Lower control arm

-

'73red-duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How tough to change out lower control arm bushing on a '73 Dart Sport? Front end out of allignment,(and won't stay in)and that's all we can find wrong. Front end guy say's he does'nt have the tools to work on it. Young guy,never worked on torsion bar suspension. Any suggestions.

I don't know about a bushing, but the "Young guy" has the tools and dosen't know it. The only tool that should be in his box and probably isn't is a T-bar remover. It is basicly a clamp that has an area to stike safely (As not to scratch, dent or maul the T-bar) for removing the bar.
The arm itself can be stuck with a hammer on the other side of the K-frame and a pry bar to help remove it placed inbetween the arm and K-frame. It should slide right out.

I believe what Rumblefish360 and Eric S68 are talking about is removing the Torsion Bars, and yes Mancini Racing has those tools - they are great as I've bought them and they make removing the torsion bar much easier than my homemade stuff. However, if your looking to swap out the Lower Control Arm Bushing, that's a different story. I've done it the hard way myself with a cold chisel and a sledge hammer. it took a long time, but I did get it out. Between swinging the sledge hammer and trying to bend the outside of the Bushing so that I could get it out of the control arm, it was a hassle and I was quite tired of swinging the sledge hammer when it was over. I took the other side to a local machine shop and the guy had it out and back to me within an afternoon and changed me only about 10 - 15 dollars for his time. I'm not sure what he used - I think he has a hydraulic press, but I'm not sure.
I also got the Upper ball joint socket from Mancini racing, and that is wonderful also!
Hope this helps.

de69cuda said:
I believe what Rumblefish360 and Eric S68 are talking about is removing the Torsion Bars, and yes Mancini Racing has those tools - they are great as I've bought them .

Actually, I was talking about the Tool to remove the LCA Bushing and the tool to remove the LCA pivot shaft. I bought both, but havent used them yet, maybe today since I'm held up on building the cage. I've never had to use the tool for the torsion bars, mine came out easy.

I cheated, I installed poly bushings in the LCA's. Great time and frustration saver. You don't have to remove the outer shell, just the bushing and sleeve (which usually stays attached to the shaft). Easy.

Rev.

A press to push the LCA pivot out, and an air hammer/chisel tp to cut the sleeve out. Took about two hours to do both on my car. There is a How-To article here somewhere that I think Rumblefish pointed me to. Worked awesome.
I have the link saved at home, when I get there I will point you to it.

Jim Lusk said:
He's NOT a front end guy..................

No, I'm not a front end guy - just a shade tree mechanic who enjoy's wrenching on my car. Being able to do as much as i can on my own teaches me about my car and how it works as well as not having anyone else to blame if it's not installed correctly.

Just trying to share my experience to help others...

Hey de69cuda,I think Jim was talking about the guy that looked at my car,not you. I appreciate everyones input. I'm looking into the tools from Mancini,and I have access to a press. I'm also probably going to get the whole front end rebuild kit from them . $229,if you order it online. Thanks,Dave

Jim,

OK - sorry for assuming otherwise. Assuming things always gets me into trouble! I do agree - you've got to find a mechanic (either an enthusist or an old school mechanic) who knows Mopars.

-
Back