LSx Valiant Build. Take a look inside...

-
Here are some more pics for you guys. Kind of give you a better idea of the project.

2upweqc.jpg

This is a close up of the motor mounts. To be honest, I thought the k-member was going to have to be cut to drop the motor in. When I arrived at the shop and saw that he had built the mounts to just drop in to the stock k-member I was really happy.

29q0b6e.jpg

Even with the custom oil pan, clearance is super tight. Due to the fact that these cars come with the engine slightly offset to the passengers side made it even tougher to find room. Once the suspension is tightened up though, the arm wont touch the oil pan even at full lock out.

13zshap.jpg

A little bit of "bling." The stock oil pan has a portion that hangs down and covers the rest of the bellhousing. This custom pan had no such provision so the fabricator made a small piece of metal to take it's place and polished it to a mirror finish. I think it looks nice, although no one will ever see it lol

szeo1t.jpg

This is a picture with the manifold mocked on. This is not the manifold that will be going on the car. But the size is nearly the same as the one that will be going on it. The hood closes with no room to spare. Really glad that the engine was set low enough to let me reuse the stock hood. Saving
some $$$.

nxw6z5.jpg

This is the actual intake that will go on the car. Will be outfitted with 8.1 truck injectors so that I can spin this motor to 6500rpm without a hitch.

34qvhua.jpg

As you can see, the power steering really takes up a lot of space. This will make it difficult to put in longtubes. I'm going to convert to manual steering. What do you guys recommend I do for that? Was looking at stock boxes, but given that I plan to daily this thing...I was looking at a flaming river setup. Would like to avoid that if possible (too much $$$). Are stock rebuilt manual boxes reliable and solid performers?

14tqgo.jpg

Plenty of room for longtubes on the passenger side. However, now the torsion bars will be directly in there way. While a set of headers can be cut up and made to wrap around them. I really think a coilover suspension setup would be wise at this point. Currently looking at john dillinger's coilover setups.

34zbujo.jpg

Yes, more blasphemy. A 69 Mustang 9" Believe it or not, according to the previous owner this thing has never been cut up. The spring mounts are even in the original spot according to him! I checked and it looks to be the case. Fits PERFECT.

29q0b6e.jpg

Wow that looks hella close!

34zbujo.jpg

Always wanted to grab and 8.8 from an Exploder, with the discs brakes and limited slip.Comes from all the Fox bodies I played with I quess.

34qvhua.jpg

As you can see, the power steering really takes up a lot of space. This will make it difficult to put in longtubes. I'm going to convert to manual steering. What do you guys recommend I do for that? Was looking at stock boxes, but given that I plan to daily this thing...I was looking at a flaming river setup. Would like to avoid that if possible (too much $$$). Are stock rebuilt manual boxes reliable and solid performers?

Why not go rack and pinion? Wouldnt it take up less space if thats an issue?

There ya go. I posted something helpful...

This is a very cool thread! Keep up the good work.

i was talking to bill at RMS a few months ago and he was thinking about offering mounts to on his alter-k for the LS motors because he had so many calls asking for them.

hell you can get a ls motor (alumn block one) complete, with harness and computer and the OD transmission for around $3k. how can you beat that.. put another $1800 for a totally tunable injection set up from FAST i think it was and $350 camaro headers and your ready to go.. no way your gonna get all that for a new hemi swap that cheap. hell just to get OD in a mopar is 3+ thousand dollars for god sakes.

I have a spare alterkation sitting in the shop...let Bill know that I'll take some LS motor mounts as soon as he makes them.

Why not go rack and pinion? Wouldnt it take up less space if thats an issue?

There ya go. I posted something helpful...

Hadn't even considered that as an option, only because that would be another expense that could be allocated somewhere else on the car.

Thanks for the insight though.

Hadn't even considered that as an option, only because that would be another expense that could be allocated somewhere else on the car.

Thanks for the insight though.

Do a search about it there is a way to do it with your K Frame.

Fits better than my hemi, that's for sure. Though you're going to have to get custom headers and a custom oil pan. What are you doing for headers, BTW?

I commend you for the build- I think it's awesome. I'll be interested to hear how much you end up spending on the oil pan, headers, and motor mounts (I'd guess cheap if you made them, expensive if someone else did?). Hopefully what you spend there doesn't outweigh the money you saved by going with a 5.3 LSx vs a 5.7 hemi...

Originally I had hoped that one of the many productions pans available for the lsx engines would work for this build. Unfortunately, that wasn't able to happen. The custom pan definitely set me back as far as budget is concerned.

If I end up going with the coilover setup, headers will be stock f-body headers with some modifications done to the driver's side header. It seems like the first two tubes would have to be modified to fit around the steering box, other than that they should just drop right in. If i decide to keep the torsion bars (a totally plausible option) I would need to grab a set of block hugging headers (most likely 2010+ headers) and have them fabbed to wrap around the steering box and bars too. Ultimately, this will be a cheaper option. But I like the idea of having a coilover setup as this will be a daily driver car. So we will see what happens in the end. To be frank, I think budget will be the deciding factor.

I too hope that in the end, once all the customization is done I'll be better off. If it doesn't happen, well I guess I've set myself up for an equally strong setup. The plans all along has been to turbocharge this puppy.

For what ever reason people loose their **** when you talk about putting a LS engine in a mopar, even on sites like pro-touring.com when I posted my LS Dart build guys jumped all over me about it. In the end it was just more fun to go back out to the shop and keep doing my own thing and just not bother posting it.
And car shows are another place that seem to bring out the winners, we have a show every Sunday night at a local restaurant, sometimes I'll bring one of my old cars or even throw vintage moto-cross bike in that back of the truck for people to look at.
A few weeks ago I went in my 2012 5.0 mustang, I was there about 5 minutes and some goof starts telling me I'm nor a real car guy because I bought the car and "real" car cars build cars.

I think I remember your thread on there. When I was doing preliminary research for this build I came across that hread. I was hoping that you got farther along in it so that I had a better idea of how to go about this. lol Your thread was one of only a handful (literally likes three) threads I could find on a ls into mopar swap. Hopefully RMS decides to set up some of its customers with ls motor mounts on its beautiful alterkation setup.

Welcome LS1 ACE. I won't blame you if you don't stick around with this kind of rudeness but I hope you do.

Every major car manuacturer has made some good equipment and some POS. They have all compromised quality in ways that have been a major detriment to their customers and failed to take responsibility.

In my view, the belief that one is the greatest and deserving of undying loyalty is just a pet fantasy. The fantasy is fine, but too bad when it becomes something ugly.

I think I remember your thread on there. When I was doing preliminary research for this build I came across that hread. I was hoping that you got farther along in it so that I had a better idea of how to go about this. lol Your thread was one of only a handful (literally likes three) threads I could find on a ls into mopar swap. Hopefully RMS decides to set up some of its customers with ls motor mounts on its beautiful alterkation setup.

It's still coming along, I have picked up most of the parts for it but it is always last on my project list to work on. A few weeks back I got brakes from Kore3, they made custom billet hubs for my Alterkation with corvette rotors and calipers for the front and matching rears for the 9". Just waiting for now a local shop to measure it for wheels and then it will be rolling.
I have talked to Bill at RMS about doing the mounts and think that it might happen one of these days, if not I'll just make some.
Keep posting your project looks great!

Originally I had hoped that one of the many productions pans available for the lsx engines would work for this build. Unfortunately, that wasn't able to happen. The custom pan definitely set me back as far as budget is concerned.

If I end up going with the coilover setup, headers will be stock f-body headers with some modifications done to the driver's side header. It seems like the first two tubes would have to be modified to fit around the steering box, other than that they should just drop right in. If i decide to keep the torsion bars (a totally plausible option) I would need to grab a set of block hugging headers (most likely 2010+ headers) and have them fabbed to wrap around the steering box and bars too. Ultimately, this will be a cheaper option. But I like the idea of having a coilover setup as this will be a daily driver car. So we will see what happens in the end. To be frank, I think budget will be the deciding factor.

I too hope that in the end, once all the customization is done I'll be better off. If it doesn't happen, well I guess I've set myself up for an equally strong setup. The plans all along has been to turbocharge this puppy.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you make work!

So far as budget goes, if you can get things to fit with torsion bars and a factory steering box and k member, that will save you good money. Don't do rack and pinion with the stock k member and spindles- Apparently the geometry doesn't work out so well.

There is no inherent advantage to coil overs- no reason to swap unless you just have to have the space (if saving money is the goal).

That's looking real close to the oil filter lines....

Attachments

• 13zshap.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,257
GM hit a homerun with the LS engine family period. Now you can take your Mopar to LS fest and people will say gee. I'm not a hater but I feel its a waste of a good engine and a waste of a good car all in the same build....what's the point.

ACE,

Thanks for the extra PICS, I am surprised the 4L60 fit without a ton of mods, I thought I was gonna have to destroy my floor to do one (I considered it at one point) so I stuck with my old 727. Looks good. My buddy used to have a 67 valiant in white, I like those cars. Keep up the quality work...

You mentioned manual steering, the flaming river box with a 16:1 ratio is a PITA for a daily in my mind, it's great once moving, but hell in a parking lot. The factory box is 24:1 a bit sluggish, but comfortable for low speeds. You may keep you eyes peeled for a 20:1 Worm gear for a rebuild. MOPAR made them a while back, they can be found here or other places once in a while. I am sure a local rebuild would be doable for cheap, a guy locally would even put a 16:1 worm gear in a box here for half the price of that flaming river unit... check out firmfeel.com for good steering parts and rebuilds to improve handing and stuff.

JOE

ACE,

Thanks for the extra PICS, I am surprised the 4L60 fit without a ton of mods, I thought I was gonna have to destroy my floor to do one (I considered it at one point) so I stuck with my old 727. Looks good. My buddy used to have a 67 valiant in white, I like those cars. Keep up the quality work...

You mentioned manual steering, the flaming river box with a 16:1 ratio is a PITA for a daily in my mind, it's great once moving, but hell in a parking lot. The factory box is 24:1 a bit sluggish, but comfortable for low speeds. You may keep you eyes peeled for a 20:1 Worm gear for a rebuild. MOPAR made them a while back, they can be found here or other places once in a while. I am sure a local rebuild would be doable for cheap, a guy locally would even put a 16:1 worm gear in a box here for half the price of that flaming river unit... check out firmfeel.com for good steering parts and rebuilds to improve handing and stuff.

JOE
If it were me before I spent any $$ on addressing the steering I would be looking at what it will take to address the oil lines as mentioned above. Would hate to see you spend the coin to buy a box, rebuild it or what have you only to find out that the only fix for the oil line issue is a alterk or HEMIDENNY unit.....just saying....

If it were me before I spent any $$ on addressing the steering I would be looking at what it will take to address the oil lines as mentioned above. Would hate to see you spend the coin to buy a box, rebuild it or what have you only to find out that the only fix for the oil line issue is a alterk or HEMIDENNY unit.....just saying....

Xs2.

Can say one thing about the LS platform, it can take some boost. Think it was the Dec 11 Hot Rod that took apart a 4.8, honed it (one hole had a rust stain after honing), loosened up the factory top ring (no new rings) changed the cam and did a bit of head work. 25 pounds of boost and tried to kill it. Over 1200 hp before the factory ignition crapped out.....think it had 70 or so dyno pulls on it at this power level.....

Welcome LS1 ACE. I won't blame you if you don't stick around with this kind of rudeness but I hope you do.

Every major car manuacturer has made some good equipment and some POS. They have all compromised quality in ways that have been a major detriment to their customers and failed to take responsibility.

In my view, the belief that one is the greatest and deserving of undying loyalty is just a pet fantasy. The fantasy is fine, but too bad when it becomes something ugly.

I agree with you post 100 percent. No worries, I'm not easily discouraged by some naysayers. Thanks for the welcome.

It's still coming along, I have picked up most of the parts for it but it is always last on my project list to work on. A few weeks back I got brakes from Kore3, they made custom billet hubs for my Alterkation with corvette rotors and calipers for the front and matching rears for the 9". Just waiting for now a local shop to measure it for wheels and then it will be rolling.
I have talked to Bill at RMS about doing the mounts and think that it might happen one of these days, if not I'll just make some.
Keep posting your project looks great!

Glad to hear the project is coming along, even if it is the last project on the list. Sounds like the brake setup is serious business. As I expressed earlier in the thread, I plan to keep this car for as long as I'm around (was the same with my last pride and enjoy, but unfortunately I wrecked it). That being said, once the car is where I want it to be, the long term goal is to setup the suspension for auto-x, road racing. My last car was setup that way, and to say that it was fun to drive is an understatement. It's just a very costly undertaking. So for now: fast, clean, and on a budget are of prime importance.

-
Back