Machine Shop in my area

-

FDD1964

Reaction score
Looking for a good machine shop in the great Detroit area, I live north of the city and appears I live in a Chevy area when checking websites. Took the 340 apart and has a broken piston ring that scored the cylinder wall. Figured I would post here and hopefully someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Have a picture of the gouge?

I had one that's vertical about 2.5 inches down the bore and about .750 long, I'm running it... the micro leakage doesn't bother me.
Horizontal is a problem however.
Sleeve it. The shops mentioned are all top notch, price wise too. I would think any shop in your neck of the woods can sleeve a block.

The gouge is the length of the cylinder wall and you can catch your finger nail on it. It's standard bore now, I figured getting it bored 30 over would take care of it.
I will reach out to the shops mentioned in the thread, thanks and much appreciated!

Cylinder wall.jpg

I have used Best Machine for two complete block preps, one pair of new aluminum heads purchased bare and prepped, one pair of new cast iron heads prepped, and one pair of used aluminum heads refurbished. Only have good things to say about them. They do everything the way we agree upon initially. They tell me up front if I ask for something stupid they won’t do. And the quality of machine work, both block and heads, is excellent.

Koffels place in Commerce was tasked with measuring for a crank grind to set clearances. Gave all my bearings back unopened and rods were at .0035” and mains at .0025” bearing clearance on a 360 crank for a street build. I had specifically asked for .002” max on both. Otherwise, nice guy.

I have used best machine in the past. Fine people.
I now use Valley performance in Ionia. Mostly Mopar shop, great attention to detail, very fair pricing.
Highly recommend them. Highly.

PM me if you want more info

-
Back