LSx Valiant Build. Take a look inside...

-

LS1 ACE

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I couldn't find a section to put this in. Overall, the hemi swap section seemed the most appropriate.

I picked up this Valiant about 3 years ago and since then I've contemplated what direction I wanted to take with it. With a background in lsx vehicles, I naturally wanted to stuff an lsx into it. It soon became apparent however, that the swap was not very common at all. Originallity be damned, I decided to get together with a local fabricator and make it happen.

Here is the result. The goal is to one day turbocharge it, but for now it will be an na build with nitrous. If anybody is interested or has any comments, questions, concerns go ahead and let me know. I'll do all I can to help.

24kxvg7.jpg

The motor fits better in here than it has ever fit n any stock lsx equipped vehicle I've ever seen.

10hulh0.jpg

Took a custom oil pan.

3342kit.jpg

Custom trans member and mount

Awesome build Man!

Involved in the same mayhem myself!

I am building a LS3 for my 66 Coronet!

Awesome build Man!

Involved in the same mayhem myself!

I am building a LS3 for my 66 Coronet!

The ls3 is a BAD motor, and the 66 coronet is a fave mopar of mine. Those lines are classic. Can't wait to see it when you make it happen man.

Thanks man. It's gonna be awesome!
Planning on the Dillinger Coil Over Conversion for the front end of my Coronet, also.

Can't wait for it to be on the road!

Thanks man. It's gonna be awesome!
Planning on the Dillinger Coil Over Conversion for the front end of my Coronet, also.

Can't wait for it to be on the road!

Been thinking about going the same route with the valiant (coilovers). Talked to the fabricator and he is positive he can make a strong/clean coilover setup. It will be a solid suspension setup and will also open up much needed room for long tube headers. Currently, the torsion bars are making it hard to squeeze them in.

Cool build...I'm doing an LS in one of my Dart projects, great engine. 400 RWHP and 30 mpg can't be beat.

Been thinking about going the same route with the valiant (coilovers). Talked to the fabricator and he is positive he can make a strong/clean coilover setup. It will be a solid suspension setup and will also open up much needed room for long tube headers. Currently, the torsion bars are making it hard to squeeze them in.

Marvin, I would highly recommend looking at John's stuff. http://www.dillingerchassis.com/

Hard to beat john's (Badart) prices and it is a solid, well thought out design. Bolt it on and enjoy.

attachment.php

More PICS, More Specs... and forget about the nay-sayers...

That is sweet, what great motors. I am doing the hemi swap myself, but I dig it...

That pan looks nice, what trans are you running, did you do other floor mods besides cut the T-bar crossmember, that crossmember is pretty clean too... looks like a 4spd floor before?

Show us some more PICS, all my buddys drive chevys, it would be nice to be able to race at the chevy show with them...

JOE

Looks awesome! Would love to see the finished product. Oh, & don't feel alone, I catch flak for prepping my '63 to put an AMC 390 in it. Main reason, already had the motor, other reason .... for the unique factor.

Look forward to watching your build :thumbup:

More PICS, More Specs... and forget about the nay-sayers...

That is sweet, what great motors. I am doing the hemi swap myself, but I dig it...

That pan looks nice, what trans are you running, did you do other floor mods besides cut the T-bar crossmember, that crossmember is pretty clean too... looks like a 4spd floor before?

Show us some more PICS, all my buddys drive chevys, it would be nice to be able to race at the chevy show with them...

JOE

Thanks. I would have loved to do the hemi swap too, but I'm much more familiar with lsx engines. Plus they are more affordable. The engine is a 5.3 out of an 08 Silverardo. Upgraded the cam, got rid of the drive on demand junk, upgraded valvetrain, and kept stock heads. With full exhaust and some nitrous I hope to run deep 11's.

The trans is a stock 4l60e. Gonna go with a converter and a transcooler on it. The floor was kept perfectly intact. It is a 4 speed floor. I will mount a shifter on it and it should work without a hitch. The fabricator took great care to not cut up the car if at all possible. The 73 k member wasn't even touched for the engine mounts. Motor mounts were fabbed to sit on the stock k member mounts.

I posted a few more pics in post #27.

Just pullin your chain. It is hell of engine an alot cheaper to build then a hemi. Good luck with your build. LOL

Lol. Thanks man. Damn right about it being cheaper than the Hemi. The engine has got a cam, stock heads, and upgraded valvetrain. With the addition of the nitrous, it should still be well under the price of a stock hemi.

Looks awesome! Would love to see the finished product. Oh, & don't feel alone, I catch flak for prepping my '63 to put an AMC 390 in it. Main reason, already had the motor, other reason .... for the unique factor.

Look forward to watching your build :thumbup:

Thanks man. I think the unique factor definitely has an appeal. Plus, if you already have the motor it makes it that much more enticing to do it. I'll keep you guys updated on the build.

2iqice8.jpg

Here is an exterior shot

152l535.jpg

I like this shot, shows off the wheel centers I'm gonna go with too

Looks like a pretty nice build to me. My grandfather had a 64 El Camino and I always thought if I ever ended up with it I would do a similar swap. Since I don't really hang out in the Chevy forums this is a cool project that I'm interested in watching.

What kind of intake you plan on running carb. or fuel injection?

Looks like a pretty nice build to me. My grandfather had a 64 El Camino and I always thought if I ever ended up with it I would do a similar swap. Since I don't really hang out in the Chevy forums this is a cool project that I'm interested in watching.

What kind of intake you plan on running carb. or fuel injection?

Thanks man. I'll definitely keep you guys updated as I progress with the car. I'm gonna stick with the stock truck intake. Changing over to a car intake is expensive since the front accessories all have to be changed out too. I considered going carb, but fuel injection is more efficient and costs the same. Ended up staying fuel injected.

Hey check this out from a past issue of Chey....er Hot Rod. You shoulda heard the Chevy guys screaming "FOUL" in the next moths issue.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0904_1967_toyota_powered_chevrolet_camaro/viewall.html

it pumps out 823 hp at the rear wheels with a completely stock short-block. The 183ci Toyota 2JZ-GTE straight-six--originally installed in Mark IV Supras--is legendary for its tremendous power potential and reliability with relatively simple modifications. Although it put out a meager 320 hp from the factory, more than tripling that figure is all too common with simple valvetrain and turbo tweaks. "All you need are some aftermarket valvesprings, titanium retainers, more aggressive camshafts, and a bigger turbo to make 1,000 hp with these motors," explains car owner Ted Nguyen. "A setup like mine doesn't make full boost until 4,000 rpm, but the valvetrain upgrades allow it to rev to 9,000 rpm and make up for it on the top end. I had a 950hp Supra that I used as a daily driver for three years, and all I had to do was change the oil. There are guys putting 1,500 hp through stock blocks without any problems." Let's take a moment to reiterate:--we're talking about a 183ci six-banger here.

now THATS hot -rodding

Personally I have loved Mopar engines all my life and I won't change but I give you credit for doing what you want to your car regardless of what people think.

it pumps out 823 hp at the rear wheels with a completely stock short-block. The 183ci Toyota 2JZ-GTE straight-six--originally installed in Mark IV Supras--is legendary for its tremendous power potential and reliability with relatively simple modifications. Although it put out a meager 320 hp from the factory, more than tripling that figure is all too common with simple valvetrain and turbo tweaks. "All you need are some aftermarket valvesprings, titanium retainers, more aggressive camshafts, and a bigger turbo to make 1,000 hp with these motors," explains car owner Ted Nguyen. "A setup like mine doesn't make full boost until 4,000 rpm, but the valvetrain upgrades allow it to rev to 9,000 rpm and make up for it on the top end. I had a 950hp Supra that I used as a daily driver for three years, and all I had to do was change the oil. There are guys putting 1,500 hp through stock blocks without any problems." Let's take a moment to reiterate:--we're talking about a 183ci six-banger here.

now THATS hot -rodding

I am with you it is impressive, no doubt. My point here is the Chevy guys HATE it when it happens to them LOL

Why would the car go up for sale? I plan to keep this car for as long as I'm around. That being said, why would I cheap out on it? Just because I'm spending my money wisely (read: bang for you buck) doesn't mean I'm skimping on any other part of this build. If this car ever gets a Mopar engine, that will be cool too. I'm not opposed to the idea but, as a young college student getting his life together, non bang for your buck motors are out of the question.

I would buy it if it's done right.
Who cares whats under the hood,I have gone to car shows where mopar guys picked apart my 340 Challenger for having the wrong color battery cable and acted like total clowns about it,and thats on a car you you think they would like.
The LS is by far the best drop in engine out there, makes great power and gets very good mileage. I have a friend who is daily driving a 10 sec LS powered camaro, the car runs like a stocker, you could drive it across the country without lifting the hood.
While it would be nice to keep it all mopar you can purcahse a new complete GM aluminium LS3 crate engine that makes 430hp for about same price as mopar performance sells the BARE gen 3 hemi aluinuim hemi block for.

ttp://www.ebay.com/itm/LS376-480-GM-Performance-Crate-Engine-480-HP-19171224-/360080898993?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53d67e7bb1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Perfo...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

You my friend, are doing a great job and a hell of a awesome swap i love it,

When i buy my Dart a few years back i had a ready to swap in built Toyota 2JZ Big custom Turbo inline 6 that produce 1160 WHP in the car it get installed when i sold it, and if it wasnt that i get 9k for it it would end up in my dart instead of the 440 i got right now, and i would be having it already in running condition by now, for real i regret not swaping the 2JZ Toyota in it!

here is the 2JZ picture

be1f9e1f.jpg

Thanks man. I'll definitely keep you guys updated as I progress with the car. I'm gonna stick with the stock truck intake. Changing over to a car intake is expensive since the front accessories all have to be changed out too. I considered going carb, but fuel injection is more efficient and costs the same. Ended up staying fuel injected.

I could be wrong, but the LS2/LS6 intake should bolt on without a problem. It shouldn't affect the the accessory drives. It's usually the water pump and crank pully that determine that. It you run into a space problem up front you can use the Vette pump and crank pulley. It is something like an inch and a half or two inches shorter.

Check these guys for brackets if you need...http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_ps.html

By the way you guys have took a close look at those LS engines? they really resemble a B-RB engine looks like a new renovated version of them!

now THATS hot -rodding

The Toyota 2jz is a fantastic motor. I have a few friends with these motors in their Supra's. Heck, one of em has it in a notchback mustang. They put many a motor to shame. So with that being said, the LS motor is still efficient and going in my ride. :cheers:

-
Back