Making progress on my Demon

-
Unaltered core support is 26"

20201011_101759.jpg

20201011_101818.jpg

You saw what mine measured. It's a factory 340 car. I don't know what the difference is between the two. Are you measuring just the opening for the radiator? I've been looking through all the sources for a factory 26 inch radiator support in an A body. I'm not having much luck at finding any information. I measured my friends 318 Duster, and another friends 340 Duster and asked another friend of mine to measure his 71 340 Demon and all measurements were 22 inches. Maybe you or someone else on here can find out why there are discrepancies. Would a factory A/C car have a bigger radiator support and 26 inch radiator? Maybe I can find the answer with some digging.

Last edited:
Yes, just measured the opening for the radiator. 26". Mine is a factory 340 1971 Demon. I know of a 71 Duster 340 car also with 26". Typically, at least on B bodies, any AC car has the 26". My 68 Charger is 318 with AC and it too has 26" core support

Yes, just measured the opening for the radiator. 26". Mine is a factory 340 1971 Demon. I know of a 71 Duster 340 car also with 26". Typically, at least on B bodies, any AC car has the 26". My 68 Charger is 318 with AC and it too has 26" core support
Well I'll be. Wonder what the difference could be with mine being a 71 340 car and yours too. But yours has the 26 and mine the 22? I'd sure like to find out why. This has me puzzled. But I do believe with a good 22 inch radiator properly set up with a Milodon high flow water pump, 160 Milodon performance thermostat, good mechanical fan that draws well along with an electric fan to use for sitting in traffic that it should cool pretty good..

Last edited:
Well I'll be. Wonder what the difference could be with mine being a 71 340 car and yours too. But yours has the 26 and mine the 22? I'd sure like to find out why. This has me puzzled. But I do believe with a good 22 inch radiator properly set up with a Milodon high flow water pump, 160 Milodon performance thermostat, good mechanical fan that draws well along with an electric fan to use for sitting in traffic that it should cool pretty good.

A good 22" should be fine. They make some really nice ones nowadays. Dad's 69 Barracuda was /6 car, now a 383 runs 180-190 most days with 22". He is going to a aluminum one this winter

A good 22" should be fine. They make some really nice ones nowadays. Dad's 69 Barracuda was /6 car, now a 383 runs 180-190 most days with 22". He is going to a aluminum one this winter
I've been reading up on these Cold Case radiators.They appear to be a decent radiator. I have an aluminum radiator already but it has the tanks on the side like a Chevy radiator. I'd have to weld aluminum angle on the sides so it would bolt up to my factory holes plus it looks a bit small. Your Dads car switching to aluminum may cool a bit better especially with the better designs of today.

Now you boys got me curious. I will measure my Demon tomorrow while I am out in shop. I don’t remember off top of my head. I just bought the biggest radiator I could fit in there!
Measure just the radiator opening. End to end. Mine measured 22 & 3/4's

Do you have a Cold Case radiator in your car?
no. at the moment i have a new, stock radiator, for a 74'-76' 360 a-body that i'm trying because of space issues with my March pulley setup. my aluminum one is a 5 or 6 year old Champion that's probably going back in the car with a contour fan setup. if i end up getting a new aluminum rad it would be a Cold Case.
did you go 26" or 22"?

no. at the moment i have a new, stock radiator, for a 74'-76' 360 a-body that i'm trying because of space issues with my March pulley setup. my aluminum one is a 5 or 6 year old Champion that's probably going back in the car with a contour fan setup. if i end up getting a new aluminum rad it would be a Cold Case.
did you go 26" or 22"?
22 inch..A 26 would be too big for the radiator opening.

Measure just the radiator opening. End to end. Mine measured 22 & 3/4's

I just went and checked, mine measures 23" in a factory 318 Duster. 26 radiator fit right in though, ~1" per side is blocked, but I wouldn't consider it useless, still a larger fluid capacity in the radiator.

I just went and checked, mine measures 23" in a factory 318 Duster. 26 radiator fit right in though, ~1" per side is blocked, but I wouldn't consider it useless, still a larger fluid capacity in the radiator.
I ordered a Cold Case radiator. Should be a direct fit and bolt up to my factory holes. The setup I'm going to use should work pretty good. I'll be getting it in today so we'll see how it goes.

Put my new radiator in. Bolted right in to the factory bolt holes. May have to do a bit of hose searching because the bottom hose neck is about 4 inches away from the oil filter. Cold Case makes one beautiful radiator. Looks close to stock but in polished aluminum , and the tig welds look awesome.

20201015_142327.jpg

20201015_142424.jpg

20201015_142438.jpg

20201015_142448.jpg

Installed my new radiator today. Bolted right up to the factory holes. May have to do a little hose searching as the lower radiator neck is 4 inches away from the oil filter. Cold Case makes one beautiful radiator. Looks close to stock but in polished aluminum. Tig welds look awesome.

20201015_142327.jpg

20201015_142424.jpg

20201015_142438.jpg

20201015_142448.jpg

did that come with the brass petcock? nice
It sure did. And they even threw in a billet aluminum radiator cap cover. It was boxed nicely and looks awesome. Fit my Demon just like an original. I ordered the one they sell for a 67-69 Big Block Dart. Part # MOP756A-5..

Last edited:
It sure did. And they even threw in a billet aluminum radiator cap cover. It was boxed nicely and looks awesome. Fit my Demon just like an original. I ordered the one they sell for a 67-69 Big Block Dart. Part # MOP756A-5..

Looks nice, but let us know how it cools .

Went with the Gates upper and lower radiator hoses for a 67-69 Big Block Dart. The upper fit just fine but the lower one was up against my oil filter, 51515R Wix Racing Filter which is a long filter. Took it off and put a 51085 short Wix Filter on. It is still up against the shorter filter but not as much as the longer one. The filter has the hose pushed in slightly over 1/4 inch which I don't think will make much of a difference. Has anyone else out there encountered this? If so were you able to find a different hose that worked better? I looked through all the radiator hoses at the part store and couldn't find anything that'll work. I looked and found a aluminum 90 that Jeg's sells. I thought maybe I could attach the aluminum 90 to the lower radiator outlet and put a 1 3/4 flex hose to it and run it over to the water pump housing. I looked for a flex hose with a 90 on one end and found some but they were all 1 1/2. Couldn't find one in 1 3/4. Maybe someone out there has run into this same issue. I can go with the lower hose I have now but it'll be up against the oil filter a little bit.

20201017_120957.jpg

20201017_171208.jpg

-
Back