Main Caps for 3rd member

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Im starting my build on my 741 case for my spare set of gears. The case that didnt come with any main caps but my brother had a set of caps laying around so I grabbed them. One side matches up perfectly, but the threads on the other side do not thread in the same distance as the housing.

I spun in the adjusters to see if they would work and I got them about half way in on both sides before it got to tight for me to do by hand. I did this with just the bare housing, I didnt go further with the spanner wrench. Oh and the pic the threads do line up, I just have the cap loose right now.

Do any of you think this is going to be a problem?

View attachment IMG_20150613_203043408.jpg

we did not have any luck with caps from a different rear end working...

I'm just gonna come out and say that................housing is junk.

That is, unless you have some method of obtaining blank caps, chucking it into a fair sized lathe, and threading the new caps.

I'm just gonna come out and say that................housing is junk.

That is, unless you have some method of obtaining blank caps, chucking it into a fair sized lathe, and threading the new caps.

Agreed. I have measured the cap depths from a few different chunks and have yet to ever find any of the same dimension. Some I have measured vary a whole bunch from one side to the other so if you swapped them around they wouldn't work

what most people don't know is you have to have the ORIGINAL main caps that came with any rear differential case whether it be-- Chrysler ,Ford , GM , Toyota --- these caps are line-bored from the factory -- same as main caps on an engine --- that is why they cannot be switched side to side when assembling a differential.
and why you cannot take caps from other cases to fit the one you have --- I see cases at swap meets all the time without caps -- nothing more than scrap metal -- stay away from these.

An expensive fix would be to purchase 2 Mark Williams billet steel caps and have them machined to fit. Overkill for low HP applications.

http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=609

Install instructions -

[ame]http://www.markwilliams.com/servicebull/sb0050.pdf[/ame]

Be cheaper to find another complete third member. John

Hell if you were closer I'd give you a 741 case!

Me too...

Shipping from FL to MN is about $30-45. Might ask around to the mopar people in your area. Seems nobody wants the 741 case, which is quite funny.

-
Back