Lower control arm adjustment

-

tfie93

Reaction score
Hey guys im a young gun doing a complete suspension swap with my old man Including swapping out th k frame and going from drum to disc. As were going to bolt on the spindles I can't seem to get the upper and lower control arms close enough to bring them together with the spindles. We tried jacking up the lcas bit it was lifting the whole car of the stands so we lowered it back down. Wouldn't be surprised of we screwed up when hooking up the lower control arms first time around but is there a way to adjust their height on the car or do we have to drop them an start over. If so does anyone know exactly how to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm hoping this won't hold us up for too long

116_0312_03_z+proper_lowering+suspension_detail.jpg

You took it apart without taking tension off the torsion bars?! :shock:

So, yeah, unscrew the torsion bar adjusters shown in the picture above. They're used to set the ride height of the car, so you probably want to keep track of how many turns they were adjusted, and make sure they're adjusted the same side to side. Also, adjusting the ride height changes the alignment, so after you get the car back together and set the ride height where you want it, have the alignment checked.

For future reference, any time you want to remove or adjust any of your suspension parts you should back the torsion bar adjusters off until there's no tension on the torsion bars. And you only want to make changes to the adjusters when the front wheels are off the ground, they can strip out if they're adjusted with the weight of the car on them.

Yes tension was taken off I'm just not very good with names and we dropped everything a year ago and are just putting it back up now but that sounds easy enough thank you all for your help!

You probably put the bars in one hex off and the adjusting bolts are against the lever...

With the hex on the torsion bar clocked correctly, the bump stop has to be removed from underneath the upper arm. Those who clock the hex wrong and get it together without first removing that bump stop will end up with adjust bolts too short to get the ride height correct or there's another way to do it wrong and have the adjust bolt heads dragging the asphault LOL
I forget the ways to do it wrong , doesn't matter as long as its done right. :)

I tried adjusting them and i did get closer but still have a ways to go. Looks like im going to have to take the lowers out and reposition them, but is there anyway to tell which way the hex should fit or is it more ore less just trial and error
??

-
Back