Lunati vs. Hughes

-

75dartsport

Reaction score
Wanting to change cams in my 360. Right now it has a mopar 292/508 purpleshaft. Wanting to stay about the same size, just wanting the newer technology, also solid or hydraulic. Let me know what you think, this car see's alot of street & track use. Have heard alot of good things about the VooDoo cams. Thanks Rick

Hughes Engines has some great stuff! They know mopars better than most. My friend put one of their cams in a 440 dual quad and likes it. We both also bought rocker gear from them.

I never used a Hughes cam so can't comment on them but have used,2 different voodoo cams and was very happy with the results..

I delt with Dave Hughes and his bro, and always had good results. I was running a stockish 451 six pack in a Bee. With the typical comp cam meant for that set up the car ran mid 13. sec 1/4. I felt it was holding back. Dave set me up with their cam, same centre line. The car idled the same as the other cam. Off the float, the car ran a 13.1 with major traction issues. The thing finally ran consistant 12.9's with NO other changes. I was impressed.
Be warned though. You must be able to answer all his questions, and honestly. No dreaming. Then he can peg the cam best meant for your application.

Well, both have excellent reps and great cams. I see this as a win win deal.

The only thing I didn't like about Huges was a constant plug and bugging me to purchase there stuff in total up front to the point where it seemed they wouldn't sell me just a cam. (We all know get the springs with it on a new cam. And that I was willing to do.)

Comp cams got my money instead.

The MoPar cam is rated @ 248 @ .050
(Preety stout duration that bugger has.)

Haven't run a Hughes cam but I am running a Lunati 60404 (.513/.533) right now and love it. Nice rumble and the torque is unbelievable for a cam of this size. Pulls strong well past 6000.

Here's a past thread concerning the Lunati cams. If you click on the link in the first post you can read from the designer of them.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=25865&highlight=lunati

Well, both have excellent reps and great cams. I see this as a win win deal.

The only thing I didn't like about Huges was a constant plug and bugging me to purchase there stuff in total up front to the point where it seemed they wouldn't sell me just a cam. (We all know get the springs with it on a new cam. And that I was willing to do.)

Comp cams got my money instead.

The MoPar cam is rated @ 248 @ .050
(Preety stout duration that bugger has.)

I understand how that can put you off Fish. But in their defense, they want to bring the best out in their product. Too many guys buy cams thinking it's going to be a cure all. When I was porting heads for guys, I really stressed that they rebuild their heads, and make sure geometry and lift was at an optimum; that a port job alone would not get them where they wanted. Many would-be customers were turned off because they thought I was pushing for more work and money. Just didn't want my product flopping because there was no follow-through.

Wanting to change cams in my 360. Right now it has a mopar 292/508 purpleshaft. Wanting to stay about the same size, just wanting the newer technology, also solid or hydraulic. Let me know what you think, this car see's alot of street & track use. Have heard alot of good things about the VooDoo cams. Thanks Rick

When you say you want to stay the same size do you mean in duration or lift ?

A hi rate of lift cam with .500" lift will be around 220* @.050" which is much smaller. A cam in the 245* @.050" range is going to be in the .575" lift range. That means checking valve clearance.

What is it about the .508" you dont like ?

I understand how that can put you off Fish. But in their defense, they want to bring the best out in their product. Too many guys buy cams thinking it's going to be a cure all. When I was porting heads for guys, I really stressed that they rebuild their heads, and make sure geometry and lift was at an optimum; that a port job alone would not get them where they wanted. Many would-be customers were turned off because they thought I was pushing for more work and money. Just didn't want my product flopping because there was no follow-through.

OOO, I got your point of veiw well and agree on what your saying. Do the job right and once so it works and performs the way it should if not better than what the customer was thinking.

Many people just don't know what a monster porting heads can be and balk at the cost as to much. Sooner or later, seen here as well, someone steps up and says that it was a bear to do and many say they'll not do that again but would rather pay the man to port the head...and be happy about parting with there cash for the work done.

However, I want to clear up what I was saying, just so theres nothing to confuse, I just didn't have the money to purchase there entire valve train line in one shot and it was not good enuff for them so I took my money else where and purchased a cam and lifter kit, then when money allowed, the springs, retainers and locks for the valves I intended to purchase. Once again, when money allowed, valves were purchased. Then weeks later, heads were done.

Peice meal... thats what the wallet afforded then and the pace it allowed.

At the time, the person at the other end was so difficult in this, I just gave up. I felt like he wanted my money over anything else, once it got to the money part.

The tech talk and help while I was on the phone was very good. I will probably return soon for a purchase. Unless I get the same guy and give me your money attitude again. I'll come back and post a ***** or a cheer on what happens.

Alright guys. Where can I find a "Understanding Cams for Dummies" references. All this talk about duration, lifts, spring heights, etc has be baffled. I need to learn this stuff starting from basic.

Anyone???

Alright guys. Where can I find a "Understanding Cams for Dummies" references. All this talk about duration, lifts, spring heights, etc has be baffled. I need to learn this stuff starting from basic.

Anyone???

OK, this is going to sound silly, but you can get a boat load of info right from a catolog. My first catolog was a Comp Cams. They have a nice write up right in the first few pages. Then, as you get to the auto maker your looking to find something on or about, they have a tech /tip section on the in's and outs of that particular auto company. They also take the time to mention the differences in Magnum and Comando heads, big block problems, Difference in V-10 heads.

It's light reading, but helps some.

Theres also books by SA Design and others that can help get you into this and other topics.

A local guy has this site and lots-o-books. If the read is over your head, reeeelax, take some time to ponder, then get back into it. Click here, it's Panic's page;
http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/main.htm

-
Back