Lower Control Arm torque

-

Cravin'sCuda

Reaction score
I just rebuilt the front end of my car, and the question I have is when to torque the LCA pivot nut, when the T-bars are completely unloaded,with wheels on and sitting on the ground, or jacked in the air with the shocks on and no wheel.:scratch:
picture004go7.jpg

I'm thinking that you would have the LCAs down all the way with the car jacked up. Insert the T-bars and torque the nut and then let the car down. Then install the shocks. I did a Charger years ago and I let the car down and it was almost on the ground. Had to do it all over again but I got it right. I do remember that I installed the T-bars with them hanging down but it has been a while since then.

I believe you want to set final torque on the torsion bars with the car tires setting on the ground and therefore loading the suspension with the car weight. You can start applying some torque with it jacked up first, so when you put the car down it doesn't drop completely to the ground with no t-bar tension applied. You also have to do it on the ground to set ride height correctly.

If you are using the aftermarket poly bushings it doesn't matter. As the pin will rotate inside the LCA bushing when the car is set down.

If you are using the rubber type bushing (much better than the poly - in my opinion) leave the LCA nut loose, lower the car to ride height (and set the ride height) with the torsion bars installed. The engine needs to be in the car to get the correct weight on the t-bars. Now torque the LCA nut. If you don't do it this way you risk tearing the bushing or have the bushing tun inside its metal jacket.

-
Back