Lower the steering wheel...

-

2kids

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm looking for basic instructions on lowering my steering wheel. I've read the threads where I need to do this in order to get my instrument cluster - but I'm not sure what all I need to loosen to lower it enough to get this job done. Guessing I'm just lowering it down and resting it on the seat right?

thanks,
Darcy

Easy. Three or 4 bolts at the big floor plate where the column meets the firewall. Then one bolt on a bracket up under near the pedals. Remove the trim piece underneath, and either disconnect the harness, or make sure you have enough harness length so it doesn't 'hang' on the harness.

Finally, up under where the trim was, is two small nuts (7/16 wrench) on long studs. Buzz those down so they are just barely holding the end, and the column should be hanging on them and loose.

Now you can take one last "feel and look" to be sure you are OK.

Then just remove those last two nuts and depending on the rotation of the column flex joint, (might have to turn wheel 1/4 turn) it should drop down.

Look at the top right of the diagram. This is the third bolt at the lower end of the bracket.

At the bottom of the diagram, "bolts (32)" are going into the floor plate, and

At the middle of the diagram, showing the bracket (upside down U) the "studs (2) are where you remove the 2 nuts underneath.

Neither the studs, nor the bracket below the column need to be removed.

zioz6q.jpg

On my duster all I do is remove the plastic lower column trim cover (4 screws I think) then you should be able to see the 3 or 4 nuts holding the column bracket up in place (they have plastic rectangle retainers in the slots on the column bracket that the mounting studs slip through).

I remove those and that allows the column to drop 2 or 3" (enough to get the instrument cluster out anyhow) I don't bother with removing the mounting bolts down by the pedals where it meets the firewall. unless I need the column to drop way down or if I am removing it.

On my duster all I do is remove the plastic lower column trim cover (4 screws I think) then you should be able to see the 3 or 4 nuts holding the column bracket up in place (they have plastic rectangle retainers in the slots on the column bracket that the mounting studs slip through).

I remove those and that allows the column to drop 2 or 3" (enough to get the instrument cluster out anyhow) I don't bother with removing the mounting bolts down by the pedals where it meets the firewall. unless I need the column to drop way down or if I am removing it.
I agree, I usually don't mess with the firewall stuff unless the column fits especially tight for some reason. Depending on your year, just remove the plastic trim panel beneath the column, then the 3 or 4 nuts/bolts (and washers) holding the column to the dash. One of the studs is double nutted were it holds the ground strap. Remember to reinstall it in the same place. With any luck at all, the plastic insulators won't be broken into a million pieces! If they're just cracked in two, you should be able to reuse them if you install them carefully. If they fall to bits, you'll need to find some replacements.

I agree, I usually don't mess with the firewall stuff unless the column fits especially tight for some reason. Depending on your year, just remove the plastic trim panel beneath the column, then the 3 or 4 nuts/bolts (and washers) holding the column to the dash. One of the studs is double nutted were it holds the ground strap. Remember to reinstall it in the same place. With any luck at all, the plastic insulators won't be broken into a million pieces! If they're just cracked in two, you should be able to reuse them if you install them carefully. If they fall to bits, you'll need to find some replacements.

yup, mine were cracked in 2 also....I ended up slipping each half back in and reusing them.

I've never lowered the column to remove the cluster (although now that I've heard about it I can see where that would make it a helluva lot easier:smile:)

I've never lowered the column to remove the cluster (although now that I've heard about it I can see where that would make it a helluva lot easier:smile:)

not sure about others....but I know on my duster its a super tight fit.....my column is right in the way of the cluster.

I could probably pull really hard and get it out but would either ruin my paint or snap my cluster in half in the process LOL.

so Ill stick to lowering the column:thumleft:

If the car is column shift automatic, Set the park brake and lower the shifter to neutral. If you dont do this and then you put some downward pressure on the column you will change the shifter linkage enough to effect the neutral safety switch. Afterward you would need to pull up on the shifter to start the car until you crawl under the car and re-adjust the linkage.

If the car is column shift automatic, Set the park brake and lower the shifter to neutral. If you dont do this and then you put some downward pressure on the column you will change the shifter linkage enough to effect the neutral safety switch. Afterward you would need to pull up on the shifter to start the car until you crawl under the car and re-adjust the linkage.

thanks for the tip!

Apparently I have a car that needs me to lower the steering wheel more than just a few inches - wrestled with the instrument cluster yesterday and just could not wiggle it out.

Back at it later,
Darcy

If you disconnect it from the steering box, you'll be able the drop the steering wheel all the way into the seat. Column shift probably won't drop that far, but should give you enough.

-
Back