Making old nuts, bolts and clips new again

-

blue440duster

Reaction score
How did you do it?.....

I'm getting down to the reassembly of a lot of the sub assemblies and I have dozens of labeled yogurt cups full of screws, bolts, nuts clips etc. and since I have painted or powder-coated everything so far I don't want to use crusty and rusty fasteners on these nice clean parts....

So tell me how did you get yours cleaned? and with what you cleaned them with?, then what did you use to coat them afterwards.

I'm all ears.

When we do old engines in boats, the runner bolts have to be reused because they are hard to find. We toss em in a cup of hydrogen peroxide, and then use a brush to clean the piss out of them. Then they get painted. It won't remove all the rust, but some.

I have had really great success with cleaning the fasteners and bolts with brake cleaner and then soaking them in Evaporust. I've been surprised how well almost all my nuts and bolts have cleaned up. I will be able to reuse almost all of them. I also bought a ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight.

If you are not in too big of a hurry, mix 1 part molasses with 9 parts water. Rust will disappear. Google it!

Evaporust is amazing. I drop bolts, nuts in margarine container with this stuff and a day later they are clean. Wash with water, dry and paint.

Riddler

I use Eastwoods metal blackening system.It involves bead blasting them and dipping them in a solution for 20 seconds to turn them black again.Then you spray them with a sealer to keep them from rusting.Works really well!!

I've used Evaporust with excellent results. Usually let them sit over night or 24 hours, rinse, wire brush the threads and they look brand new.

Tried Coke? Put it in overnight and see if it does anything. Stories abound of its miracle uses.....

Another vote for Evaporust. Works great and you can reuse it for a while too.

This master cylinder pushrod was completely coated in surface rust. It looks brand new after soaking in Evaporust overnight.

Only tip is to get any real heavy dirt or grease off before dipping the parts, it dilutes and weakens it much quicker. $21 a gallon @ HF.

Attachments

• IMG_9007.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 425
I agree Evapo-Rust works great! You can get it at most auto parts stores...

Very good stuff....... I Have had great success in using this for my restoration. Bought a 5 Gallon Bucket of it from Northern Tools and still using it after filtering the gunk out....

I'm anxious to try the electrolysis method. Don't know about bolts/ small parts though................

Evaporust is AWESOME !

I also use my sandblast cabinet a lot. Little stuff I put in a cooking pot and chase it around.

I'm also using the Eastwood metal blackening. Works best immediately after sandblasting. Rather than the sealer, for threaded stuff I put diesel on them, and dry with a heat gun.

Ospho is phosphoric acid. Evaporust is far more effective for removing rust. Here's a blurb about how. The first time you use it, it's just shocking :)

EVAPO-RUST® works through selective chelation. This is a process in which a large synthetic molecule forms a bond with metals and holds them in solution. Most chelating agents bind many different metals. The active ingredient in EVAPO-RUST® bonds to iron exclusively. It can remove iron from iron oxide but is too weak to remove iron from steel where the iron is held much more strongly. Once the chelating agent has removed the iron, a sulfur bearing organic molecule pulls the iron away from the chelator and forms a ferric sulfate complex which remains water soluble. This frees the chelating agent to remove more iron from rust.

Thanks guys I really like the possibilities of Eastwood's metal blackening system so I think I will also try their FastEtch rust remover looks like the same as Evaporust

Thanks guys I really like the possibilities of Eastwood's metal blackening system so I think I will also try their FastEtch rust remover looks like the same as Evaporust

Etch means acid. Fast etch is phosphoric acid. Not the same at all.

-
Back