major repair

-

66MOPAR77

Reaction score
Found some frame damage to the upper frame rail on my 66 Valiant any suggestion on the repair.

yes just bought it 2 weeks ago. not sure what happend but the drivers side is bad and there is some surface rust only on passangers side

My 66 was rusted in the same area, but a little worse...I drove mine home, and about 2 miles from my house I noticed when i hit a bump (going slow, thankfully) that the steering wheel would jerk out of my hands and to the right, and I would have to yank it back over. I limped it the rest of the way, not sure what happened but just wanting to get it home (I had put ins on it, but no plates, etc). Turns out the rear portion of the uca mount ripped away from the subframe, and was letting my uca "pivot" on the front portion of the mount! Needless to say, I didn't drive it after that. I planned on fixing it, but after closer inspection the entire car was basically gone.

Anyway, there are a few aftermarket places that sell repair kits for that area, or you could replace the entire subframe on that side. Lots of work, but still fixable.

the bottom and sides seem to be in good shape it just the top and upper controll on the front side and its rusted through about 8" long which sucks LOL

I have looked at your other threads. From what I can tell the car has major rust throughout.

This rust is well beyond cosmetic. Key structural areas are affected.

I'm going to be brutally honest here.

Part it out. You can buy a way better car for less than the rust repair will cost on that thing.

it looks like it had water run in on that side from the hood the weather striping was gone on that side. about 6-8"

yea, i did a front left on a reeal fm3 pink 340 duster... hard job but worth it on that paticular car. i do not know if it is worth it on that. mine turned out perfect, yet i do not think i would touch somone else for less than 1,000.00 per side

I Took a Second Look At The Frame Rail, Bottom And Sides Are Solid Thas Where All Ur Support Is The Top Plate That is covers the frame rail is rusted out and the front upper controll arm bracket is rusted into rest of frame rail past fire wall is solid and no concerns there

I have looked at your other threads. From what I can tell the car has major rust throughout.

Part it out. You can buy a way better car for less than the rust repair will cost on that thing.

:sign3::sign3::sign3::sign3:

I hate to say it having read your intro post about it, but I have to agree. That rot is bad juju my friend. I'm just saying what I would do, I went real deep in the pocket repairing rust on my car that wasn't even as serious as that. Just wait till you strip the paint off and pull up the carpet. If you're dedicated enough it can be fixed, anything is repairable really with enough effort and $$$$$$ but you have to think about whether or not it will be worth it in the end. It's your decision to make but if it were mine I would part it out, collect some scrapper cash, and use the money to buy a more solid car.

X2.
Find a better car without rust and use it as a parts car.

-
Back