Machine shop

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
The block and crank are finally at the machine shop!!!:cheers: The said about 4 months, they have a pile of motors waiting!! Man, this is gonna put a dent in my wallet!

The block and crank are finally at the machine shop!!!:cheers: The said about 4 months, they have a pile of motors waiting!! Man, this is gonna put a dent in my wallet!

Start saving your money NOW! It will be here before you know it.
Matt

I'm happy that you're happy, but any shop I took my parts to, if I didn't have it back in a week, I'd bring it somewhere else.

George

Send the motor to bobby joseph in dallas georgia and have it done right away,the amount for the shipping would be worth it,to have it back in a few weeks,mrmopartech

Dunno if hes still going, one of the best machinists around here, Rick Johnston (multiple stock/ss record holder), used to consistantly have a 6 month waiting list. Guess it depends on what you want.

Springtime is the busy season at machine shops as EVERYONE is gearing up for the new season and/or have their income tax refunds in their hands ready to finance the new project.

Some of the machine shops around here charge according to how fast you want it done. Faster completion time=more money. I dropped mine off at the machine shop in November, and picked it up in March. I told them "no rush" as this made extra room in my small garage for the winter, plus it saved me some money. I could of had it in a week or two, but it would have cost a little extra.

I used the same princple when I dropped my GTS off at the body shop. They had the shell for 9 months, but it saved me $1500 as opposed to having it done in one month. It all depends upon the timing.

We have a local shop around here that NEVER has a waiting list. Some of the things they have done that I have personally found/run across. A crank with the last throw .013 short, guides in a BB chevy pressed in upside down(they are tapered, the motor wouldnt turn over cause one cylinder filled with water) another BB chevy, knocked the head off an intake valve at high rpm, the pieces went through the next 4 cylinders in the firing order, all the intakes were fitted too tight in the guides, the first time the motor started making power, the valve seized in the guide.
Whats funny is, THIS machine shop is probably the most popular with the cruise night crowd. They are cheap, fast, easy to deal with. Anybody from my area looking for fast machine work, email me off board, I' ll give you thier number.
Personally, when I pick a shop to do my machining, speed is at the very bottom of my list of priorities, but thats just me.

The irony about machine shops is, usually its the guys who can least afford to who use the iffy ones that end up using them. An experienced builder with good measuring equipment is gonna catch most of the f-ups before he assembles the motor. Its the green guys who dont check this stuff who usually use the cut-rate chop shops because, they dont have the experience to know the difference between the good shops & the not so good, so they dont see why they should pay more or wait longer for top-notch work. Even after they blow something up due to faulty machine work, they dont have enough know-how to analyze what caused it in the first place, usually end up blaming the parts rather than the machine work. There are 10 hack shops out there for every good one. Some of the junk I have seen over the years would curl your hair.

The shop I use is one of the oldest around here, used by most of the circle track guys. They have done great work in the past for me. I was surprised by the amount of repair/rebuilding they are doing. I guess the economy is forcing people to keep the crate running! I still have the trans and clutch to set up. The car has a 318 I built about 8 years ago and a good rebuilt 727 so I can enjoy it this summer and do the replacement next fall and winter. But I do want to fire up that 360!!!

Four months when dropping it off in March/April is about normal for a good busy performance shop.

-
Back