Magazine Reality Check

-

Wheel Chock

Reaction score
I am a current subscriber to 11 automotive magazines. There, I've admitted it, I'm an addict! My tastes are ecclectic; the list includes: Mopar Action, Popular Hot Rodding, Hot Rod, Car Craft, Street Rodder, Rod & Custom, Muscle Car Review, Muscle Machines, JP, Grass Roots Motorsports and Mopar Muscle, I also buy Hot Rod Deluxe on the news stand. The reason I bring this up now is that my latest issue of Mopar Muscle came with an overlay on the cover announcing that this was my LAST ISSUE!! and warning of the dire consequences if I failed to renew immediately!
Their timing could not have been better, economic realities and constraints on my time require that I analyze all of my on-going expenses and make the best use of what time I have available (no, I'm not dying in the near future, that I know of, but I am 57). With that in mind, I went over my recent issues of Mopar Muscle and unfortunately for them, came to the conclusion that I could in fact live without their magazine. Like many of you, Iam not in the position to pull out the platinum card every time I see a new product that strikes my fancy and instead have to figure out how to achieve my automotive desires at the least possible cost and make up for my lack of cash with with planning and sweat. What I appreciate most in a magazine is in depth hands-on tech, thought provoking feature articles that not only show interesting subjects, but provide insight into the motivations of the owner/builder. Unfortuntely MM's idea of a tech article is a picture of Dave Young grimacing as he removes a 3rd member to be relaced with the contents of the latest UPS box from Randy's. The April issue had a cover blurb shouting, 15 PROVEN POWER COMBOS, the "article" consisted of a lead shot of Dave grimacing followed by 5 pages of pictures of pretty crate engines and Dave listing the many reasons why I should pull out the gold card. As an added bonus they devoted 4 pages to group photos of smiling engine builders in the Amsoil/MM engine challenge. Any decent builder with unlimited resources can build a mega HP dyno bomb. I know, they've done features on several members' cars (congratulations), but for the most part, there feature car articles are dull. I appreciate the efforts of Randy Bolig to bring a little reality to MM, but he's wasting his time, MM emphasizes pretty pictures over content. Bye bye Mopar Muscle, I will miss Steve Dulcich's
Performance Clinic, but since he's free lance, I can read his work elsewhere.
From now on each of my magazines will be subjected to the same analysis of the value that they bring to my life before they are renewed. (Mopar Collector's Guide bit the dust last year)

BTW, don't think that this means my addiction is cured, I just signed up for a year of Classic Motosports.

Everytime I don't renew I end up buy a couple issue in the store at full price. That ends up being close to the discounted subscription price so for me it's a no win situation.

Regarding Hot Rod and Car Craft my thoughts are they have both stepped it up recently. More variety of cars and better stories that don't seem so closely related to advertisers.

I let all my mopar magazines expire. They don't

interest me anymore. Same old thing in them. Hell they even feature the same car at times. The mopar mags are just new part release flyers. It's all they are really good for any more. Even then you better do your homework because they will only feature parts from advertisers so there's no chance if getting honest feedback. On top of it all I can get better detailed information with specific pictures from the internet for any tech question I may have.

I still get car craft, muscle machines , and automotive enthusiasts. I like seeing the variety of makes and models.

You can get any pics or info you need here for FREE!!LOL.I have a couple mag scrips just so I have something to read at work,plus I got a couple free T-shirts when signing up.LOL:bball:

I don't subscribe to a single one.

I only get Hemmings Muscle Machines and Hot Rod.

Haven't had Mopar Muscle in a few years....haven't missed it either

For the past 10 years or so, the only time I'll buy a magazine is when I'm traveling. Something to pass the time at the airport or plane.

I love having something to hold in my hand like that, but everything really is available online if you search deep enough.

I'm down to one and it is on the short list.

The reasoning behind my addiction is this; every morning I get up at 5am, but I don't leave for work until 6:30. I have always been an avid reader and it is a great source of relaxation for me. After I shower and shave, I pour a cup of coffee and sit down to read for about an hour before leaving for work, this is my time. I enjoy reading magazines; some provide me with ideas or the seeds for ideas for my own project. Others provide information or insights into what others are doing on their projects. All offer me relaxation and escape from problems at work and at home. I am an information addict, I just expect value for my dollar.

i have had a subscription to mopar action since i was 8... lol

and sadly enough im not renewing once its up this time...

the wealth of knowledge that used to be in these mags is now gone...

i learned so much as a kid from those 90's mags... but now, they cant even cover MOPARS AT THE STRIP! mentioned the street class that BadAss71 won but nothing other than that...

I think I woulda kept mopar muscle and aced the chevy infested rags. like hot rod and car craft....just my opinion tho.

i learned so much as a kid from those 90's mags.

i think a lot of us did. they were the place to get tech info back then.. once the internet took off and all the mopar forums came to life you no longer needed the magazines.. you can get more detailed information online with the pics you need and you get it all a lot faster then a magazine can do.

cost to much compared to others.also not enough old school tech anymore for me..:burnout:

Hey I am still looking for Auto Buff magazine,I use to buy them in the 80's. :bounce:

Cliff,my buddy head porter still has a dozen issues of Autobuff.My guilty pleasure! Otherwise,Car Craft(minus ls yahoo Jeff Smith!),Hot Rod, and Mopar Action.Hell, I live here.It is nice to talk to like minded people that have hands on mopar experience.My 2 cents,thanks.

I dropped MM 2 yrs. ago due to the exact reasons you mentioned, lrazor. It's sad but IMO there isn't a really good dedicated Mopar magazine anymore. Like Moparkid, I learned a lot from magazines. All throughout the 80's I got at least 3 a month.

The reasoning behind my addiction is this; every morning I get up at 5am, but I don't leave for work until 6:30. I have always been an avid reader and it is a great source of relaxation for me. After I shower and shave, I pour a cup of coffee and sit down to read for about an hour before leaving for work, this is my time. I enjoy reading magazines; some provide me with ideas or the seeds for ideas for my own project. Others provide information or insights into what others are doing on their projects. All offer me relaxation and escape from problems at work and at home. I am an information addict, I just expect value for my dollar.

I agree!
I'm so broke now no subs. I only get 1 or 2 mags a year. ABB buys them for me on birthday and Christmas. I use them for parts supply numbers.

LOL! I prefer the free mag in publication right here on FABO.
It's called
CAR HUNT! FABOZENE:cool:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=92635

It covers different car discoveries of FABO members. It also accepts submissions from readers right here on FABO! LOL..:D
Hooked on FABO!!:cheers:

Have a great day today lrazor!
John:cool:

I think I woulda kept mopar muscle and aced the chevy infested rags. like hot rod and car craft....just my opinion tho.

I hope that you can see from the list of mags that I subscribe to, that my selections are not based on Mopar only content, just how interesting can another restored, numbers matching, all paint daubs replicated, E or B body be? I learn a lot more from a well written Brand X or non-brand specific tech article than from reading another description of a restored A12 Road Runner (my favorite car, BTW). I just spent a 5 day weekend working on the re-invention of my 1947 Flat Fender Jeep, an old-school rock crawler that I 1st built over 20 years ago. Time had passed it by and I had pretty much quit driving it or getting out on the trail. I came very close to selling it, but after spending enough time reading magazines, I came up with a plan and now I'm pretty far along on the project. The source of my inspiration? Articles in Street Rodder, Rod & Custom and Hot Rod. It'll be different, but still trail capable.

long cancelled the MM mag, I even cancelled my Mopar Muscle forum membership when I found out the same knuckle heads from S't'uper Chevy' were moderating it all....wtf?

There nothing new but parts anymore, really expensive parts might I add...

Mopar Muscle - Mopar Collectors Guide - Motortrend - Car and Driver - National Dragster - Car Craft - Hot Rod - Four Wheeler - Off-Road

Only 9 for me;)

I used to like Hemmings but when they did away with the 35 years ago ads, FABO an eBay came along it became worthless. I also liked the personal pages where people shared some short stories that was always in the first few pages. I had a 1927 Buick story published there once but the last issue I looked at I think that section was missing also. From then on I saved the trees with no more subscriptions.

-
Back