Magnum MPG daily driver

-
My Magnum 360 crate yields 17 on the highway with a 5 speed, 3.55 rear and a carb. Local driving 14 to 15.

My 97 1/2 ton 2wd 5 speed with 3.55 gets 17 on a 15 minute highway jaunt, on a daily basis. Verified with ScanGauge II mpg computer.

5.9, with short headers, Magnaflow exhaust, electric fans, ported heads, ported intake, ram air with K&N filter, etc

I bet it gets several more MPG in a lighter, more aerodynamic car, with less rolling weight in wheels and tires.

That's what I was figuring since trucks are so heavy. I'm probably gonna go with the 5.9 after this info whether it's efi or carb. Also I posted a thread in the suspension section on upgrading before the swap cause it was recommended by the company I was looking at motor mounts for. No one posted on it -_- any help from you guys?

My truck was 4950 across the scales in the metal yard. I imagine an A body to be AT LEAST 1,000 pounds less, and that is conservative, probably more like 1,500 lbs. 1,000 is a 20% reduction, 1,500 is a 30% reduction. 20-30% less mass to carry, should equal more MPG, especially since my 360 with all the mods listed lugs in OD at 55 or less. That torque, with 20-30% less mass would work a lot easier moving an A body. My truck is also lowered, stock 17" wheels and tires, and has a tonneau cover, so it is probably a little better aerodynamically then a stock truck, especially a 4x4.

My 17 x 30% increase in MPG = theoretical 22.00 MPG + whatever it might pickup in the aerodynamic department.

Well i think that much mileage be a strech though more it should get.

-
Back