Mac vs Pc

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market to buy a laptop for the wife for Xmas.I REALLY wanna buy a mac book but never owning or even paying with one has me scared to pull the trigger.I was wondering if you guys and gals could give me pro's and con's on both units.She really doesn't do anything special with her computer now except surf the web,face book,etc. I will use it for pictures and of course FABO. Thanks

I ran PC up until 3 years ago and I will never go back. Everything is always smooth and long lasting. My wife converted me when she had an older macbook (she had it for 6 years) and it ran better then my 1 year old dell. Its a tough investment with the price tag as you could buy a little bit better then a parts car with the cost, but it is something she could have for years. Plus people will argue that Windows is better but if you feel that way you can always run windows on a mac.

I'm not a Mac user, but in this case probably Mac should be a consideration.

My impression (friends) is a lot less trouble with viruses, spyware, etc than Whambows

I, myself, run Linux. Just "converted" from Unbuntu to the latest version of "Mint."

Frankly, for most causual browsing, simple printing/ office and photo software, Linux might get you going. IF you want to spend the time to set it up

I'm currently using a 13" Mac Book Pro as we speak. I never owned anything Mac, and knew nothing about them. I purchased this macbook brand new from Apple store about 6 months ago. I tell you what, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! It's SO user friendly, everything is easy to figure out, it is VERY fast at everything it does. I've had ZERO problems with it this far. Very high quality, and very nice piece of equipment. My good friend has been a "secret agent" for Geek Squad for 3 years, and he says they are the best laptops available, and he hasn't come across any problems or anything negative toward Apple or their mac books...He was also the one who persuaded me into buy one....:)

Also, you can go into any Apple store and play on them all day long until they close...lol I did that, and it helped me make up my mind on buying it. :)

I'm in the market to buy a laptop for the wife for Xmas.I REALLY wanna buy a mac book but never owning or even paying with one has me scared to pull the trigger.I was wondering if you guys and gals could give me pro's and con's on both units.She really doesn't do anything special with her computer now except surf the web,face book,etc. I will use it for pictures and of course FABO. Thanks

your choice really, but if all your going to be doing is email, web and occasional pictures then why spend 1 grand on a mac plus the learning cure of the software? $3-500 will get similar in a pc even not on sale will get you that and it should be close in speed . Linux can be installed at purchase time if you need to feel safer. it's a little steeper learning curve though, lot's of apps and user forums for support to help you with anything you have problems with.
I have a Mac and use it for graphic's 3d stuff and animations and movies or editing of the family pic's that works great fo me.

I use to do Gainesville.Fl college campus and ocala campus repairs on mac's and pc's before I retired. it seemed to me they broke about the same for both, so mechanically it's a tie. lcd's are lcd's no matter who make em and they die on both machines, motherboards/hard drives/cd's, keyboards ect, mac changed to the intel chipset and that opens it to hackers, Do people write virus programs for the mac? not really. it's not a huge base of unit's out there compared to big/small business users and home users using the PC. but it is growing so it might become an issue later on if the majority of users grow.
your choice again plus the mac book looks great.

when I use the Pc it's for everything else, the only reason being is the software is a whole lot cheaper (some of it's even free that rivals commercial stuff) for a Pc. and the new graphic's packages are getting a lot better so I might be able to switch to the pc totally.
for me I can't justify buying all new software (just for my cad cam package it'd be over 20 grand vs 10 grand for the pc that I already have bought) that I need to be able change to the mac.

Virus? well I use several ways to protect myself. but I do make an image of my drive every month. and all my design work goes onto a nas drive that behind a hardware firewall and I make an image of that once a month staggered from the main image,so it gets backed up every 2 weeks or so. I back up both the pc and the mac. but that's just a holdover for when i was working.

If you don't know a lot about computers:

Macs are more expensive but have a pretty good operating system for someone who knows nothing about computers.

windows is cheaper but if your not good at computers within a year or so you will have a ton of viruses and your computer will be slow as hell.

linux is free and great but you need someone who knows about computers to set it up.

If you do know a lot about computers:

macs are just overpriced for the hardware they come with. The company is just taking advantage of the sudden apple craze/fad that is occurring due to ipods,ipads and iphones. the os is good though.

Windows is fine as long as you have good antivirus and are a bit careful with what you download. much cheaper than macs 99% of the time.

linux is great just in the past when i used it I had issues with some games and programs. but for general computing like web browsing and word documents and spread sheets there are no issues.

Once you go mac, you never go back...

x2!!! I'm a Graphic Designer and have used MACs since the early 1990's. You pay more but you don't have all the problems that go with installations, stability and ease of use. On the few occasions I've sat down with a PC it just seems "clunky". Around our house we have four MacBook or MacBook Pros, a G4 and I use a iMAC everyday. Buy a MAC you will not be sorry.

Mac for sure without a doubt!! I switched out a few years ago and it was the best decision I have ever made. Yes they cost more upfront but no virus's and they operate like a duracell battery, they keep going and going. Software updates are automatic and there are not 5 different versions either.
If you like Virus's buy a PC, if you are a computer genius, buy a PC, if you have hours upon hours upon hours x10 fixing issues and installation problems, buy a PC, if you want your computer to be absolute JUNK in 6 mos to 1 year and need to buy another one, buy a PC.

If you don't know a lot about computers:

Macs are more expensive but have a pretty good operating system for someone who knows nothing about computers.

windows is cheaper but if your not good at computers within a year or so you will have a ton of viruses and your computer will be slow as hell.

linux is free and great but you need someone who knows about computers to set it up.

If you do know a lot about computers:

macs are just overpriced for the hardware they come with. The company is just taking advantage of the sudden apple craze/fad that is occurring due to ipods,ipads and iphones. the os is good though.

Windows is fine as long as you have good antivirus and are a bit careful with what you download. much cheaper than macs 99% of the time.

linux is great just in the past when i used it I had issues with some games and programs. but for general computing like web browsing and word documents and spread sheets there are no issues.

That is funny....... Buy a MAC and even if you are a **** ADDICT you will not get any virus's. Download anything, movies/programs from thepiratebay.org using Vuze or whatever is not a problem. Try that with a windows machine and see what happens.......you will be throwing it in the trash cause it will be junk afterwards. Try watching a movie from Vuze or VLC, you will have to stop, reboot, etc,etc,etc......... There is no need to reboot a mac like the typical windows machine. It NEVER quits working, Period!

This OP's question is like asking should I buy a chevy or a MOPAR?

Macs are expensive but if you are careless you are less likely to get a virus. If you don't need it for work or need other software a mac will work just fine

If you like frustration buy a PC, or just bite the bullet and get a Mac, you won't regret it.

Macs are expensive but if you are careless you are less likely to get a virus. If you don't need it for work or need other software a mac will work just fine

I have several MAC machines. I run Parallels and Windows 7 on a separate 22" screen. Funny cause it runs better on the Mac than it does on a PC. It never quits, no need to reboot either. PC's just are plain nasty and you need to be a Computer Repair person to keep them tuned up and running. Not so with a MAC.

Ubuntu 11.04....Free Linux Operation system....running great on my 2 yr old HP laptop...no virus

Mac all the way! There is no competition!

Attachments

• 6a00e008d8b98f883400e551cc44f28833-800wi.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 560371211773436.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 226
  • cara.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 238
  • elise.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 238
  • wallpaper-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 234
... go PC lol im too poor to buy a macbook. especially when I could buy edelbrock aluminum heads for the same price haha

I've been waiting for all the problems you all are talking about have had pc's since windows 95,xp,and now vista . Just kept my anti virus up to date. I have friends that have gone to Mac about $ 4,000 dollars ago. I will say I'm impressed with them, but for my needs pc works fine, 1 desktop,1 lap top, and 1 IPad witch I love, and I'm cheap LOL

Moe

Ubuntu 11.04....Free Linux Operation system....running great on my 2 yr old HP laptop...no virus

I'd still be running Ubuntu but they went for that "Unity" crap. No. NO. Freekin' NO!!

I've been waiting for all the problems you all are talking about have had pc's since windows 95,xp,and now vista . Just kept my anti virus up to date. I have friends that have gone to Mac about $ 4,000 dollars ago. I will say I'm impressed with them, but for my needs pc works fine, 1 desktop,1 lap top, and 1 IPad witch I love, and I'm cheap LOL

Moe

I know not everyone who has PCs have problems and if that's what someone whats or needs that's cool. $4,000 for a MAC? No way. I have everything possible on mine for my business and it didn't even hit $2,500 and for my kids who are college age and use MacBook Pros they were around $1700.00 max.

Apple over PC any day of the week.

I have owned MACs since 1990.

My wife buys 3 PCs during the time I own 1 Mac computer.

Our corporate art department is all Mac.

However I am forced to use a PC at work, my productivity stinks compared to what I can do on my MAC at home...but my boss doesn't care since I am salary so all that overtime I have to work to make up for sorry @$$ PC means nothing to him.

Our IT guy always tells me how great these PCs are...just a good as an Apple...I am sorry but he is not stuck on a garbage PC 60 hours a week.

When I get my review in the next couple of weeks...I will again lobby for a MAC.

Also talk to a PC person and a MAC person...and see who is really passionate about their computer...I bet it won't be the PC person.

Paul

I guess it all depends on the use. My mom has a Mac notebook she uses for school, and it sure is nice. Very reliable. I don't have to go clean it out every couple weeks like when she had a windows rig.
For myself I would never buy a new computer just to browse the internet and play old games. Too many people are getting rid of perfectly good PC's. It's like building with Legos. Mix and match the best stuff and the leftovers go the the recycler.

Thanks everyone for the input,just spoke with a apple rep for over an hour about my dilemma and i feel much better....along with the discounts he keep throwing at me I've made my decision and I'm going APPLE mac book pro 15'':cheers::cheers: hope I'm making the right decision!

-
Back