Magnum vs LA oil filter plate

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've done some reading and there apparently is a difference in oil filter plates.
I was attempting to prime engine while on stand and oil puked all around oil filter plate. Of course I noticed about 2 minutes too late lol. I noticed with bolt tightened down, it doesn't tighten down on large round gasket. This is on my 70 340.

20231227_215818.jpg

20231227_215827.jpg

The plate looks offset. Not centered. Try again?

Before you get the plate corectly mounted. I suggest drilling the holes to the next size larger and then putting a hole in between the holes. This is where the oil goes through the plate. It looks like your plate is not mounted centered in the first picture.
But that does not matter since it is the wrong plate.
The 53021053 is for the magnum motors not the LA. No workie on LA.

Last edited:
I know if you have the washers mixed up it will leak like that. I don't remember what order they go in, but there is a specific order. @toolmanmike has posted the diagram before. Maybe he will chime in.

Not sure if this is correct, but after I assembled my new engine with all of the special assembly lubricants I used, I was reluctant to prime until I was ready to fire the engine. I didn't want to "water down" the assembly lube with oil. Right or wrong, those were my thoughts.

I don't think there are washers unless you are using the right angle adapter? Just the large round gasket?
I know if you have the washers mixed up it will leak like that. I don't remember what order they go in, but there is a specific order. @toolmanmike has posted the diagram before. Maybe he will chime in.

I don't think there are washers unless you are using the right angle adapter? Just the large round gasket?
That might be what I'm thinking about. I cannot remember. I thought there were washers there, too. I may be wrong.

I have photos on my laptop but it's not with me now. The photos I have are fore the 90° adapter though

I was wondering same thing. I've got lots more assembly lube.
Not sure if this is correct, but after I assembled my new engine with all of the special assembly lubricants I used, I was reluctant to prime until I was ready to fire the engine. I didn't want to "water down" the assembly lube with oil. Right or wrong, those were my thoughts.

Magnum plates are flatter than LA plates and will not seal in the manner you described.
Either get an LA plate, or if you feel really adventurous, use a double outer gasket... or not.

I know the answer. At the end of the roller cam LA's, 1991 318 and 360 Chrysler changed the threaded boss on the block-it was shortened by 0.250" and both the plate and adapter were modified accordingly. This was called the new corporate oil filter. so all of the Magnums were the new style, I assume. i had never seen anything posted about this subject on here. Hope it helps out.

Steve, Are you not going to be using a right angle filter adaptor for the actual application? Is this regular filter plate just so you can prime the engine on the stand? If this is what you have going on, Put the 90 adaptor on and never mind that plate thing.

Well how bout that? Learn sumffin new everyday.

Thanks, I saw that thread last night when searching. Thanks! I have a RA adapter coming, so don't think a plate is used ?
Here is a previous thread. Post 14 I showed a Magnum plate on an LA engine with no gaskets. You can see the plate is resting on the center boss. That is what keeps it from sealing. Canton and Summit both have an aluminum plate with o-ring.
Magnum oil filter block plate - source?

Thanks Graham! Yes Troy has a RA and gaskets coming my way. I just figured I would prime while waiting for RA. Also discovered I need a dipstick tube lol. Lotsa dipsticks tho...
Steve, Are you not going to be using a right angle filter adaptor for the actual application? Is this regular filter plate just so you can prime the engine on the stand? If this is what you have going on, Put the 90 adaptor on and never mind that plate thing.

At least you know what the deal be now. lol

Thanks, I saw that thread last night when searching. Thanks! I have a RA adapter coming, so don't think a plate is used ?
Correct. One or the other, not both.
I have Doug’s D453 headers with a straight filter setup. No right angle on mine. Some headers supposedly need the right angle and some do not.

This could also be a sign of a stuck over pressure relief valve in the oil pump and not a gasket issue.
If the new plate does not cure it, I would look there.

-
Back