magnum intake waterneck

-

73dodge

Reaction score
does anyone know about the waterneck on the magnum intakes? as far as i know you can't use the LA intake waterneck. Where can i get the right one for the magnum intake?

Probably a local parts store if you tell them you have a ~1994 ram with a 5.9l. It shouldddd work. You'll have to take a look at it in person.

I just looked up a 94 5.9 water outlet (and a few other years, including Jeeps), and it's really tall, like it's supposed to clear an AC pump or something. Do we actually know that the LA outlet (later, smaller one) won't fit? Parts America's website shows the same gasket part numbers on the Magnum engines and 1980 360s in trucks.

The usual problem with them is the gasket leak. I put a little
silicone on both sides of the new gasket. Not much. Just a
skim coat. No one has come back yet. Also watch out for the
bottom plate on the under side of the intake blows out. Causing
the engine to use oil. You will notice it at highway speeds.
It will really suck oil. Had this problem on our 1999 Dakota.
No problem with the 2000 R/T yet.

Hey!
Seeing as I have a magnum M1 intake and a brand new la waterneck kicking around I went out to the shop and checked. Wont fit without mods. Looks like the holes on the magnum intake are further apart than on the la. Not by much though.

Also looks as if a a guy could simply elongate the holes on the la waterneck a bit and there would be room enough for the bolts to pass through the waterneck to the intakes holes. I would take the waterneck and buzz out the holes with a small die grinder bit.Should work!

I didnt check on the gasket side to see if there was any interference as the waterneck sat nicely.

Does anyone know if the magnums and la's use the same physical size t stat? Makes sence that they do if the gasket # is the same.

I just put an M1 on my 360. It used the late model housing and is does use a diff thermostat from the LA housing. Bought the intake from Summit and they didnt tell of the difference until after I called them as to why the LA housing didnt fit.

The "water outlet" is different for la verses magnum intakes. The problem at the local parts houses is just that. If you look it up under thermostat housing you get nothing. For some reason they renamed it to water outlet. I went through this just recently and without the help of Goody I would still be scratching my head. Water outlet for a 90's 318 or 360 magnum will get you the right part. And definately use a good sealant. My first install leaked with no sealer. I don't think RTV is a good choice for sealant either. I used the indian head stuff.

The same of this intake?
Before and after polish job...

8.jpg

5.JPG

yes, that looks like the same waterneck setup as the edelbrock magnum rpm intake for the blueprint motor. i spoke to mancini racing and was told that it was a different size but they didn't carry that housing. cravin' says the above part he ordered from summit fits so i'll try that one.

ma mopar went to the smaler thermostat before the magnum engines,its a chevy size thermostat sorry to say,and probably a chevy water neck would fit,,and probably work,,i have an old offenhauser in take converted to a blower intake,no room under the blower for a mopar water neck that points straight up,,i use a chevy water neck,same bolt pattern,,
the older LA thermostat housings had the relief in the t housings and the intake was flat,,the chevy is oppisite,, so i had to have the water neck put ina lathe and turned to accept the t stat,,easier then miling the intake,,

but from the intake pic i see on this topic,the intake has the relief cut in it for the t stat,, so im sure a GM water neck will work,plenty of after market water necks with O-RINGS for a no leak seal,,i use an after market aluminum water neck on my early hemi with an O-RING no sealant,,no leak,,,
hope this helps some one

-
Back