Lug nut torque

-

moparker

Reaction score
I was told by crager that 60 ftlbs is the proper torque for my wheels. First, is that correct? Next, would using an extension on the torque wrench make the torque greater or decrease it?

I generally run everything down to 80 ft-lbs, but maybe Cragar has something specific going on. Someone will probably chime in on that.

If you're just using a straight extension and not a crow's foot or something, it has no effect on the torque. The force is still acting on the same axis.

Here is the deal. I had two studs strip on me last saturday. I had to dremmel them off with the wheel on. Not fun. So I put new studs in and had the tack welded from the back side of the hub. I bought a pack of four new crager lug nuts at summit racing. I'm putting them on and on nut stripped and another snapped all together. I was using my torque wrench set at 60ftlbs. So after I removed the wheel and broken lug nut sleeve I reset my wrench to 50. I'll check my wrench to see if it's messed up but I doubt it. I t is a craftsman and was given to me brand new as a gift. Hasn't been used much at all. What gives? This has been an huge ordeal over just pilling a wheel off. SBP 7/16 studs.

i had the same problem with my cragar wheels. the sbp 7/16 lug nuts are THIN! i would lower the torque on them a little. i ditched the wheels all together and went with rally wheels.

Here is the deal. I had two studs strip on me last saturday. I had to dremmel them off with the wheel on. Not fun. So I put new studs in and had the tack welded from the back side of the hub. I bought a pack of four new crager lug nuts at summit racing. I'm putting them on and on nut stripped and another snapped all together. I was using my torque wrench set at 60ftlbs. So after I removed the wheel and broken lug nut sleeve I reset my wrench to 50. I'll check my wrench to see if it's messed up but I doubt it. I t is a craftsman and was given to me brand new as a gift. Hasn't been used much at all. What gives? This has been an huge ordeal over just pilling a wheel off. SBP 7/16 studs.

Be sure to to store your craftsman wrench with the torque setting backed off to less than ~20% of it's maximum setting.

What does storing my at lower setting do? I love the look of these wheels but, this is getting really irratating! I'm glad I'm not the only one with these issues. I was starting to think I'm really F'd up or something.

-
Back