Man at the smoke

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
been helping my buddy work on his cuda again. This is the 440 i was talking about in the past post. I can cover the specs if necesarry but what we have is a smoke problem. This is supposed to be a fresh rebuild with about 2000 miles on it. The guy he bought it off of said it had been setting for about 18 month and that he though it may need valve seals. Meaning that is smoked when first started then buned off and was fine. The guy had some ratty exhaust so you couldnt see the smoke untill he put new exhaust. man you can see it now.

It really only smokes on the odd bank, or the Driver side half of the engine. The other side is not to bad. The motor runs strong and pulls hard. I loaned him my MSD set up and that biggs 950 and it snaps clean and runns up hard to revlimiter at 6000. Any Ideas short of a freshen up to try and clear the smoke. I was thinking to check the valves and fresh plugs and give her hell. He wants to have some fun with it before he has to pull the motor. So any secrets would help.

thanks Chad

I had a car that I left sitting for a year or so. When I started it up it smoked a bunch. I had to drive it about 150 miles to another town. As I recall it used about a quart in the first 75 miles or so, then it was fine & I never had another problem with it. I figured the rings were gummed up & stuck in the grooves. Find a bottle of something with the word "MIRACLE" written on it & pour it in the oil. :thumleft: Maybe another bottle for the gas tank! :finga: Or, maybe you can just drive the piss out of it for a bit & it'll all be fine! :blob:

:burnout:

What color is the smoke ? Blue is oil, white is water and black is fuel.

it was black untill i changed the carb and now its blue, its still running a little rich and i can hear one of the rollers sounds like its loose.

Id start with an oil change. Maybe its thin and filled with gas. Plugs couldnt hurt either. Then drive it for awhile to see it it clears up.

yep start with oil and filter change,
drive it for about 75 miles,and change the oil & filter again.

Use Non- synthetic oil, to start.

My buddy's 71 challenger 440 smoked and fouled plugs. Turned out it was pulling oil into cylinders #1&3 through the intake port. I probobly could have just re-torqued the intake but I replaced the gasket and cured it.

hey that makes sense. i noticed the other day a small pool of oil on the intake and I wiped it up. The next time I was over there I notice the same pool back again around cyl 3 and 5

If you pull the carb, and he runs a single plane, you can use a light and mirror to see the intake valves..Look for wet oil on them if it's seals or guides. If they were "redone" but you can only see new pliable seals, I'd say the guides are junk. It may be only one cylinder..You can also do a leak down test and see which ones the bad one..If you cant tell by the old plugs.

well went by and checked the intake bolts and sure enough they were loose. I think he is going to get a valley pan and intake gasket for this weekend just to see if this is the problem.

Hey MOPER what are we looking for when we pull the intake? we will take any advice yall have to offer.

we will most likely change the gasket and adjust the valves and put in some new plugs and change the oil. Hopefully that will cure the problems. If not we will try something else.

-
Back