I DID put new torsion bars and converted it to '73 and up front disc brakes but that's all that's new. When I start digging into it I'll be checking everything!

Update!!!

I had to move my car out so I thought I'd just do a quick check on the steering box bolts....LOOSE! I had the car running and grabbed the steering shaft by hand and turned it...the steering box was moving around! Haven't fixed anything yet but at least i know what the problem is now. I watched how much the wheel was moving and how much the box was moving...exact match. When I tighten the bolts it's take all that slack out of the wheel! Happy Camper!

Loose steering box bolts was the problem. They were all loose by about 2 turns! Tightened them up and ....bingo! Back to normal! Thank you everyone for your input!!!!!

-
Back