magnum cylinder heads redux

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
hi y"all

i know i posted a thread about using the magnum cylinder heads on the older LA engines, its a good design from the chambers and flow standpoint, but as members of the site have said in numbers the casting doesnt hold up very well due to cracking in the water jackets. well i was surfing on my smart phone last night looking for "new" magnum heads since i still want to do this conversion. what i found was a company called enginequest or A&A specialty midwest. they make circle track parts including a new iron cast magnum head. they improved the port design a bit for better flow over the stock magnum heads, beefed up the casting where they have a tendency to crack, and come fully machined and ready for your valves.

i am sure you could also port them, but in an article they have linked to their site popular hot rodding built an engine quest magnum headed older LA 318 and made it all bolt on with no port matching or any other gee whiz machining, and it made 402HP and 341 FT LBS of torque at 6,200 RPM.

pop hot rodding also ported a different set of these same aftermarket heads, and installed larger than stock 1.92 valves to a 2.03 diameter intake sized valve with the ported heads and oversized intake valves and nothing else changed the same engine made 425 HP and 360 FT LBS of torque at 6,200 RPM.

if the stock dodge cast magnums are junque from the cracking standpoint, they can at least give up their rockers and pedestals and misc pieces to a set of these engine quest heads.

engine quest sells these heads in 2 different types for those of you who are interested

the CH318A $399 each cylinder head is machined with a standard magnum intake bolt thread pattern and angle so you will have to use a magnum compatible 4BBl intake

the CH318B $399 each same casting but is machined with the early pre magnum intake manifold bolt pattern and angle, so if you have an earlier aluminum intake it will work on these.

i have found on ebay a magnum 4 BBL aluminum dual plane intake designed for the magnum heads called a crosswind. i dunno how good it is, but i personally think the way the magnum intakes bolt to the heads seals better than the earlier design as it forces the intake down to wedge against the heads causing the gasket to seal tighter. i dont think chrysler would have went this direction on the magnums for bolting the intakes on if it wasnt a better idea. the 3rd gen chevy 350s pre vortec went this direction in the 80s, and i believe fords windsor series of engines also had their intakes bolted this way from the 1960s.

several people have also confirmed what i also thought which was your original 5 bolt valve covers will fit the 10 bolt magnum heads. chrysler kept the same shape on the heads for the valve covers, and left the 5 original bolt holes/ bosses in the pre magnum stock locations, but added 5 more equally spaced holes/ bosses for a later style magnum 10 bolt valve. use 5 bolt valve cover gaskets, and your original valve covers.

you will need to use the magnum head bolts, but standard LA pre magnum headgaskets can be used. you will have to use flat tappets, and hollow pushrods for the rocker arm oiling, with the stock non adjustable magnum rockers the comp cam hollow pushrods (#7960)will work according to the PHR article.

this is about all i got on this. hope this helps someone out looking to update their LA V8 now i gotta wonder with an essentially blueprinted and balanced bottom end and KB popups on the rodney daingerfield of mopar V8s can make 402 as a bolt together setup what if care was taken by port matching, porting etc, and making the 318 into a 390 stroker. how much power then?

i will prob just go with the 402 HPcombination for my cuda as its light enough, and i will be making it into a handling car and not a drag stripper.

The newer, vertical bolt design is a well-known step backwards in engine sealing, actually, it forces the intake manifold in like a wedge between the heads if overtorqued, rocking them outward and causing coolant leaks at the ends. You should check out some forums about vehicles that use the magnum heads stock (Ram forums for example). The reason they're straight down is for assembly dynamics - one machine can hold the intake and all the bolt heads and tighten them at once, versus one-machine per bank with the canted LA design. That's a 0.002c savings per truck! Big money.

If you're buying new and putting something together that uses a carb, think hard about getting the "old style" drilled heads and use one of the THOUSANDS of ultra cheap after market LA intake manifolds that are out there instead of using one of the three (edelbrock, m1, and crosswind) manifolds that are out there for magnum heads.

I stuck with the edelbrock/late drilling and paid my money, but have spent many minutes kicking myself when looking at a swap meet or Craigslist $50 intake manifold that would have been "just as good".

from your post i presume you are running magnum heads on your engine? how do you like them other than the intake manifold issue you mentioned? Also checked on a crosswind intake $179 new on evilbay, and it has dual bolt patterns cast in it for magnum or pre magnum heads. A lot better price than an edelbrock performer rpm airgap at $379 new. Not sure how good the quality is ,or if its chinese made stuff.

LMK
matt

Also checked on a crosswind intake $179 new on evilbay, and it has dual bolt patterns cast in it for magnum or pre magnum heads. A lot better price than an edelbrock performer rpm airgap at $379 new. Not sure how good the quality is ,or if its chinese made stuff.

LMK
matt

Yes, it's a Chinese copy of the RPM Air Gap manifold that is cast for both types of heads. Some people swear by it, some people say it is junk. I have NEVER heard anyone say anything bad about the fitment of an Edelbrock intake. I'll let you guess which one is on my car...

1 correction to the OE post!

You said you must use a flat tappet lifter which is not correctly word. It should say;

You must use a oil through capable lifter for your style cam. In example, a typical Hyd. cam will not use the standard MoPar lifter but a old style AMC lifter to allow a hollow pushrod to run oil up to lube the rockers.

ROOKIES TO THIS SWAP, PAY ATTENTION HERE

The Magnum engines do not oil the rockers and valve train like the older engines do. Which is through a oil passage drilled in the block and through the head.
The Magnum blocks are passage-less and the Magnum heads are also devoid of this passage.

YOU MUST USE A HOLLOW PUSHROD TO OIL MAGNUM HEADS!

AMC LIFTERS WILL ALLOW YOU TO USE HOLLOW PUSHRODS TO OIL THE HEAD AND VALVE TRAIN. AND THERE IS NO FITMENT ISSUE WHEN YOU USE AMC TAPPETS (lifters)

I have a Mopar M-1 intake on my Magnum head 340. I used it because it has the angled bypass hose nipple, just like a LA intake. Got it new for $150.00 on Ebay five years ago. I won't use a crosswinds intake because anything that I bought Made in China was junk. If I had to do over again I would have gotten the heads drilled for the LA bolt pattern.

I tried to use my 273 commando valve covers but had a hard time to get them to stop leaking. They bolt on but the shape of the heads sealing surface is not the same shape as the LA's valve cover gasket. I used RTV in the ends but every time I would remove a valve cover I had a leak. I bought the black wrinkle Magnum 10 bolt covers, no more leaks.

Edelbrock has some really cool "signature" finned valve covers for the magnum heads now. Not cheap but look awesome.

Everything Apple is made in China is that all junk? China makes whatever to designers call for. They can make junk they can make the best products in the world. Just because something is 1/2 the price a made in the us part is doesn't mean it has less quality. The reduced cost of doing business in China is what makes it cost less not the materials or manufacturing process.

The reduced cost of doing business in China is what makes it cost less not the materials or manufacturing process.

Mostly right. They'll do it with crap **** parts/metal/plastics if ya let them or spec less than excellent.
I have friend's and family doing biz in a very similar way and manor as you talk about. But you are right about 1 thing,100%!!!!

You ask them to do a quality and superior item,
well by GOD they'll do it !!!!!!!!!

I have seen a lot of poor intakes from China. Not as many quality parts. Core shift was bad on a few intakes to the point of returning it. Not all of them were like this. Some were very good.

hi y'all

yep forgot about the AMC lifters having to be used. i did read about using them somewhere else tho. i checked out the edelbrock finned valve covers, and they are really tasty looking, another option is chroming a set of stock magnum valve covers. might be cheaper than the pricey edelbrocks. it would be nice to see a stamped steel or cast aluminum smooth top sets of magnum valve covers, and i will prob be going with the pre magnum intake bolt style heads.

glad i opened this thread, i found out about the edelbrock valve covers, and got reminded of the AMC lifters, i already knew about the hollow pushrods for the rockers. i believe jezel makes a shaft rocker setup for the magnum heads too.

thanks to all for the advice
matt

Couldn't sleep and got to thinking. I have a '73 340 I'd like to put in a '70-'71 Dart, or '67-'69 Barracuda. I was thinking of doing the Magnum head swap with the Hughs/Edelbrock FI Airgap intake, and components from a 5.9 Magnum for fuel injection, including a custom programmed PCM. If i ever get arround to doing it, I'd like to do something like what my 340 has now. 9:1 comp, 284/484 MP cam, was a Holley 3310-2, hooker small headers...something like that. Roughly 9.5:1 comp, aluminum Magnum heads ( maybe even the Eddies ) the step or two up injectors, about a 750 CFM throttle body, and that MP cam. How do y'all think that wold perform, with say a 2800-3200 converter and 3.55 gears on 29" tires? Say, about 3200 lbs on the line?

,j

hi y'all

yep forgot about the AMC lifters having to be used. i did read about using them somewhere else tho. i checked out the edelbrock finned valve covers, and they are really tasty looking, another option is chroming a set of stock magnum valve covers. might be cheaper than the pricey edelbrocks. it would be nice to see a stamped steel or cast aluminum smooth top sets of magnum valve covers, and i will prob be going with the pre magnum intake bolt style heads.

glad i opened this thread, i found out about the edelbrock valve covers, and got reminded of the AMC lifters, i already knew about the hollow pushrods for the rockers. i believe jezel makes a shaft rocker setup for the magnum heads too.

matt

LA valve covers do fit on Magnum heads, I have about 6,000 miles on my 360 LA/Magnum "hybrid" with vintage M/T cast valve covers and regular cork gaskets and have not had a single drop of oil leak out...

The EQ castings are great cylinder heads. They also have a casting that has the LA intake bolt pattern. Part # CH318B.

That's what I use on my car. Granted its a Magnum engine, but with an LA air gap, 218/222 cam, 1-5/8 headers, 2.5 exhaust and super turbo mufflers I made well over 300 rwhp. According to Hughes and others, the EQ heads actually outflow the aluminum edelbrock heads.

LA Valve covers do fit Magnum heads. I am partial to the Moroso silicone valve cover gaskets myself...

IMG_1010.jpg

The LA intakes seal fine, and the good ones way outperform the Magnum intakes. The Magnum intakes from edelbrock have other oddball issues as well....

Water-Inlet_Raw-1024x955.jpg

The Crosswind intake is not a performance piece. Anyone who has ever compared a Crosswind to an Edelbrock intake side to side (I have) does not doubt the inferior quality of the Crosswind. Your car will run with the Crosswind on it. Your car will run faster with an Edelbrock intake on it.

I've got more info about EQ castings, Magnums, etc here:

http://www.magnumswap.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Water-Inlet_Raw-1024x955.jpg

I am working on a section about Magnum heads on LA engines as we speak.

Couldn't sleep and got to thinking. I have a '73 340 I'd like to put in a '70-'71 Dart, or '67-'69 Barracuda. I was thinking of doing the Magnum head swap with the Hughs/Edelbrock FI Airgap intake, and components from a 5.9 Magnum for fuel injection, including a custom programmed PCM. If i ever get arround to doing it, I'd like to do something like what my 340 has now. 9:1 comp, 284/484 MP cam, was a Holley 3310-2, hooker small headers...something like that. Roughly 9.5:1 comp, aluminum Magnum heads ( maybe even the Eddies ) the step or two up injectors, about a 750 CFM throttle body, and that MP cam. How do y'all think that wold perform, with say a 2800-3200 converter and 3.55 gears on 29" tires? Say, about 3200 lbs on the line?

,j

The stock Dodge fuel injection is NOT a performance setup. You're much better off with Megasquirt or one of the new systems that is a bolt on replacement for a carb like FAST or Holley's upcoming Terminator EFI.

29" tires and 3.55 gears don't mix. Optimistically I would guess Low 13s, high 12s?

i believe jezel makes a shaft rocker setup for the magnum heads too.

matt

Unless you're going completely insane you don't need the jesels. I spun my stock Magnum rockers to 6000+ many times without incident. I recently upgraded to Harland Sharps, but didn't see any ET.

,j

you have to keep in mind that the cam will spec at .516 lift when the 1.6 rocker ratio is factored in which might not be the best choice for your combo....

I'm running magnum heads on a 360 and have a 268/272 .450/.455, so with the 1.6's it specs at .480/.485 lift. in this configuration, it's basically a little cam with big cam syndrome and the split pattern makes it very streetable with loads of vacuum. it's just a torque monster and pulls hard from way down low to beyond 6 grand all day long and shreds the tires at will with 3.55's, mind you I've got 26" tires so I don't know how 29's would affect things. as it is though, I haven't hit the track yet because I don't have frame connectors or drag radials. I figured until I get those, hitting the track is likely pointless based on the way I spin on the street. hoping for something in the 12's once I finally hit the track.

Competition Products has the CH318B bare castings for 309 apiece,with 34 in shipping.Hughes wanted the same price productwise,wanted 106 in shipping.That's just silly.

Competition Products has the CH318B bare castings for 309 apiece,with 34 in shipping.Hughes wanted the same price productwise,wanted 106 in shipping.That's just silly.
well,you know what you must do partsman, eliminate the middleman!lol you could use 75.00 elswhere .damn stupid get rich quick shipping prices....:eek:ops:

hey they used those heads in circletrack cars right?see where i'm going....:D

Yes ,I do.....Why I PMed you last night.BTW,check out SIvalves,out of Simi Valley,when looking for new valves.Seen this stuff live with 300 spray hits,on small blocks.21-4n.The hot rod stuff,was 11 bucks each for the Magnum stuff.

BTW,feeling 60's tonight.Byrds greatest hits....

:thumblef:
Yes ,I do.....Why I PMed you last night.BTW,check out SIvalves,out of Simi Valley,when looking for new valves.Seen this stuff live with 300 spray hits,on small blocks.21-4n.The hot rod stuff,was 11 bucks each for the Magnum stuff.

BTW,feeling 60's tonight.Byrds greatest hits....
lol stones---miss you

-
Back