LTB 1974 Dodge W100

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
Looking at this 1974 Dodge W100 4X4 with 318 and a 4 speed.Haven't looked at it yet what do you think
$(KGrHqJHJEcFEik0+f)5BRLjvdTJ6w~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16RHJGkE9no8hlV(BRLjwdGObw~~60_3.JPG

These are great trucks. The only draw back is that there is zero restoration parts being made for these trucks. Also performance parts for the suspension and steering aren't being made as far as I can tell. Truck magazines aren't any help either, they never do any features on them. I don't know why they don't get any love, but they don't. I would buy if I got a good deal on it, but remember resale is usually not good for these trucks. Seems like only die hard Mopar guys appreciate them. Make sure to check the frame by the steering box, cab mounts for rust, and rust in the cowl.

These are great trucks. The only draw back is that there is zero restoration parts being made for these trucks. Also performance parts for the suspension and steering aren't being made as far as I can tell. Truck magazines aren't any help either, they never do any features on them.

I hate to say it, but that's one of the reason's I bought my '89 F150 to replace my '89 Ramcharger. Parts are easy to come by and cheap. Salvage yards are full 'em of and I can buy just about anything I need body-wise through a ton of catalogs.

That being said, the Ramcharger is going to under go a full boogy frame off rebuild. Just love the truck too much.

Yeah, I love my Dodge trucks from the '70's and '80's, but having the readily available parts is a big plus.

Tnplumber said:
I don't know why they don't get any love, but they don't. I would buy if I got a good deal on it, but remember resale is usually not good for these trucks. Seems like only die hard Mopar guys appreciate them. Make sure to check the frame by the steering box, cab mounts for rust, and rust in the cowl.

The above advice on what to look for is spot on, but also check the wiring harness under the dash for any dark spots that might indicate a short. I've had a few of these trucks want to short out, 'causing fires under the dash.

These are great trucks. The only draw back is that there is zero restoration parts being made for these trucks. Also performance parts for the suspension and steering aren't being made as far as I can tell. Truck magazines aren't any help either, they never do any features on them. I don't know why they don't get any love, but they don't. I would buy if I got a good deal on it, but remember resale is usually not good for these trucks. Seems like only die hard Mopar guys appreciate them. Make sure to check the frame by the steering box, cab mounts for rust, and rust in the cowl.

Looks like everything is done pretty well so no restoration parts needed and I don't need any performance. Thanks for the info on the frame info

hard to tell in that picture but it looks to me that it has a newer year bed on it..

You guys are really good and yes after further looking it does have a newer bed on it but that's fine with me. I wonder if they put the cab on a newer chassis

$T2eC16JHJF8E9nnC6U7kBRLjw,ug8g~~60_3.JPG

You guys are really good and yes after further looking it does have a newer bed on it but that's fine with me. I wonder if they put the cab on a newer chassis

make sure the price comes down because of it too.. make sure its not a pieced together pile of crap.. paint looks questionable to me also.. i guess it all depends on what they want for it and what your gonna use it for. looks like its on a used car lot so i would think they want top dollar for it.

Those are great trucks.
A buddy of mine had one back in the day and it would go anywhere and also got great mileage too, over 20 mpg believe it or not. It was an old Canadian Armed Forces truck, so that may explain it.
What is the asking price?

make sure the price comes down because of it too.. make sure its not a pieced together pile of crap.. paint looks questionable to me also.. i guess it all depends on what they want for it and what your gonna use it for. looks like its on a used car lot so i would think they want top dollar for it.

I'm just looking for a pickup I don't drive much ( live 1 mile from work ) been looking at newer stuff but I just like the old stuff better.They have it on their lot for $6500 and it's on ebay at $3500 with the reserve met.It's about 4 hours from me so if it stays at this price range I may take a stab at it and I like it having the 318 with a 4 speed rather than an automatic.All and all it don't look like a bad deal for what I want in a truck

$3500 is a fair price. $6500 is ridiculous. I daily drove a 77 W200 for five years. Super reliable and did everything I asked of it. The only downsides were the 10mpgs and the fact it rusted away to nothing. Good luck.

IMO $3500 is in the range but I would have to look it over real good before I bought it.. Looks pretty good but they could be covering up some sure enough junk with the fresh paint and all... I Love my 79 but hate the gas mileage.. Would love to see pics of the underside and the engine bay... Check the steering coupler and steering gearbox and the frame where the steering box bolts on.. Some of the later trucks where prone to cracks there but I don't see it much on the older ones.. This truck if right will drive great but if the steering stuff is wore out you cant hold it between the mustard and mayo... Good luck..

$6500 on the lot and $3500 with the reserve met?? Sounds fishy! If the reserve was $3500(give or take) why wouldnt it be on the lot for like $4-4500??

I gave $900 for this 79 model.. 318,auto,factory a/c, 62,000 miles, 95% original barn find.. But this is probably the exception but if you look around you can find these trucks pretty cheap.. As stated earlier not many people like them..

Attachments

• power wagon.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 385
6500 is way high there was a 76 all original w200 at indy yesterday for 6500 with 16000 original miles the bed on the blue one is from an 80,s model dodge the trk looks decent for a max of 3500 patch panels are available thru a couple of vendors ive found [ im workin on a 79 w200 myself] good thing about the older trks there easy to work on no computers to mess with.

that is a prospector isnt it sleeperscamp? beautiful trk i got my 79 for 600 from original owner 58 k on it but it was rode hard and put away wet lots of times had to replce bed drivers fender and trk had never been serviced motor was slap worn out

that is a prospector isnt it sleeperscamp? beautiful trk i got my 79 for 600 from original owner 58 k on it but it was rode hard and put away wet lots of times had to replce bed drivers fender and trk had never been serviced motor was slap worn out

Yes its a Prospector,and thanks for the compliment. I love driving this truck but the MPG just kills me.. It actually drives better than my 2004 Ram..

In my experience the hardest parts to find are : A good tailgate, glove box door, dash surround (the piece above the gauges not surrounding the gauges), door panels , lower grille extension ( piece between front grille and front bumper) , front grille , and the hardest thing is the factory bucket seats... Anytime I find any of these parts I snatch them up for extras.. Patch panels can be bought along with new fenders.. You can also get new carpet, weatherstrip, and most other parts are pretty easy to find in the junk yards..

I'm going to reiterate what was mentioned above:

CHECK THE FRAME AROUND THE STEERING BOX FOR CRACKS!

My '79 150 had the steering box break completely out of the frame while the previous owner was driving it. I KNOW Dodge knew it was a problem because I found a steering box reinforcement bracket on a mid-80's truck at a salvage yard and pilfered it for mine when I repaired it.

Do not skip this, on any Dodge truck.

I love my '74 to death! Id buy it, the bed is off like an '82+. I think you will have less trouble finding parts for this than an Abody from what I have experienced. There is a large thriving community of people who love these trucks but they don't seem to get much love from the restoration catalogues or aftermarket parts suppliers but.as far as aftermarket steering parts, AGR makes an aftermarket steering box that is 13:1 ratio and Energy Suspension makes every single bushing, tie rod end, and centerlink to rebuild the suspension and lots of people have scienced out suspension parts from other trucks that will fit.

This is just from what I am experiencing so far from my truck. I am absolutely on cloud 9. Its a dream to work on with plenty of space under the hood and underneath

Problem spots to look out for: under dash wiring, door bottoms rusting, floorpans, windshield channel (will leak like an A-body), drip rails, steering box coupler and where the box mounts to the rail, evidence of a fire, and cab mounts.

It looks like a great truck for 3500 and if you ever wanna add performance parts, they aren't hard to come by either. Check out Ramchargercentral.com

Bought this one for 1k with just about 100k on the OD. It has a new 360 15k ago and almost everything works electrical wise. It's an '84 W250 D60/D44.

I agree 3500 is probably about right if everything works and it's not all rusty.

Attachments

• downsized_0206131158.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 221
I got a response back from the seller as follows so I'm out but my interest in one has peaked so I'm looking

Looks as if parts of floor pan has been cut out and replaced as well.
We are not experts on these old Dodges, i was not aware of the difference in the bed. It may be best to inspect yourself or order a third party inspection.

-
Back