main cap tightening sequence?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
way back I saw something about tightening them in order. Other than the middle #3 cap alignment procedure is there anything that needs to be done about this? thank you for your time. RR

Start in the middle alternate left and right out to the ends. Slightly rocking the crank after each main to make sure no tight spots as you go.

My particular approach is to bring them up to 30 ft lbs each, then bring them up to 60 ft lbs each, then to 85 ft lbs each to finish them off (small block).

Think of it as stretching the block as you are tightening them up. Want to tighten them up evenly as you go so you are not pulling things out of shape.

Want to maintain an even centerline on all crankshaft main journals.

360 Crank.jpg

OK got it, now on the #3 how snug do you set it before you tap the crank back & forth then tightening it (to 30)?

Start in the middle alternate left and right out to the ends. Slightly rocking the crank after each main to make sure no tight spots as you go.

My particular approach is to bring them up to 30 ft lbs each, then bring them up to 60 ft lbs each, then to 85 ft lbs each to finish them off (small block).

Think of it as stretching the block as you are tightening them up. Want to tighten them up evenly as you go so you are not pulling things out of shape.

Want to maintain an even centerline on all crankshaft main journals.

View attachment 1715908895
My method is very similar. I start with taking up all the slack and just snug the bolts down. Starting with #3 and alternating toward both ends, I tighten the bolts to 20lbs first. Then using a brass hammer, I tap on all the caps in all directions to make sure everything is seated properly and nothing is binding. I then tighten them (using the same sequence) to half the final specs, checking to make sure nothing is binding. Then on to the final torque specs. I then remove each cap (one at a time between re-torquing that bolt and then removing the next) to plastigage the bearing to make sure the clearance is correct.

I think I got it except for the squaring up procedure. OK so on setting the #3 thrust I snug its 2 bolts then lightly pry crank back & forth to square the halves up then start torqueing as mentioned earlier. All good?

I think I got it except for the squaring up procedure. OK so on setting the #3 thrust I snug its 2 bolts then lightly pry crank back & forth to square the halves up then start torqueing as mentioned earlier. All good?
Or whack it with a dead blow.

I'm no "engine builder" but at this point dont forget to check crankshaft end play once all torqued down.

-
Back