making sense of dash cluster connector measurements

-

64longroof

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was trying to verify which of the 2 dk blue "Ign 1" wires at the ignition switch goes to the round dash cluster connector, so I can tap into it for a 12 V source for the 5V transistor upgrade.
With my multimeter on the 20 ohms setting, and one meter probe stuck in at the 2-dk blue wires of the ignition switch connector, Battery disconnected, I got these ohm readings at the various wires in the round instrument cluster connector:

Lt Blue 43
BLK 11
violet …. (open)
Or 12
Green 3
Red 3
Bright Blue 0.5
Grey 6.5
Brown 6.5

Question1: I know one of the dark blue IGN 1 wires is sposta go to the gauges as a 12 V feed.....does this become the above black wire? IIRC, the manual says it does.

Question 2: why all these different ohm readings at other wires? I would think they would all show infinity ohms (open circuits). This makes me think there is a major short going on. But I have not had any electrical spooky things happening.

Question 3: the acutal full sized 64 shop manual gives different colors for nearly all wires in this round connector, while a manual I downloaded from somewhere at this site agrees with all the above colors I listed. Was there a mid year wiring change? Just for kicks?

The other IGN 1 dk blue wire goes to the ballast resistor.....how would this ever connect to the dash cluster?

Thanks for any input...….64 Dart.

Last edited:
The way you are measuring resistance won't tell you anything. Many of these wires are in parallel with others or will back feed through the fuse block, so there's no telling what you're actually measuring.
The easiest thing to do is turn the key to the run position and see which pin in the round connector has power.

Yup. Try not to overthink it.
A test light is handy for most electrical testing in the classic cars.
Checking resistance is ok if you are dealing with a voltage drop issue.

What I would do is post a good clear photo of the front and rear of the cluster on here. That will give you what amounts to a "diagram" of the cluster.

Also, doesn't the manual show the function of the wires at the connector, regardless of color?

You can figure out what some of them are from this by tracing them back

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1964/64DartB.jpg

connector.jpg

Tan, Light Green are the dash turn signal indicators

Gray is oil pressure light/ sender

Dark blue is "ignition run" and is likely what is powering the gauge IVR which might be inside the fuel gauge.......See if yours has 3 terminals

Red is high beam indicator

Orange is ALWAYS dash dimmer controlled lighting

Violet is temp sender

Black I THINK is "accessory power"

Light blue is fuel tank sender

Last edited:
Thanks. Wasn't trying to measure resistance, just continuity. Skykeith, appreciate understanding now that some of these circuits are parallel. From what I gather , two of the cluster wires do end up back at the fuse block.
The confusion was that in the actual big manual, dk blue is supposed to be for feeding 12V to the dash, but in my case and in the pdf, black feeds it.
I bit the bullet, chopped that wire off and fed my 5V transistor from this wire, as Red fishh or 67Dart273 mentioned in another thread. Now, after 5 dash cluster removals and installations, I have gauages!! I think adding the circuit board ground also helped.
Thank you all!! This calls for a financial donation to the board.

-
Back