LSx Valiant Build. Take a look inside...

-
Why are so many people afraid, of LS swaps? They DO MAKE HORSEPOWER,and are COMPLETELY SOUL LESS ,and BORING....... To each ,their own......
Like putting together a motor that hundreds of thousands of Slowpars came with is exciting. Local guy that will be doing the tuning...he used to work down there in Southern Commiefornia, place called Westtech. He was putting the final touches on a Trailblazer. 408, 12:2.1, aftermarket heads...over 600RWHP....under $10k.

Bottom line....I don't have the apparent deep poctets that you do....

He was putting the final touches on a Trailblazer. 408, 12:2.1, aftermarket heads...over 600RWHP....under $10k.

Bottom line....I don't have the apparent deep poctets that you do....
You can do it WAY cheaper. The last one I built was a lq9 for $900. Sent the heads out for CNC and quality rebuild $1300. Big roller cam $350. Trunnion kit $80. CTS lifters $150. Used Hi-ram intake with throttle body and injectors $900. 539 HP @ the wheels and runs 10.6's in a full street trim Regal.

Last edited:
You can do it WAY cheaper. The last one I built was a lq9 for $900. Sent the heads out for CNC and quality rebuild $1300. Big roller cam $350. Trunnion kit $80. CTS lifters $150. Used Hi-ram intake with throttle body and injectors $900. 539 HP @ the wheels and runs 10.6's in a full street trim Regal.
Damn good price on that intake with throttle body and injectors. What size TB and injectors? Do have a link on them?

Damn good price on that intake with throttle body and injectors. What size TB and injectors? Do have a link on them?
I don't have any links. Nothing special though. All components were Holley. The TB was a 105 and the injectors were 75's if I recall correctly. Got the whole deal used of the LS forums for $900 with rails on a Hi-ram. Brand new I think it would've been around $1600.

Regardless, 600 at the crank from 95% junkyard stuff and under $4000 is pretty hard to beat. Short block had 160,000 on it when built and has 20k after.

I don't have any links. Nothing special though. All components were Holley. The TB was a 105 and the injectors were 75's if I recall correctly. Got the whole deal used of the LS forums for $900 with rails on a Hi-ram. Brand new I think it would've been around $1600.

Regardless, 600 at the crank from 95% junkyard stuff and under $4000 is pretty hard to beat. Short block had 160,000 on it when built and has 20k after.
Wasn't bagging on ya, just wanted a little more detail. Like I said, damn good deal. What were the 60' times? I've been toying with a couple of 5.3s and they can make just as much power as the LQ9, they spin up faster, but the LQ9 beats them on torque.

318? My sh?tbox had a /. Fixed income & falling apart physically makes things a bit of a challenge...
Lol ya just razzin ya Doug, I know how it goes believe me. You really should get SOMETHING started on it , crap , there I go again....

Wasn't bagging on ya, just wanted a little more detail. Like I said, damn good deal. What were the 60' times? I've been toying with a couple of 5.3s and they can make just as much power as the LQ9, they spin up faster, but the LQ9 beats them on torque.
I honestly have no clue what the 60' times were. I built the motor for a now estranged friend (he got married). The car was pretty poorly mismatched and a nightmare to drive. Slipping 200r4 with a 3500ish converter, cobbled together rear with who-knows gears, 275ish drag radials and a Frankenstein suspension comprised of bolt on stuff. Definitely not pulling the wheels, but it would do very impressive top fuel impersonations if you could keep it straight.

Lol ya just razzin ya Doug, I know how it goes believe me. You really should get SOMETHING started on it , crap , there I go again....
No worries Sir...Last few years have been a nightmare. Gophers took out the power to the well. 150' of rock infested digging. Injectors went out on the truck.By the time I was done with the injectors, lines, lift pump, EFI Live...was right at 4k. Doubt I will get anyplace with it soon. Doc is suggesting another shoulder surgery..on the left side...will be down 8-10 weeks. Right side is actually hurting worse...door/paint on the shed...by the time I am done will probably be close to 2000' of drip line for the trees...that's after I pound (remember shoulder surgery/rocks) couple hundred feet of posts in to fence the dogs in so they don't break a leg in the drip line trench...good times...

No worries Sir...Last few years have been a nightmare. Gophers took out the power to the well. 150' of rock infested digging. Injectors went out on the truck.By the time I was done with the injectors, lines, lift pump, EFI Live...was right at 4k. Doubt I will get anyplace with it soon. Doc is suggesting another shoulder surgery..on the left side...will be down 8-10 weeks. Right side is actually hurting worse...door/paint on the shed...by the time I am done will probably be close to 2000' of drip line for the trees...that's after I pound (remember shoulder surgery/rocks) couple hundred feet of posts in to fence the dogs in so they don't break a leg in the drip line trench...good times...
Busy morning. What are you doing after lunch?

I'm getting a 68 barracuda this wknd. Im swapping in a 600hp LS3 to it. Hear em cryin now...

They'll probably commend you on a well built chassis. It makes no sense.

Yet, if my next duster/dart is pulled from weeds, given an LS, and driven daily it will be hated nonstop. lol
I'm doing a 68 barracuda/ LS swap. Let the hate begin!!! Lmao atcha!!!

I'm doing a 68 barracuda/ LS swap. Let the hate begin!!! Lmao atcha!!!

Just so you know, it has been done before... 1969 Notchback. (not mine)

DSC08637.JPG

DSC08667.JPG

Very nice lookin. Would be nice to know the builder for engine mount and header ideas. Least I won't be alone. Great pro touring car with the torsion bars and aluminum engine... Btw, thanks!

We just installed an 8.8 into my sons 63 valiant. Pics are in our build thread. It really is as easy as it sounds.

I had to slip at least one non mopar part into the build. Lol.
I'd like to get info on that 8.8 install! I'm lookin at having mosier narrow a ford 9" or a Dana 60. 8.8 easier, cheaper? Thanks!

Just so you know, it has been done before... 1969 Notchback. (not mine)
That is Chris Shawver's 1969 Barracuda which is equipped with a LS2/4L60e.
Nice car! Well done swap.
1969 LS2 Barracuda Chris Shawver MSD.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to get info on that 8.8 install! I'm lookin at having mosier narrow a ford 9" or a Dana 60. 8.8 easier, cheaper? Thanks!

There's a huge thread on it in the drivetrain section. Depending on your goals its a pretty nice option, they really cheap and can be found in most yards with disc brakes and they're suppose to be relatively easy to cut down for an A-body.(Or as is w/ a small spacer if you want it in a duster without the weird sunk in wheels look)

Very nice lookin. Would be nice to know the builder for engine mount and header ideas. Least I won't be alone. Great pro touring car with the torsion bars and aluminum engine... Btw, thanks!

It looks like he's using standard manifolds. I'd love to see some underside pics of this car.

I already have a 600hp LS3. I'd like to know his details. I'll try to find it. It looks factory. Nice job, not cluttered. I just got me a 67 after 35 years. Btw ,I have a 400, two 440's and a 360. It has a 318 initial now,so I'm not limited on engines. I'm just enjoying my new old car now!

Great job, I just wish Chris would have left the engine bay body color. Would have made it legitimate!

I'm thinking real hard about it. The LS3 is done and on the stand. 600 hp ready to go. Or I gotta build a 440 or better yet a 451. Tranny is the biggest issue. I want to be able to put it back to original if I want to.

.Looks like headers to me too. I'd sure like to kno. Save me a lot of money and research...

Chris used some S-10 conversion headers on the barracuda.
Tight fit around the steering box and torsion bars. It requires some quality engine location and exhaust fitting, but it works. These pics are taken from his Facebook page. I am sure Chris would be happy to help anyone with more information.

LSX Barracuda drivers side engine.jpg

LSX Barracuda pass engine.jpg

LSX Barracuda Underside b.jpg

LSX Barracuda Underside.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at mid length s-10 LS swap headers. I don't do Facebook. Not socially acceptable... Lol! Thanks Topbrent. If you know him and can, hook me up. I'm thinking of a 2004r so I don't have to cut my floor. Just put in frame ties, tie in the tranny crossmember and ad a crossmember to the frame ties to work as a tranny mount. I'll do a 451 if the LS sells. Looks like a tubular subframe. I think it can be done with LS mounts and the stock K member. Dunno...turbo 350 may work too cause it's shorter. Then I'd use gearvendors for overdrive.

Last edited:
-
Back