Lunati cam inquiry

-
I run a lunati cam in my 70 340 storker engine .my cam is a little bit bigger then the one your looking at. But it is a very good cam. Very nice

Ended up with a Crane about 1/2 step down from that when coupled with 1.6 rockers. What are you looking to do with it?

LOL that is much better than other places you could stick it.....

For my idea of 'hot street', that is about the smallest I would go, IMHO.

Any reason to not go solid? Too much duration? Just curious....

Well, I have a solid here I was going to run, but the powerband is higher than what I want. I suspect it would be a bit grumpy on the street. Consequently, in looking at others, I find pretty much the same scenario.

What's the drive train and gear ratio/tire size?

There are literally thousands of street friendly solid cams. Since when does solid mean NOT street friendly?
Completely agree.

Bruce the Lunati cam your looking at is a decent street cam but it's not going to make the power a solid does and I assume your installing it to gain power. What solid cam do you have? Remember a solid cam is generally equal to a hyd cam that has about 8-10 degrees more duration. When you lash a solid you also lose a little lift so figure that into the equation

If you want the most band for the buck call Jim at Racer Brown up at 410-866-7660 and tell him exactly what you have and exactly what you want to do and he'll grind you a solid that'll make great power and be as street friendly as you could ever imagine. Like I always say, if in doubt let the guy that's been grinding them for 40+ yrs. decide for you

Looking at your hydraulic choices. I would stick with the Lunati over the comp. I run a comp XE274H. 230/236 488/491. It's a great cam, great response. But that first lunati you mention has less duration with better lift. Meaning better street manners with more RPM. I call that a win win. That comp high lift you mention would give you the same benefit. I will say that mine is pretty clackity. So hope you like valve noise while you're working on tunning/timing/etc.

As for solid? There are tonnes of options. Basically keep your duration under 240 and it will be great on the street. 240 and up will have a fairly rough idle and maybe not the "off idle" throttle response I imagine you are after. Lunati does a solid roller with great specs - Voodoo Solid Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 261/267 - Lunati Power. I'm thinking I'm going that in the winter. Not sure if roller is in your budget. But there are some great options out there either way.

Anyone here run this cam in a 360?

Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam & Lifter Kit - Chrysler 273-360 268/276 - Lunati Power

I really was looking for a mechanical flat tappet, but this one keeps bugging me.

That's a great cam. I run the step up from that in the 340 in my duster, the #10200704 -Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam & Lifter Kit - Chrysler 273-360 276/284 - Lunati Power
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 276/284
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 234/242
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .513/.533
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 2200-6400
They aren't kidding about the 3.73's with the #10200704 though. I run 3.55's with 26" tires and you can definitely tell when you take off. Engine is a 1968 340, .060" over, KB 243 hyper pistons, Lunati 10200704 cam, static compression ~9.8:1. Doug's headers, Summit 2.5" dual exhaust with Dynomax welded Ultra-flo's. Heads are 308's, ported and flowing 264 cfm @ .500". It idles down decently, but it only pulls about 9" of vacuum at idle. Probably a little hotter than what I should have done for a car that I use as my daily driver, but it works! :D

There are literally thousands of street friendly solid cams. Since when does solid mean NOT street friendly?

Well, that certainly helps choosing one. I would really like to go solid, but everything I'm seeing the power band is higher than what I think I consider street friendly. Like everyone, I want the best of both worlds, but that is an unrealistic option from everything I see. Power bands in the 3000 to 6500-7000 seems high for the street.

If I could understand the functions better in my head then maybe it would make more sense.

What's the drive train and gear ratio/tire size?

Right now, 360 with 9.5:1 if I calculated correctly, iron U heads with some bowl work and polished exhaust ports 2.02 intake/1.60 exhaust. 904 built for strength, 8 3/4 with 3:55's at the moment. I'm planning 28" tall tire. I do have the option to go 4:56's as I currently have a set, but I'm not 100% sure I want to go that high. Still debating it.

If you want the most band for the buck call Jim at Racer Brown up at 410-866-7660 and tell him exactly what you have and exactly what you want to do and he'll grind you a solid that'll make great power and be as street friendly as you could ever imagine. Like I always say, if in doubt let the guy that's been grinding them for 40+ yrs. decide for you

I actually have called him, and I may again.

Bruce the Lunati cam your looking at is a decent street cam but it's not going to make the power a solid does and I assume your installing it to gain power.

Well, yeah, lol.

What solid cam do you have?

Crower: Mopar Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft - Camshafts

I have an Ultradyne here I was going to use, but after closer inspection, it's a fishing sinker, lol.

Best of both worlds. Catch phrase of the day. This is made even more so due to the wide spread of possible gear ratio.

Let me ask you, what is to high of a starting rpm and a top end rpm?
Right now, what's the max lift the heads can take?

Let me ask you, what is to high of a starting rpm and a top end rpm?

I 'would like' to be in the 2000-2500 to 6500 range.

Right now, what's the max lift the heads can take?

The valve seats have been milled down, I haven't measured, but I would think in the .600 range.

I have been looking at cams in the .500 to .525 range to keep on the safe side.

I like the crower listed in post 22.
Another one that fits your demands is the lunati "factory performance" solid cam. What is the static compression?

-
Back